diy solar

diy solar

Anyone using a generator to charge batteries on MPP LV6548?

OleMan2765

Searched forum, and did not find any results.
Have two LV6548's split phase.
Have generator connected to input side.
L1 and L2 connected, and even swapped connections from genny to L1 and L2. (Read somewhere that might help.)
No luck. MPP's reset as if to sync with the AC, but never completely connect.

Followed diagram sent with system that says it can be done.
But no luck.

All I wanted to do is charge batteries when we have a few days of no sun.

Alternatively, I have shut down the system, and attached battery chargers to the batteries, and wake them back up. Just a pain.

My generator is a Generac 7500XL. Output is 30A 220vac.

The startup sequence on these units is battery, PV, then AC input. My understanding is these units expect or prefer DC to startup on before AC is applied. With that said, I started mine on shore power without any issue. I think your unit is single phase right? If so, you would only use single phase AC input. If you don’t have PV or battery, then start generator, get the sputter stabilized then apply generator power output on and turn on inverter unit.

What mode is the AIO in?
It can only charge from the AC input when the loads are also connected to the AC input. (In bypass mode)

The startup sequence on these units is battery, PV, then AC input. My understanding is these units expect or prefer DC to startup on before AC is applied. With that said, I started mine on shore power without any issue. I think your unit is single phase right? If so, you would only use single phase AC input. If you don’t have PV or battery, then start generator, get the sputter stabilized then apply generator power output on and turn on inverter unit.
Tried both ways. With it on, and batteries are below 44vdc, the inverter shuts down. Not off. or standby. Apply AC. and MPP's just flash like resetting.
From standby mode, the AC does not connect. Just flashed 120 on each leg L1 and L2, but does not hold so it will charge batteries.

USB, Utility 1st, Solar 2nd, Battery 3rd. If I uderstand your question. That is how the MPP is setup to operate.
If the loads are connected to the AC input. Then battery charging from AC should be available. Assuming that the settings are configured for it.

If the loads are connected to the AC input. Then battery charging from AC should be available. Assuming that the settings are configured for it.
Loads connected to AC output of the MPP's. The input is Utility 1st, Solar 2nd, Battery 3rd. I am attempting to put AC to the input of each of the two MPP's. So that way it will charge the batteries.

Loads connected to AC output of the MPP's. The input is Utility 1st, Solar 2nd, Battery 3rd. I am attempting to put AC to the input of each of the two MPP's. So that way it will charge the batteries.
Let me clarify.
If the loads are connected through the AIO to the AC input. As in bypass mode.

I had this problem on my lv6548's. I never did get the small Furman generator to work. Power was too noisy for it to lock on it something. One thing that worked with the multiquip generator, though, was to make sure it is loaded before you try to get the lv6548 to lock on. I have a little 1500 watt heater that when it is plugged in the power syncs, when it isn't no go. It stays sync'ed when you unplug the heater, btw.

I had this problem on my lv6548's. I never did get the small Furman generator to work. Power was too noisy for it to lock on it something. One thing that worked with the multiquip generator, though, was to make sure it is loaded before you try to get the lv6548 to lock on. I have a little 1500 watt heater that when it is plugged in the power syncs, when it isn't no go. It stays sync'ed when you unplug the heater, btw.
I scrolling down to see if someone caught this. The MPP manual says it needs a sine wave input. I have Predator 9500 inverter generator on grid/generator manual transfer switch. The system runs flawlessly on this generator. Just remember to keep it within the rated 7600 running watts (inverter line out load PLUS charge load).

I charge with a 9000 watt peak champion generator, I have been having an issue where if my solar is turned on at the same time as I am charging and it has any Voltage it stops charging for a second then picks back up for a few seconds then drops again. I tuned off the solar on the second inverter and it stopped doing this. I am not sure what it is but I have since bought and hooked up a victron 250/100 charge controller and consistently get 300 watts more than when it was connected to the inverter so I think I am turning to the blue side Instead of my LV6548’s. Tired of having issues.

I charge with a 9000 watt peak champion generator, I have been having an issue where if my solar is turned on at the same time as I am charging and it has any Voltage it stops charging for a second then picks back up for a few seconds then drops again. I tuned off the solar on the second inverter and it stopped doing this. I am not sure what it is but I have since bought and hooked up a victron 250/100 charge controller and consistently get 300 watts more than when it was connected to the inverter so I think I am turning to the blue side Instead of my LV6548’s. Tired of having issues.
May the Blue be with you. I am NOT impressed with MPP! But, day late, and many dollars short.

May the Blue be with you. I am NOT impressed with MPP! But, day late, and many dollars short.
Yep! I am with you on the EG4 6500’s (same as MPP) been nothing but blown circuits, blow heat pump circuit. Had to disable the whole system. No manufacturer support.

My system has been working for almost a year now. Currently, I’m the only one with power in the neighborhood. Turned off the outside lights to not stand out. Lol Documentation is poor yes. Had a few issues but it was mostly Solar assistant. Ian at Watts247 has been a great help. Our grid has lots of irregularities. Since I installed surge protection on both the AC load and grid sides, you’d never know that the house is un-interruptible and gets the best rates when needed or not enough sun. I may actually get the chance to really charge my batteries with the generator if the grid stays off another 10 hours.

My system has been working for almost a year now. Currently, I’m the only one with power in the neighborhood. Turned off the outside lights to not stand out. Lol Documentation is poor yes. Had a few issues but it was mostly Solar assistant. Ian at Watts247 has been a great help. Our grid has lots of irregularities. Since I installed surge protection on both the AC load and grid sides, you’d never know that the house is un-interruptible and gets the best rates when needed or not enough sun. I may actually get the chance to really charge my batteries with the generator if the grid stays off another 10 hours.
That is reassuring. I bought four surge protectors one for AC input panel and one for inverter output panel and one for each AC condenser.

Solar assistant is worth it. Watchpower is a joke. Ian is great, lots of help..

It takes 7 pages in the manual to get WatchPower setup. There’s the first clue.
Wasted two days of my life struggling and gave up. Installed Solar Assistant and it was easy. A half an hour after receiving it, it was working.

Oleman,You need to put a load on the generator first like a small heater then it will lock on and work. I had to do this and it synced up fine.

Back