diy solar

diy solar

Anyone buying these 305ah envision cells?

Was thinking a poofy pack might not be the best to go shaking down the road. Like its already injured.
Other idea is the cell is already beat up, so i wont worry about shaking down the road.
Also i pictured strapping them somewhat snug.
Back in the day lipo batteries that puffed were considered not as shelf stable. Does the same apply to LifePO4?

Was thinking a poofy pack might not be the best to go shaking down the road. Like its already injured.
Other idea is the cell is already beat up, so i wont worry about shaking down the road.
Back in the day lipo batteries that puffed were considered not as shelf stable. Does the same apply to LifePO4?
If you build you pack correctly , what gives you the idea they will go down shaking ?
The cell should be fixated and have insulation/compression sheets between them regardless of application.

Mine fit in my EEL case (well so far 16 in one case, haven’t tried the second) so I think there should be enough security from movement down the road. Each set up is unique though and may need additional scrutiny or safety measures

Would a cell like this be a bad choice for vehicle mounted?
I probably wouldn't for the simple fact the cells need to be secured to prevent the cases from rubbing together and to prevent terminal damage. Another is whether the cells would get less bulged over time or try to bulge more and put stress on the terminals.

Thanks for all the replies. Its going on a toyhauler which im told is a very rough ride compared to an RV or Van.
Im DIY to the max. Hard to picture buying a premade battery. I do like the idea of a hard plastic case though.

Just purchased 17 of the grade B cells from 18650. $89 dollars. Was told by James that these cells will pull 305 Ah capacity, I plan to hold them to that. They did mention swelling, I'm ok with that since they will be sitting on a shelf, compressed... Will update as needed

Just purchased 17 of the grade B cells from 18650. $89 dollars. Was told by James that these cells will pull 305 Ah capacity, I plan to hold them to that. They did mention swelling, I'm ok with that since they will be sitting on a shelf, compressed... Will update as needed
You'll want to test them all if your going to hold them to it. Mine have all tested at 299-300.

Even the tags on them indicate they tested at the factory at just over 305. Assuming they lost some capacity over time sitting.

You'll want to test them all if your going to hold them to it. Mine have all tested at 299-300.

Even the tags on them indicate they tested at the factory at just over 305. Assuming they lost some capacity over time sitting.
how do you know your meter is that accurate? thats a less than 2% variation. I have multiple different amp meters, both clamp and shunt, they are never within 2% of each other. also did you completely top balance all cells before testing?

I have every intention of testing them all. Very time consuming but worth the effort. I will accept 300 and above Ah capacity, but will call them on anything below.
I noticed in a previous post by you that they are swollen. How swollen are they, just curious?

Personally, I don't care if these test at 295Ah or 305Ah. Heck, even 290 is okay by me. I paid $79 per cell and I don't really care if I lose on 3%-4% capacity for that price.
All of my cells were had minor swelling. I would say stacking 2 cells side by side, the gap was somewhere b/w 1/16" to 1/8".

Personally, I don't care if these test at 295Ah or 305Ah. Heck, even 290 is okay by me. I paid $79 per cell and I don't really care if I lose on 3%-4% capacity for that price.
All of my cells were had minor swelling. I would say stacking 2 cells side by side, the gap was somewhere b/w 1/16" to 1/8".

When I called them, I asked specifically if the capacity is as specified in the listing for the grade B, he said yes they are and some higher. 300 Ah will be acceptable to me, 290 is not. BTW,, I tried to get them to come down to $79 dollars but he said the only had 21 in stock as of today. As for the swelling, that would be fine if they are only 1/16" to 1/8"

When I called them, I asked specifically if the capacity is as specified in the listing for the grade B, he said yes they are and some higher. 300 Ah will be acceptable to me, 290 is not. BTW,, I tried to get them to come down to $79 dollars but he said the only had 21 in stock as of today. As for the swelling, that would be fine if they are only 1/16" to 1/8"
I have been contemplating buying more of these cells, since all the ones I tested (4 of 33) were over 300Ah and swelling wasn't too bad. Looks like I'll have to wait for some other deal. Interesting enough, it's letting me add another 32 cells in the cart and go through most of checkout steps ?

I have been contemplating buying more of these cells, since all the ones I tested (4 of 33) were over 300Ah and swelling wasn't too bad. Looks like I'll have to wait for some other deal. Interesting enough, it's letting me add another 32 cells in the cart and go through most of checkout steps ?
Yes it does, hmmm...:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Thanks for the update on count for what they had left.
Guess I’ll have to wait to add more too lol

UPDATE
ordered 17 - 304aH grade B cells on Wednesday 11 Oct., received shipping order 3 hours later. Batteries not picked up by UPS upon checking this morning, Called James to check status, was told they were out of stock and received refund shortly after.
I was offered a deal on NEW 304 cells at $125 dollars each x 16 + shipping. I accepted the offer and purchased a JK BMS as well, everything shipped to the door for $2400.00. I hope these make it off the shipping dock. Will keep you posted.

Anyone else have loose terminal studs with these?
I noticed one of mine has slop, in the threaded stud only, when I was finally getting around to assembling the pack.
It's doesn't make sense how it could be loose...
It snugged up fine finger tight, I might swap it out with the spare cell before I complete final assembly. Now I regret not marking it because I don't remember which one it was exactly.

Back