diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

I was thinking with all the locale hardware stores closed today I'd have a tough time
completing the battery pack today, but Home depot was open, sweet!

IMG_4346.JPG

Hurry up.
D71, seems I may need to look at my hall sensor :(
I replaced the motors stock sensor with one I can get documentation on, but it's
not setup correctly yet, IMO

IMG_4349.JPG

but we got snow coming next few days so I do have some time

I got some abs plastic coming tomorrow to help protect the busbars from "O SHIT!"

IMG_4350.JPG

this seems and easy retrofit, they only want $400.00

Capture378.PNG

Last edited:
seems the drive was setup as trapezoidal output, changed to sinusoidal
and it cleaned thing up. I think the starting low RPM issue is related to the current limits
I have set.

IMG_4357.JPG

Last edited:
the abs plastic (1mm) does give me a warm&fuzzy when handling these packs

IMG_4359.JPG

the speed controller offers a number of input option. sweet!

for tuning I'm using PPM input
for golf cart going to use ADC input, with forwards/reverse switch

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: D71
Think am going to order 8 of these. There is $30 shipping on each…. still Cheapest 10k seen.

IMG_5975.jpeg

Think am going to order 8 of these.
D71, 200Ah at 48V would be sweet, yesterday I just connected by LifePO4 400Ah 24V which costed $2500.
and they are sweet!, after running last month on flooded (grid charger came on 6 times)

that does seem like a good deal.
I would give my left nut to have a way to see each cell voltage, them have bluetooth :)

Last edited:
IMG_5980.jpeg

I love the blue tooth feature. Bluetooth batteries Spoiled me with current 5k battery bank. Bluetooth Instrumentation…$4 less get non-bluetooth. Think it is worth extra $4 for bluetooth.

Plus $240 shipping is $1512.00 10k of batteries. Spend extra savings on another inverter system.

IMG_5979.jpeg

IMG_5978.jpeg
IMG_5977.jpeg
IMG_5976.jpeg

why 2 120V inverters? you thinking of split phasing them?
I have Mpp solar 3048 but yes it could be split phase. Need buy parallel boards-kits to run them in split phase. I believe in back up to back ups. Boy Scout thing. Redundancy.

testing the 3 different packs I currently have

View attachment 208166
Not sure what you have drawn in…. Arrows and graphed. Are they both along same line for performance? Looks like voltage has dual lines. Hard to see. Same for blue?

Btw my secondary system means if one crashes then the other might survive. I think point of use power is best approach. Whole home is to much. I am looking run Mini Split heat pump with an additional system. Grid Power use to go out several times here.

I had my older Canadian solar panels laying around …. set them up in temp use…great sunshine… panels are rated
325w each but with both hooked in series get a MPP Solar 3048 display combined ~450watts around ~65vdc. Calculated about combined ~6.92amps. The Himassi 51.2 batteries are charged with blue tooth display of 100% SOC.

Redemption the panels hit 590 watts and pushed 10 amps into batteries just a while ago - towards end of day. 7 Apr
I was cranking a oil - electric radiant heater pulling 1500watts as a load WHEN IT PICKED UP….to 590 watts for the panels. Some of the PV output was being used by heater…..

These are used Santansolar panels….set at recommended and tested best angles according to pv website program. I’ve also got several other panels. None of them match stated watts. None. Wait …1 Exception …. smallest panel from Ecco worthy rips …it is 25w but doing ~35 watts. For some reason small panels do better.

Also tested with a Victron Smart Solar 150/35 same basic results. The bluetooth on victron is very limited for range. My himassi batteries have 2x bluetooth range.
I used Victron with micro system to play. I use micro system charge truck battery some times and in emergency phone charger with pwm charge controller
IMG_5943.jpeg

Open voltages with no loads - than all panels do ….. great specs …almost spot on. Under load not so much. Real World. Nickel dime You probably see the same.

Also changed all MC4 ends to bouge rv. Warning bouge rv mc4 plug ends in 1 of my kits do not fit bouge rv 10ga cable without whittling out the hole on compression cap so wire can fit inside of it. Bouge rv 10 ga pv cable claims to be all copper but when cutting it looks aluminum coated or tinned. Weird. Center of wire looks copper. Just by looks say it is copper….. . BTW… The mc4 ends for my Canadian solar 330watt panels WERE considerably different from Bouge RV mc4 ends. So….. read it is best to always match the mc4 connector ends. THEY MATCH NOW. Nickel Dime. Btw mc4 were rated 30amp.

Ever notice ppl claiming to be totally off grid also have - recommend ice - gas - diesel generators …… 🤣😀🤡

Solar is not sustainable as stand alone. Unless you want to go nuts with OVER panel Over battery then WE are still at mercy of sun.

I found local guy ~100 miles away …selling NEW Q-Cell 580watt bifacial panels for $145 -$150 each. They are huge…. Heavy awkward too. 4 of them would be nice…addition. Like all hobbies has to be checked. Think have enough solar… snicker… can never get enough.

IMG_5986.jpeg

I think 2320watts tracking the sun with movement would about equal ~2x fixed ground mount array. That is “If” it mostly hits optimal wattage …. Less ground space used up too.

I think am just going with direct power at point of use vs using my 240v split phase transfer switch. All need is 120v for emergency. I never plan to run constant power just emergency. The present inverter does a ups pass through…I wired 120v 30amp rv input cable for it. Can plug it up to shore or gas generator with that plug. So could tie loads to it to run all the time. It would be automatic - ups in power outages.

The problem is these cheap AIO inverters like we have are not known to last.
Example:

When pushed they give up the ghost. The light weight is a tell. 😀 Best to figure them as 2x over rated for specs. I think Victron can take the heat but took chance and think will be fine if I never go much over half rating …. 🤡 Hind sight is always 20/20. Right? Victron was 3x price. Hmmmm….

Cloud seeders were out again on 7 April they were doing crosses everywhere. Rain cold today It was nice sunshine on 7 April blue sky. Great solar. Now it is nasty cold raining 26w output from 650w fixed array.
IMG_5989.jpeg
Not sure how much weight this cabinet can take. They say 100pounds shelf but I highly doubt that. Not enough structure.

Last edited:
The bluetooth on victron is very limited for range. My himassi batteries have 2x bluetooth range.
D71, I get 300ft range from my bluetooth device, that lets me graph the voltages and currents over
days, months or years I hope, inside my office.

Capture252.PNG

Last edited:
My bluetooth batteries have excellent range. That victron 150-35 mppt bluetooth is not so good - they went cheap or never upgraded on bt.
Most of time things get cheaper but with crazy inflation maybe not.
Long ago, I remember paying $40 a mb for computer ram. 🤣😀 a 10mb hard drive was $500. ‘’Wow 10mb nobody will ever use that much 640k system ram.” Snicker.

I love playing with cheap raspberry pi 400. Bought one on pre-order when it was announced years ago. I have extended solid state drive for it. You can do a lot of things with them. I might tie it into the mpp solar inverter. Solar Assistant is suppose to be good software. Just as a hobby….that 10.1 Screen also in picture might suit it just fine - attach inside cabinet door or system…fold down. The actual raspberry os is pretty good. Victron has downloadable software for raspberry too. Ultimate hack would be get bt batteries, inverter on rs232, victron mppt to all talk.
IMG_5992.jpeg

I am amazed at how much batteries changed for pricing in a year + time. I could have about doubled batteries from 5k to 10k for same money now. Can’t get heated batteries but can get the rest. I bought heated batteries so could charge them in could weather. They still limit charging until heated. I tried them out in winter time. I’d bet could use heating pad or a heated throw. Having bt bms batteries with temp readings displayed is a good tool in cold weather.
Solar panels pop up cheap too. Everywhere.

How does this array look? Can you imagine the obvious shading on those side panels from the main side? I guess some ppl just go vertical. Now imagine if the pyramids were energy collectors and the externals were stolen cannibalized. Like crack heads stealing copper. 🤡

IMG_5991.jpeg

Sucks getting old 🤣 is the alternative better or worse?

Not sure what you have drawn in…. Arrows and graphed. Are they both along same line for performance?
for the past 10 years I've been playing with the Arduino based boards, fell in lover with them.

z3.png

the dip in the middle of red graph line is caused by shading from trees

I have 2 computers that always stay running, the blue line only changes when I turn on/off my 42" monitor.

my Lithium Ion battery pack BMS
IMG_4156.JPG

these little windows 10 computers only draw 7W

IMG_4368.JPG

Last edited:
Can’t get heated batteries but can get the rest.
while I have a warm&fuzzy with my battery packs in the garage, for what they cost I
may think about bring them inside for the winter. and just hope I don't end with a up in smoke topic :oops:

Are you planning to run them in series? (I wouldn't do it)
Why don't you post your build in the regular section?
Actually it would get off topic real quick. …moved here ….
‘’Are you planning to run them in series ….‘’

Been considering buying another mpp solar 3048 with parallel boards and running split phase 240. Mount it opposite side of cabinet…for current 3048 …they have to share same battery bank. Tie into main transfer switch at breaker panel….with split phase. Original plan when started journey.

Think will just get a different inverter and those 8 batteries for another setup. Why bought the Victron mppt - as build point of new system avoid the bs with code enforcement. Most code enforcement are typical govt workers.

The Ampinvt 3000 at 24vdc is probably getting the nod for emergency kitchen duty with my 4 older batteries rearranged repurposed. The victron 1200 can’t run several things in my kitchen. The MPP Solar handles those item no problem and runs refrigerator.

Microwave draws 1707 watts
Cosori Air Fryer is 1712 watts

I like transformers - old guy. Ampinvt is suppose be toroidal transformer

Think will set up the current Mpp solar 3048 with 8 new batteries to run my mini split. I hate sweating when grid goes down. Sleeping in middle of desert was awful more unhappy with temp swing than sand vipers or jihad crazies. It was sometimes really cold then swing really hot in the day. Heat pump AC with constant temp is fantastic sleep aid.

BTW
I’m not looking for help just chatting. 🤣😁 Showing Tommy what am considering as another system.
This chit chat post is off topic anyway. Ever notice Most of chit chat is off topic. Or if posted in regular forum sometimes ends up here in Basement as gone off topic. We are rejects. 🤣

I’d hate to think ppl on chit chat were not doing something solar. Especially in the green energy post for climate worshippers. We might all be more common then not …. Solar is a hobby to me. 🤣👉🏻😱

All day long the mpp solar 3048 not Showing much above 30 watts from temp 650 watt panel array. Not sustainable. Everything is topped off though drawing about 50+ watts for AIO.

while I have a warm&fuzzy with my battery packs in the garage, for what they cost I
may think about bring them inside for the winter. and just hope I don't end with a up in smoke topic :oops:
I’ve got my lifepo in metal cabinet with wheels on it for a reason. If it catches on fire and I get to it going for a final ride - push. 😀

Had weapon light with CR2 3.0v lithium battery blow up. …. Burned my hand. I threw all those batteries out Can you imagine life death situation and your weapon catches on fire burning your hand. 🤡

It was actually an explosion blew holes through light housing. I don’t trust lithium.

Had weapon light with CR2 3.0v lithium battery blow up
wouldn't a light mess with your night vision? I remember night fire training in basic.

I think we were the first to try laser sights on night fire training with the M16 that was 1976.
I thought they sucked for the ranges they had us using them.

I'm storing my Lithium Ion battery packs in a Kiln :ROFLMAO:

Actually it would get off topic real quick. …moved here ….
😂 Understood.
‘’Are you planning to run them in series ….‘’

Been considering buying another mpp solar 3048 with parallel boards and running split phase 240. Mount it opposite side of cabinet…for current 3048 …they have to share same battery bank. Tie into main transfer switch at breaker panel….with split phase. Original plan when started journey.
Makes sense.
Think will just get a different inverter and those 8 batteries for another setup. Why bought the Victron mppt - as build point of new system avoid the bs with code enforcement. Most code enforcement are typical govt workers.
Don't have to deal with code enforcement if they don't know about it in the first place, "land of the free"...
The Ampinvt 3000 at 24vdc is probably getting the nod for emergency kitchen duty with my 4 older batteries rearranged repurposed. The victron 1200 can’t run several things in my kitchen. The MPP Solar handles those item no problem and runs refrigerator.

Microwave draws 1707 watts
Cosori Air Fryer is 1712 watts

I like transformers - old guy. Ampinvt is suppose be toroidal transformer
I like transformers too but my HF SRNE has really been impressive so far (it's still early though, getting close to 4mWh solar through it...time will tell).
Think will set up the current Mpp solar 3048 with 8 new batteries to run my mini split. I hate sweating when grid goes down. Sleeping in middle of desert was awful more unhappy with temp swing than sand vipers or jihad crazies. It was sometimes really cold then swing really hot in the day. Heat pump AC with constant temp is fantastic sleep aid.
I'm very temperaturemental myself... Minisplit down around 62F and I sleep like a baby, then flip it to heat to get out of bed 😂
BTW
I’m not looking for help just chatting. 🤣😁 Showing Tommy what am considering as another system.
Understood, just don't want to see anyone unhappy with the issues running 12V LiFePo4 in series can bring about.
This chit chat post is off topic anyway. Ever notice Most of chit chat is off topic. Or if posted in regular forum sometimes ends up here in Basement as gone off topic. We are rejects. 🤣
Not rejects, to cool for everyone else 😉
I’d hate to think ppl on chit chat were not doing something solar. Especially in the green energy post for climate worshippers. We might all be more common then not …. Solar is a hobby to me. 🤣👉🏻😱
Lots of the trolls here aren't doing a damned thing with solar...
It started as hobby for me, might be an addiction now... Energy independence....
All day long the mpp solar 3048 not Showing much above 30 watts from temp 650 watt panel array. Not sustainable. Everything is topped off though drawing about 50+ watts for AIO.
Yea I have ~11kWh of panels up (I started with 200W...) and it's not enough for winter, even with ~40kWh of DIY LiFePo4...

wouldn't a light mess with your night vision? I remember night fire training in basic.

I think we were the first to try laser sights on night fire training with the M16 that was 1976.
I thought they sucked for the ranges they had us using them.

I'm storing my Lithium Ion battery packs in a Kiln :ROFLMAO:

Tools

Absolutely on light. Ever shine a light in someones face at night? They are temp blinded and their night vision going away is painful …. The Strobe weapon light disorients and blinds them too. Only bad thing if they are shooting will fire at light. Why we trained holding light off to side weak hand. The weapon light were made to mount - dismount. I hit release and slung it off weapon.

Nvg with tiny pen light red filter was like a search light.

Tracers were often a death wish at night. Draws line right back to you. Interlocking fire at night uses a lot of ammo. Laser range finders are tools. They use to paint targets. We have toy drones and such for that now, as far as that goes we have mini drones that drop he explovies with shaped charges. Molten copper still defeats armor.

Ever seen a shut off box blow up… molten copper from them cut right through the metal boxes - normally the direct front. Always told ppl never stand in front of the shut off boxes when turning on power to equipment.

Btw giggle when watch fire dept pull up and spray ev that is on fire with their water hose. Snicker “ It won’t go out” Periodic Table shit.

diy solar

diy solar
Back