diy solar

diy solar

An encouragement to those who have built their system

What part of the country?
Rural Australia.

@12VoltInstalls That is exactly the point of difference of setting up an off-grid system for constant power - you need to have an answer for what to do in the event of component failure for every component of your system.

In my experience it is rare for an off-grid system to last more than ten years without needing attention, if you install the system in your 30’s - you are likely to have to replace every component at some stage. Most systems I see don’t accommodate an easy method of achieving that, and the owners regret it when the time comes.

Most systems I see don’t accommodate an easy method of achieving that, and the owners regret it when the time comes
I can see that.

Replacing a good used car every four or five years should be expected, but how many people do you know who finance a 4-year car for 60 months the last few years? I know several (that I know of)

People are ‘surprised’ and unprepared when their situation is needing a $3000+ transmission or to buy another car with $5k down and they can’t afford either.

Expecting things to wear out and planning for that is wise and it isn’t necessarily a ‘failure’ when devices complete their service life.

That includes solar.

MANUAL QUOTE- (therefore a compliment) “Lend freely asking nothing in return” is something I try to live by, but I believe wisdom would have the rescue swimmer take great pains to not drown with the swimmer in trouble whom they’re trying to rescue. Even God gives freedom of choices to mankind. Not everyone chooses wisely.
Yes Agreed fully. I once taught this in a preparedness class " if you don't teach your neighbor to prepare, later you will feed him or fight him". Which in this context seems extreme (it was just a class) yet sort of makes the same point. Probably there is a less prepper sounding version of that motto.

That isn’t an ethical question.

Lack of planning by others doesn’t necessarily equate to an obligation to abandon your own responsibilities of taking care of your own family or self so that the ignorant, unadaptable, or irresponsible can survive. There’s wisdom in allocating one’s resources.

When the alcoholic neighbor gets an evict notice because he drank the rent; or the friend that pays $200/month for satellite tv and internet, has two car payments, and avoids work yet needs gas money, food money, a car battery, heating fuel, chicken feed or a combo every single month and can never pay you back…

I’m not saying don’t be compassionate or philanthropic or help when led to, but if help isn’t going to change anything down the road there’s wisdom to attend to before you give away the golden goose. In 2021 and 2022 I made a ton of money (some weeks doing 80 hours) and I was surprised and got annoyed how many people expected me to pay for stuff ‘friends and family’ until eventually, uncomfortably, I started saying, “no.”
It’s funny how they’ve stopped calling.

I built my solar over time with cash money I earned and because of it I don’t have an electric bill, and it enabled me to live in such a way I’ve saved ~$10-$12k a year in living expenses by making hard choices over the last five years. Others are free to make sacrifices to better themselves, too.

Long story short: I have solar that works when the power goes out, and now I’ve upgraded a bit and probably have enough solar to never need supplementary alectricity. I do have a generator now just in case, but I shouldn’t need it based on the last two winters of wattmeter records.

If I have power and my neighbor doesn’t that’s how it is. Some of my neighbors have tractors and $90k pickups, several $25k side-by-sides, $65k RV campers... Good for them. They don’t owe me anything. If I want their stuff I can work to obtain it myself.
Neither do I owe them what they could obtain for themselves.

“Lend freely asking nothing in return” is something I try to live by, but I believe wisdom would have the rescue swimmer take great pains to not drown with the swimmer in trouble whom they’re trying to rescue. Even God gives freedom of choices to mankind. Not everyone chooses wisely.

I’m grateful to be independent, interdependent, and free. And I’m thankful my fridge, lights, coffeemaker and heat successfully run independent of the grid.
I see you’ve met my BIL.
Doesnt work, never contributes to cottage, yet always seems to have a case of beer, carton of smokes, and a bag of weed.
has no problem enjoying the pontoon boat we bought, and then has the gall to say my daughter is “privileged“, lol.
this post is bang on.

im entitled to no one’s stuff, and they aren’t entitled to mine.

That isn’t an ethical question.

Lack of planning by others doesn’t necessarily equate to an obligation to abandon your own responsibilities of taking care of your own family or self so that the ignorant, unadaptable, or irresponsible can survive. There’s wisdom in allocating one’s resources.

When the alcoholic neighbor gets an evict notice because he drank the rent; or the friend that pays $200/month for satellite tv and internet, has two car payments, and avoids work yet needs gas money, food money, a car battery, heating fuel, chicken feed or a combo every single month and can never pay you back…

I’m not saying don’t be compassionate or philanthropic or help when led to, but if help isn’t going to change anything down the road there’s wisdom to attend to before you give away the golden goose. In 2021 and 2022 I made a ton of money (some weeks doing 80 hours) and I was surprised and got annoyed how many people expected me to pay for stuff ‘friends and family’ until eventually, uncomfortably, I started saying, “no.”
It’s funny how they’ve stopped calling.

I built my solar over time with cash money I earned and because of it I don’t have an electric bill, and it enabled me to live in such a way I’ve saved ~$10-$12k a year in living expenses by making hard choices over the last five years. Others are free to make sacrifices to better themselves, too.

Long story short: I have solar that works when the power goes out, and now I’ve upgraded a bit and probably have enough solar to never need supplementary alectricity. I do have a generator now just in case, but I shouldn’t need it based on the last two winters of wattmeter records.

If I have power and my neighbor doesn’t that’s how it is. Some of my neighbors have tractors and $90k pickups, several $25k side-by-sides, $65k RV campers... Good for them. They don’t owe me anything. If I want their stuff I can work to obtain it myself.
Neither do I owe them what they could obtain for themselves.

“Lend freely asking nothing in return” is something I try to live by, but I believe wisdom would have the rescue swimmer take great pains to not drown with the swimmer in trouble whom they’re trying to rescue. Even God gives freedom of choices to mankind. Not everyone chooses wisely.

I’m grateful to be independent, interdependent, and free. And I’m thankful my fridge, lights, coffeemaker and heat successfully run independent of the grid.

thank you

my plan and results are the same as you.

I recently added a generator as well

since I installed the beginning of the system in 2000

I am now on my:

3rd set of batteries
2nd set of solar panels
2nd set of charge controllers
3rd set of inverter
2nd set of AC wire to/from inverter and Critical Loads Panel
same set of conduit

Replacing a good used car every four or five years should be expected, but how many people do you know who finance a 4-year car for 60 months the last few years? I know several (that I know of)

People are ‘surprised’ and unprepared when their situation is needing a $3000+ transmission or to buy another car with $5k down and they can’t afford either.

I've had my good used car 13 years now.
A couple years into it, I did pull transmission and spend maybe $300 on bearings and seals.

It is a 2000 Civic. That's our youngest. Has 290k miles now.

Another (97 Sable) I pulled transmission and overhauled for $800. Also replaced heads and valves. $800. Both due to my mistakes. Now has about 200k on it.

You can always drive a new car. Or you can be "the millionaire next door". That's about how big a difference it makes.

I have had a couple outages, but I can tell, I see the lights blip. My issue is that if I don't notice the lights, I wouldn't know, and wish I did.
Some people say that Sol-Ark notifies, others say no, they don't. I'm going with they don't. Going to have to get a smart plug wired to the incoming power.

Funny this thread pops up, I just received an email from my utility saying they were going to be doing maintenance in my area on the 23rd and there will be scheduled down time. Nice to know I don't have to prepare for that lol.

the millionaire next door
Isn’t that a book?
I think I have that somewhere cuz I think I bought a used one to reread.

My daily is a 1989 Jeep with (I’m guessing now because I bought it 2011 or 2012 but the speedo hasn’t worked in a few years. Ahem) over 350k on it. So we may approach transportation similarly.

Last edited:
Back