diy solar

diy solar

America's melting pot

😂 Understood.

Makes sense.

Don't have to deal with code enforcement if they don't know about it in the first place, "land of the free"...

I like transformers too but my HF SRNE has really been impressive so far (it's still early though, getting close to 4mWh solar through it...time will tell).

I'm very temperaturemental myself... Minisplit down around 62F and I sleep like a baby, then flip it to heat to get out of bed 😂

Understood, just don't want to see anyone unhappy with the issues running 12V LiFePo4 in series can bring about.

Not rejects, to cool for everyone else 😉

Lots of the trolls here aren't doing a damned thing with solar...
It started as hobby for me, might be an addiction now... Energy independence....

Yea I have ~11kWh of panels up (I started with 200W...) and it's not enough for winter, even with ~40kWh of DIY LiFePo4...
Never heard of that brand look like AIO
‘’HF SRNE‘’

They govt basturds see the obvious solar panels and don’t know what to do. Govt Intruders. The govt is searching for money in any shape form faction to fee grab. Going to get worse. Ppl in germany use to be taxed for furniture and shit inside homes.

Anyway I took my little arrays down - moved back into garage. They were in way of new building coming in. Damn the buildings are expensive now. They are crazy with 10x10 shipping containers prices too. I was going to set everything up in one 10x10 away from house. Spray foam inside to insulate. Mount few panels high and low on it too. Still thinking about it but just get 20 ft shipping container mount panels on top and side. The 10x10 cost as much as the 20x10.

12v in series are managed with bt monitoring. I would not run them without bt. The heaters mean they draw down uneven …. I throw fire at each 12 volt individually while connected but 52.1 v circuit breaker opened. Heated batteries are good - bad.

These batteries caught my eye too.

IMG_5994.png

Never heard of that brand look like AIO
‘’HF SRNE‘’

They govt basturds see the obvious solar panels and don’t know what to do. Govt Intruders. The govt is searching for money in any shape form faction to fee grab. Going to get worse. Ppl in germany use to be taxed for furniture and shit inside homes.

Anyway I took my little arrays down - moved back into garage. They were in way of new building coming in. Damn the buildings are expensive now. They are crazy with 10x10 shipping containers prices too. I was going to set everything up in one 10x10 away from house. Spray foam inside to insulate. Mount few panels high and low on it too. Still thinking about it but just get 20 ft shipping container mount panels on top and side. The 10x10 cost as much as the 20x10.

12v in series are managed with bt monitoring. I would not run them without bt. The heaters mean they draw down uneven …. I throw fire at each 12 volt individually while connected but 52.1 v circuit breaker opened. Heated batteries are good - bad.

These batteries caught my eye too.

View attachment 208284
That's not a bad price. Battery Hookup should get more attention here.
I'm using JBD BMS as well, no complaints besides lack of active balancing.

Also check out 18650 Battery Store.

Biggest issues I've seen with 12V in series is not staying balanced... 1 pack gets outta wack and you're up shit creek without a paddle. Just make sure the BMS components can handle the 48V (60V)...

Reactions: D71
420OhmsPA, they got me on the price, I got a transformer 7.5kw cheap($200.00) but the thing
draws 200W idle :(
Damn that's a fuck ton of idle consumption. My SRNE 10Kw is 100W. My old TP6048 was 135W.
The ASF HF handles surge better than the LF TP6048...

They are out of the lifepo bms so added that one because of same price. Been out for a while….. maybe a good choice . The 12volt cases are light insulation

That's not a bad price. Battery Hookup should get more attention here.
I'm using JBD BMS as well, no complaints besides lack of active balancing.

Also check out 18650 Battery Store.

Biggest issues I've seen with 12V in series is not staying balanced... 1 pack gets outta wack and you're up shit creek without a paddle. Just make sure the BMS components can handle the 48V (60V)...
They are rated for series and parallel operations. Why like Will opening the batteries up for us to look inside.

I have looked at these on that website too. There is a nice rack server like case for them too. Damn case cost around $500+ and have to order Ali-express.
IMG_5995.png

They are rated for series and parallel operations. Why like Will opening the batteries up for us to look inside.

I have looked at these on that website too. There is a nice rack server like case for them too. Damn case cost around $500+ and have to order Ali-express.
View attachment 208286
Case...
IMG_20240213_170317__01__01.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20231017_195932.jpg
    IMG_20231017_195932.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks.

If they go poof I'm doing something seriously wrong or have much bigger issues to deal with. Packs rarely see over 0.3C charge and discharge.

These?
The house grounding is critical most ppl do not ground home properly. Some codes require 2 grounding rods within “x” ft of one grounding rod to another grounding rod now. You will have to look up the new codes.

Not all suppressors are quality as stated in video… UL does mean something.. why said, “ good - bad”
The sand is not a bad thing because it is an arrestor often used in high amp fuses as well. Sadly the sand in big high amp fuses mixed with metal from links can cause a fuse to test good with ohm meter but yet it is blown. Our electricians would get thrown for loop. Fuse - Can’t carry current. On loco a lot of circuits are 3 phase so if one fuse was blown other fuse was always replaced too. Weakened. On locomotive we also had 250 amp fuses that we would disassemble install new fusible links - reapply fuse.. They threw them away went to one time use sand fuse. We did away with 900-1000 amp fuses for full bridge main rectifier banks used ct and software. The bean counters determined fuses were pesky and causing problems. We bought a lot of loco main alternators at quarter to half million dollars a pop. …. Software just could not detect flash fast enough in all cases . Same with surge protectors.

The old surge strips many years ago for computers were 1 time deal had to repair them if suspected lightning. Or get new one. The led in those modern surge protectors for your video is good idea.

Those CSST CORRUGATED thin gas lines that ppl like to use now - during lightning strikes can get pin holes and cause fires explosions due to lightning. The bonding - grounding is critical. That crap is all over - in new homes.

As for lightning there are many types and the energy is tremendous to say the least.
Examples
IMG_5997.png

after seeing the performance of these Lithium batteries I'm pulling out
all the flooded acid batteries (12-12 volt deep cycle cheap walmart batteries) :sick:
they can't even compete with a 100Ah Lithium battery.

IMG_4375.JPG

after seeing the performance of these Lithium batteries I'm pulling out
all the flooded acid batteries (12-12 volt deep cycle cheap walmart batteries) :sick:
they can't even compete with a 100Ah Lithium battery.

View attachment 208427
Makes sense but some ppl still use the deep cycle. Just get 50% DOD.

If you hammer those lithium - Lifepo4 with heavy discharge and recharge will kill them too. The lithium when fail will reward you with fire. That’s hot. Of course lead acid catch on fire too. When agm first came out for motorcycles put one in my harley and threw the fire at it…later when weak-dead … with old charger… smoked - caught on fire… I used bolt cutters cut everything and threw battery out of garage. Lesson learned. 🤣 it was smoking like a choo choo…. No ride that day. 😡

There is a YouTuber that hammered his lifepo batteries and got them to fail….I doubt he realizes he did it..… heavy full discharges and rapid heavy charging will kill them in short time. He got them to smoke. Some ppl were upset at him.

Watts 24/7 website warns ppl that can happen with any battery if hammer on the full drain - rapid recharge. They learned with experience. We setup multi-million dollar facility try to save locomotive batteries. The battery companies had cheaped out on batteries. .Not anyway to fix them…we use to get 10-15 years from lead acid. As technology developed we got less and less…the new tech drained the batteries and new batteries were lightweight junk…. Sulfate was a major problem. Lucky get 5 years.

“‘’’’Through experience, we find that ANY battery chemistry, when cycled 100% every day with high charge and discharge currents has a limited lifespan, some LiFEPo4 batteries make it to about 3 months when worked hard”’’

Last edited:
If you hammer those lithium - Lifepo4 with heavy discharge and recharge will kill them too.
D71, thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind when I set my auto grid charging program.
the lifep04 are currently set to grid charge 25A when they drop below 24.5V and stop charging
when charging current goes below 5A or voltages goes over 29.0V.

I may set it to auto grid charge below 25V for my 400Ah 2p 24V pack
for my Lithium Ion battery pack it set to charge below 22V 100Ah 7s12p 24V pack

my current grid charger

Capture408.PNG

using one of these to turn on/off grid charger with a Arduino Nano

Capture409.PNG

using these to get battery voltages with the Nano
71gsJ4Mcz0L._SX522_.jpg
using one of these to get current information with the Nano

61Q7+w5TcfL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Arduino Nano codes to turn on/off grid charger
Capture410.PNG

Last edited:
D71, thanks for the heads up, I'll keep that in mind when I set my auto grid charging program.
the lifep04 are currently set to grid charge 25A when they drop below 24.5V and stop charging
when charging current goes below 5A.

I may set it to auto grid charge below 25V for my 400Ah 2p 24V pack
for my Lithium Ion battery pack it set to charge below 22V 100Ah 7s12p 24V pack
I’m no expert. At anything. 🤡

The battery maker usually provides best specs.

This is one of my 12v himassi bt batteries. Left my system on with everything cut in yesterday no external loads and system pulled batteries down ~ 10% starting when sun went down yesterday. As you can see the 650watt fixed array is putting about little over half amp into batteries now. Idle consumption and draw is a booger bear drain took 1/10th of my 5k battery system to basically idle.

Himassi program
IMG_6006.jpeg

The VIP BMS program provides way better info and the sun peeked out notice the ~8.9 amps is up now. I think the ability to monitor all the cells with blue tooth instrumentation is great. It is interesting to watch the amps go up and done in BASIC real time with VIP BMS app. The Himassi program is not so great.

IMG_6007.jpeg

IMG_6008.jpeg

A forum member mucked his himassi battery up and opened it up. Will Prowse opened up another battery brand and it is same for everything except outer case. 🤣 There are a lot of things like that from china … inverters and such too. Sadly Himassi has disappeared…. I intended to buy an additional set of batteries from them … Not suppose to mismatch batteries and more so types. The ppl at Himassi had stated they change cells and just adding addition batteries of another type even from them could be detrimental due to cell characteristics and voltage abilities. They wanted them matched 20mv. I should have ordered 8 instead of 4.

I watched ppl on here in post talk about throwing big amps on their batteries…. My batteries like most have a max charge amps recommendation from manufacturer - not suppose to exceed 50a. I’ve got my MPP SOLAR set to run charging at just max of 20a with shore power input. Sucker tried throw 60amp on them first time hooked into grid. Tripped 120volt 15amp outlet breaker. 🤡 I can throw 120vac 30amp 10gage wire from rv cable socket now. 😀
IMG_2108.jpeg
IMG_1887.jpeg

Last edited:
My batteries like most have a max charge amps recommendation from manufacturer
D71, looks like I need to reduce my charge cut off voltage. now is 29.0 the manufacture says 28.8V

PS: your dashboards look sweeter then my home grown ones. :geek:
but I do like having all the information on one screen shot.
Capture411.PNG

if I need to push my batteries, I'll push my Lithium Ion battery pack

Capture412.PNG

Last edited:
I just gave $100 for …..MPP Solar inverter “ wifi dongle” because didn’t want to muck with it. About 1/4 price gave for entire inverter. The value economics of it.
Sadly some of these factory wifi have connection issues - probably from line signal noise.
We use to make our own connectors for interfacing with locomotives. Farmed it out to small niche company make our connectors - interface cables. …probably CEO - VP family memberS owned new cable company. Noticed that in a lot of big business …connected families connected business. Exclusives.

Anyway that $100 is actually lot money considering bulk parts are about $15 and could make 4 of them… My primary windows laptop died or might have tried make my own… grid power blinking got it… one of recent storms. That crap Wiped out - corrupted the ssd in laptop. Everything gone. 😡

Are you running the Arduino library? Using Python?

These are suppose to work with voltronic. Open source files available - check video. Regret not building my own.
Have you messed with these?

IMG_6011.jpeg

Running old laptop with WatchPower and direct cable from Inverter….using a USB Printer cable …. USB-A to USB-B ….. the settings for the inverter are easier than going through the menu. The newer phone app is suppose be better. These are used on voltronic inverters with different names. I prefer “usb a and usb b cable” over the rs232 db9 to rj45. My laptop does not have db9. Some ppl buy adapters from what read - my thought is why? 🤣 you can install “team viewer” to have secure remote access. That laptop cost less than mpp solar wifi dongle even when it was new.

Energy Mate APP​

Batteries about back 100% yesterday shsss that one flickers 99% due to idle inverter system drain. Nasty weather again. One big screen for every thing would be the berries. I think an alarm on battery cell over voltage would be wise.

IMG_6013.jpeg

Are you running the Arduino library?
D71, yes for the arduino's I use C++ programming language in the arduino IDE

the dashboard on the remote windows PC I wrote in Visual Basic programming language
because I wanted to keep long term data in Microsoft Excel format. Visual Basic is very good at that.

Have you messed with these?
I have looked at the ESP programable chips because of their prices (every low)
the reason I stay with Arduino devices is mostly habit, and I find them to be very
reliable, never have to replace them(sweet!) having multiple serial ports is also
handy, the arduino mega has 4 RS232 hardware ports(sweet!) I have used their
hardware serial ports at 500000 baud rates with good, reliable communications(sweet!)
One big screen for every thing would be the berries. I think an alarm on battery cell over voltage would be wise.
D71, now you got me in tears, when a built my Lithium Ion battery pack I added a wire for each cell
to record and monitor cell voltages, but the LiTime 24V batteries I got ($1200 each) didn't have a port
outside the battery or even bluetooth :sick: , I was thinking of cutting them open to add a port for cell
voltage, but that $1200 each stayed my hand (crap!) after I get some use of of them maybe I'll get bigger
balls.

Last edited:
I bet a large number of people worked on programming their dashboards, they are cute.

Capture415.PNG

I spend a number of hours also, but not as cute. (n)
IMG_4151.JPG

some of my projects have to work in the some harsh conditions(winters in wisconsin)
in the images below there are 2 arduino's that have operated without fault for 14yrs
so far.

1 arduino Mega
1 arduino Nano(it's only job is to make sure the Mega is working the way it should)
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4379.JPGCapture416.PNG2010

watching an old man putting a golf cart in and back out of a pickup truck
is kind of like watching an old keystone cops movie :LOL:

but I got something to test out my motor with for only $300, with no broken bones so far.

IMG_4384.JPG
IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG

D71, yes for the arduino's I use C++ programming language in the arduino IDE

the dashboard on the remote windows PC I wrote in Visual Basic programming language
because I wanted to keep long term data in Microsoft Excel format. Visual Basic is very good at that.

I have looked at the ESP programable chips because of their prices (every low)
the reason I stay with Arduino devices is mostly habit, and I find them to be very
reliable, never have to replace them(sweet!) having multiple serial ports is also
handy, the arduino mega has 4 RS232 hardware ports(sweet!) I have used their
hardware serial ports at 500000 baud rates with good, reliable communications(sweet!)

D71, now you got me in tears, when a built my Lithium Ion battery pack I added a wire for each cell
to record and monitor cell voltages, but the LiTime 24V batteries I got ($1200 each) didn't have a port
outside the battery or even bluetooth :sick: , I was thinking of cutting them open to add a port for cell
voltage, but that $1200 each stayed my hand (crap!) after I get some use of of them maybe I'll get bigger
balls.

Ppl asked me why didn’t I buy - build my batteries - I like neat packaging. Why like that Seplos Mason rack server case for 51.2 - diy if buy high cap cells. At time of my battery purchase cells were lot higher priced. The cells have come down now same as batteries - packages. You can always break it down for your batteries. I bought bluetooth batteries because like instrumentation. Basically could use bt to see what cell internals were doing inside the neat sealed packaging. Mine have heaters too. Cold weather.

I downloaded Solar Assistant for my raspberry pi 400. It was not listed on Solar Assistant website but it works with rpi400. The software was $55.00. It gives me easy access - can adjust inverter with app. The raspberry pi 400 is hooked to inverter with usb a to b cable.
Even does a monitor… that monitor is from my work station. Just making sure it works as a kiosk … the Raspberry pi 400 uses small amount of power and the monitor screen can be turned off. Now the led on the inverter screen back light can be turned off to save a tiny bit of power.
Will mount a 10” hdmi touch screen monitor over the inverter at top. Put the raspberry on attached folding shelf in front of inverter. Solar Assistant and RPI suppose to provide data logging for 10 years. Blue tooth or wlan
A 10.1” touch screen would be nice. I can also run a victron ve direct app via rpi400 pop out micro card - pop in other. Sadly the Solar Assistant registers with the rpi so can’t toss micro card into anything except that registered rpi. I guess they are trying to stop SA software piracy. Anyway the victron venus software will be easy to see too. Am debating on tying the victron smart-shunt into this present system as it can be connected to Solar Assistant.
The SA is not real accurate for emulation and worse with inverter determined battery soc.

IMG_6018.jpeg

Would been nice to blue tooth the batteries bms - total integration. 😀🤣

I am just playing - was bored. This solar assistant rpi software is rated way over the watch power app by mpp solar/voltronic. Tried watch power other night. 1 is free with dongle costing money. These middle men Chinese companies play games. They most likely spec the inverters with parallel boards and wifi from Voltronic at price point then separate them for additional sales as middle man. Did your inverter come with wifi dongle? Some do.

My over night battery drain dropped 2% additional with RPI added…that is power plug converting from ac to dc for rpi. Think am going to add this dc buck converter to feed rpi. Nice package. 🤣
SA sells a rpi dc buck but it is around $20..
IMG_6022.jpeg

I expect govt try to regulate solar with future restrictions …they can’t stand thought of ppl not paying the lobbying utility providers… the Govt look at it as losing taxed revenues. The Green Power on both sides already trying say solar panels causing reflected damage with hot spots. I knew that was coming.

diy solar

diy solar
Back