diy solar

diy solar

Any cool Battery Monitor/Info Display panels?

Larry619

As the title suggests, are there any cool battery/system monitors available in the market?

So far, the “coolest” display seems to be the Renogy battery monitor. I have the Aili battery monitor on a couple of battery packs and they suffice.

Are there any OLED displays like what’s on EcoFlow, Goal Zero, etc?

I prefer the bluetooth battery monitor the Victron 712. I never have to get up to look at it. Also provides graphs and some historical data.

I second the Victron 712. I only have the Victron Smart Shunt, which only displays on the phone, but the 712 Display would be my first pick for a physical screen.

Doesn't store any data but you can have 2 wireless screens in the room, see update at the end. Added pi0 with camera running motioneyeos and can now view it from the cloud via Home Assistant, Joe.

I’ve decided to go with the epever mt75 monitor

1634452025740.jpeg
Not exactly cool but has some cool functionality.

Firstly it displays solar, battery and load all at the same time. It also connects to the inverter and will display data from that too.

It also allows control of both the DC load and the inverter so can switch them off from the panel.

It doesn’t have any data logging capability so I’m going to add the epever module that does that.

Unlike the MT50 display it can’t be used to adjust settings like those needed for lithium but I’m going to use my laptop via usb to do that

Last edited:
If you follow up with how it works for you I’d like to know. I don’t have Epever Equip so this would not read anything for me.

When I look at the RT75 appears if you have an Epever it will display decent data.

I would not mind a cheap monitor for projects. Most I see for sale only read DC amps one way charging, but not discharging. This can get both, but it’s got a couple limits.

Pros
====
-Hooks up via a cable to a Epever SCC to get charging data, amps and voltages.
-For DC Loads, they need to be hooked up to the Load output of the SCC so info comes from the same cable the SCC data comes from
-For AC loads, reads this directly from the inverter.

Cons
====
-No Shunt. If you hook any other DC load up such as via busbar, this will not appear on the monitor. For me, I have 50 amp leveling jacks that pull way too much energy to be hooked to a Load output of an SCC. I also have a 9 amp DC Propane Blower motor that probably exceeds the load output for an SCC. This Busbar data won’t display.
-Monitor only compatible with some EPEVER products. If you have any other inverter or SCC, no data can be displayed

Yes the dc power through the SCC is key. I don’t currently plan on exceeding the 40A available so it should work for me and the system should collect interesting data as a result

If I was installing a one shunt based monitor the junktek ones would be top of my list. I know several people who use them

However I really like the Electrodactus system. It uses 2 shunts to calculate both in and out and has data collection/storage functionality.

I searched for a Battery Monitor that had:
-temp cutoff
-relay control
-bidirectional
-bluetooth
-shunt not hall sensor
-R485 (for future home automation with homeassistant and raspberry pi)
-under $100

The ONLY one I found was the Junctek KG140F. It is a new product there is a seller on ali that is giving a legit promo price. I am not affiliated at all and I dont get a penny for a referral or anything for free, but the seller offered this so I will pass it along:

1. First 5 orders get a 50% discount with coupon code 6IH4Q7FX63MR
2. 10 orders get a 20% discount with coupon code XQ6OIPLVAY5W
3. Anyone else who see this post in the future can still get 10% discount with coupon code QAHWMEFZNSGF

Terms:
- One person can only order ONE battery monitor at a discount.
- Select which one you want from the link below, click Buy Now, and put in the promo code I gave above before completing your purchase.

Here is the link to order from his store:

The seller uploaded a video how to connect it all up:

The only thing this battery monitor (coulomb meter) is missing that I wanted is LOW temp cutoff as Will is always talking about. The firmware is updatable so maybe they can add it, there is a HIGH temp cutoff built in already.

If this violates any rules or looks fishy let me know and I will remove it, I am just passing this along to help - not for any compensation.

Last edited:
I searched for a Battery Monitor that had:
-temp cutoff
-relay control
-bidirectional
-bluetooth
-shunt not hall sensor
-R485 (for future home automation with homeassistant and raspberry pi)
-under $100

The ONLY one I found was the Junctek KG140F. It is a new product there is a seller on ali that is giving a legit promo price. I am not affiliated at all and I dont get a penny for a referral or anything for free, but the seller offered this so I will pass it along:

1. First 5 orders get a 50% discount with coupon code 6IH4Q7FX63MR
2. 10 orders get a 20% discount with coupon code XQ6OIPLVAY5W
3. Anyone else who see this post in the future can still get 10% discount with coupon code QAHWMEFZNSGF

Terms:
- One person can only order ONE battery monitor at a discount.
- Select which one you want from the link below, click Buy Now, and put in the promo code I gave above before completing your purchase.

Here is the link to order from his store:

The seller uploaded a video how to connect it all up:

The only thing this battery monitor (coulomb meter) is missing that I wanted is LOW temp cutoff as Will is always talking about. The firmware is updatable so maybe they can add it, there is a HIGH temp cutoff built in already.

If this violates any rules or looks fishy let me know and I will remove it, I am just passing this along to help - not for any compensation.
You say it has a high temp cutoff, but how does this function?

Does it include a relay of some sort, or connections to hook one up?

This is not something I'd be willing to spend power on holding a mechanical relay on for use when this feature should be built into the charger(s) and bms.

Why does it matter if the relay is attached to the BMS or if it is external? Makes no difference in terms of idle power consumption. There is no free lunch. If you dont want to use any current to run a relay, then this configuration on the Junctek is what you want, because there is none included and it is an optional addon. Keep in mind that if your dont have a mechanical relay or solenoid or huge SSR then you had better sit and guard your batteries manually by looking at the monitor or waiting for a siren if you have set one up. Either that or you dont need this device anyways because you are trusting your BMS or inverter to cutoff. Using a SSR (re: Will's optocoupler video) it is possible to turn off some inverters if they have a manual switch. This only turns off the inverter, if it is an all in one style, the charger will still keep working at full power whether you want it or not.

What I was considering after I finally get some lifepo4 batteries (currently dealing with scam store on aliexpress that did not ship anything and sent fake tracking info) is to use the SSR trick to turn off the growatt inverter power switch and that way I only need a small BMS connected to the SSR instead of the inverter. The batteries are connected directly to the Growatt inverter/charger all in one unit. Then I would connect the Junctek as backup with another SSR. So there are 2 SSR which are both able to shutoff the Growatt inverter. If I wire the two SSRs in series, then both the Junctek AND the BMS have to say it is ok for the Growatt inverter to draw any power from the batteries. This is the cheapest and safest reliable VALUE ORIENTED setup I can imagine. Below is a schematic (ignore the periods they are needed for spacing). The drawing below has the 2 SSRs connected in series | to the inverter power switch.

..................../Junctek----SSR | +
Batteries/--BMS------SSR | +
..................\.................................| +
....................\Growatt Inverter switch

Last edited:
@kang lee
will be nice if the junctec can communicate with a voltronics inverter lets say over the pylontec protocol
is there a protocol sheet on how to communicate over rs 484
does it have its own memory for data storage?

Last edited:
just bought one.
want to use it as a switch to cut off charging lets say at 80% dont know a other way
in my mind voltage cut off is not working

@kang lee
what i want to do or a magic wish list.
1 need more relay out puts. this is for creating hardwired alarms. maybe this can be done true a expansion box on the rs 484
2 alarms have a set point and a release point e.g. alarm start at 80% soc is released at 70% soc. don't know if this is possible now
3 can i connect a Magnetic Latching Contactor to it ?
4 connect it to a MPP solar,Growatt so it can tell the inverter what soc it has ( implementing the pylontec protocol? )
see what they try to do here

my use case, as you can not tell the soc from the voltage in a lifepo4 setup
i want to disconnect my chargers ,solar panels,DC-DC charger and so on from charging my battery's if they reach 80% soc and reconnect them at 70% soc.
sound a alarm when my battery's have over temperature ( need more temp probes i have 2 battery's)
will be nice if this is possible true a Latching Contactor

Last edited:
It would be great if under voltage and over voltage could have separate outputs rather than the same protection mode. In current features will setup so that under voltage protection mode trips and disconnects inverter and leaves PV charging intact. Any recommendations for 48v 100amps max suitable relay for 15KWHr 16S LiFePo4? If SOC is set properly wouldn't this be a better way to disconnect load rather then use a system voltage?

Back