diy solar

diy solar

Are small wind turbines worth it?

Alexander

Hello,

I would like to know if small wind turbines are "fake" or are really able to charge small devices as a phone or smartwatches. I found one in the market for example which says it has 10W, do you think it works? Or will I need too much wind to make it work. Would it be better for the same price to buy a solar pannel? (I live in Switzerland if it changes anything)
This is the wind turbine I am interested in:

Screenshot_20221002-081506_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-081502_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221002-141200_Chrome.jpg
Thank you for your time!

Alexander

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-141200_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-141200_Chrome.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 4
Thank you very much for the links, already read a half of the first article... too bad it doesn't work as I thought so. Do you have some other great links about how solar pannels work?

Hello,

I would like to know if small wind turbines are "fake" or are really able to charge small devices as a phone or smartwatches. I found one in the market for example which says it has 10W, do you think it works? Or will I need too much wind to make it work. Would it be better for the same price to buy a solar pannel? (I live in Switzerland if it changes anything)
This is the wind turbine I am interested in:

View attachment 114506

View attachment 114505

View attachment 114508
Thank you for your time!

Alexander
Typical: No. There are many articles about this. Maybe when you live high up the mountain with a constant wind blowing 20h a day you'll get lucky.
95% you're better off spending your money on solar. If you have that already spend this money on an extra panel or more battery capacity.
I also thought it would be interesting for us, have read a lot about it and came to the conclusion that there is not enough stable wind blowing constantly.

Typical: No. There are many articles about this. Maybe when you live high up the mountain with a constant wind blowing 20h a day you'll get lucky.
95% you're better off spending your money on solar. If you have that already spend this money on an extra panel or more battery capacity.
I also thought it would be interesting for us, have read a lot about it and came to the conclusion that there is not enough stable wind blowing constantly.
You are right!
Which is quite sad, because without taking the problem seriously we could think it is a good alternative, but it isn't. I will spend my money on some extra solar pannels then. Speaking of batteries. Do you know some batteries which are not too much expensive (like 200 dolars max) which work for small solar pannels (12/ 24v 100w ~60ah) ?

You are right!
Which is quite sad, because without taking the problem seriously we could think it is a good alternative, but it isn't.
That is why I don't have the slightest idea why some many countries keep going on about the 'Green Reset' and continue building wind farms. Don't know for USA but here in Europe (France) these things are more off then that they are actually spinning.
Speaking of batteries. Do you know some batteries which are not too much expensive (like 200 dolars max) which work for small solar pannels (12/ 24v 100w ~60ah) ?
Not yet, have been playing around with cheap stuff and old car batteries untill now. And are out shopping for batteries myself.
LiPo seems to be cheaper in the long run because of the life span. But you won't get anything near 60Ah for 200 USD.

I'll go for AGM or something like that, that is cheaper to buy for now. Once I get everything up and running we'll start saving for LiPo storage.
There is only so much budget in my pocket...

Back