diy solar

diy solar

Anybody use a hitch receiver on their excavator to haul a trailer?

AlaskanNoob

Solar Enthusiast
Saw a couple videos of people welding receivers on the blades of their mini-ex to haul trailers. Anybody done something like this? If so, how did you calculate trailer size for your excavator?

I have a ball on the back of my grader blade for my tractor for exactly that purpose... Can't help you as far as trailer size, if your pulling anything crazy I'd hook up electric brakes for the trailer (my tractor actually is pre-wired for a trailer connector). Remember raising the grader blade to high will put the ass end of the trailer in the ground. If you get going to fast brace and drop the hoe.
I doubt you'll find any calculations, just use common sense.

I have a ball on the back of my grader blade for my tractor for exactly that purpose... Can't help you as far as trailer size, if your pulling anything crazy I'd hook up electric brakes for the trailer (my tractor actually is pre-wired for a trailer connector). Remember raising the grader blade to high will put the ass end of the trailer in the ground. If you get going to fast brace and drop the hoe.
I doubt you'll find any calculations, just use common sense.

Right on. I've got a 6 ton excavator and I'd like to pull at least 1.5 ton up a pretty steep grade. Then again, it would destroy the mile of trail no doubt so I may look into a powered dump trailer of some sort with a lighter ground pressure. If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a Marooka or a Teremac track crawler...

Right on. I've got a 6 ton excavator and I'd like to pull at least 1.5 ton up a pretty steep grade. Then again, it would destroy the mile of trail no doubt so I may look into a powered dump trailer of some sort with a lighter ground pressure. If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a Marooka or a Teremac track crawler...
Heck I wouldn't hesitate to try it.
I'd use the grader blade to first knock out any really high / low spots and make sure the start and stop have a nice gradual landing.
Once I started the tow I'd have the bucket close to the ground so I could dig in if I started to lose traction, simply curl the bucket and pull yourself up.
Once your down hit it with the grader blade again.

Are you trying to be funny?
Hes in Alaska, we know nearly everyone there owns their own plane. Commutes with it, picks up groceries, goes to the local tavern with it probably.
Apparantly they also own excavators. Use them to haul firewood into the house, rake the lawn, do the laundry.
Hey they have Kodiak Brown bears there.

The question is just silly. It's fine to throw a ball on mini-ex and use it to jockey trailers around.

Asking "how did you calculate correct trailer size" is just....I don't know where to start there.

The question is nonsensical to the point that I thought the OP was just being tongue-in-cheek.

The question is just silly. It's fine to throw a ball on mini-ex and use it to jockey trailers around.

Asking "how did you calculate correct trailer size" is just....I don't know where to start there.

The question is nonsensical to the point that I thought the OP was just being tongue-in-cheek.

No, that's not it. The question wasn't silly and your motivation for your comment was of the typical "I don't do therapy, I do Internet" variety.

No, that's not it. The question wasn't silly and your motivation for your comment was of the typical "I don't do therapy, I do Internet" variety.

Ok so how did you determine how large of a trailer your excavator would haul?

How do you think other people did it? ?

The question is silly.

What you do is put a ball on your excavator and then hook it up to the trailer you want to move and see if it will move it.

Ok so how did you determine how large of a trailer your excavator would haul?

How do you think other people did it? ?

The question is silly.

What you do is put a ball on your excavator and then hook it up to the trailer you want to move and see if it will move it.

Right, right. What I'll do is go out and buy a trailer and then see if the excavator will haul it. If not, oh well, trailer's aren't that expensive.

What you shouldn't do, of course, is ask other people if they've done it beforehand in order to learn from them. Because some moron online would think that was a silly question. Take care now.

Right, right. What I'll do is go out and buy a trailer and then see if the excavator will haul it. If not, oh well, trailer's aren't that expensive.

What you shouldn't do, of course, is ask other people if they've done it beforehand in order to learn from them. Because some moron online would think that was a silly question. Take care now.

It varies based on your skill in operating the machine and what you have available.

I pull 16,000 snow machines up 10% grades with a Kubota 10k machine.

You could pull even more than this if tied off to a cable.

There are too many variables to answer your question.

Back