diy solar

diy solar

Are we still seeing JK B2A8S20P failures?

hwse

Solar Enthusiast
late last summer me and several others who received some of the first JK B2A8S20P BMS's had their units fail to boot. since then, I have not seen as many comments about this problem. Are we still having that problem or has JK resolved the issue on the later units?

late last summer me and several others who received some of the first JK B2A8S20P BMS's had their units fail to boot. since then, I have not seen as many comments about this problem. Are we still having that problem or has JK resolved the issue on the later units?
I recently ordered and put together a pack with some LF280K cells. I did a few days testing with it and put it into service about 4 weeks ago and it has been flawless. It was my first JK after using a lot of JBD and a couple Daly. I've already ordered enough to replace all my JDBs. I'm very happy with it and active balancing.

Same here. Have 2 running in service since 72 days without a single problem. That said, the battery is for a marine application and will only be brought into full service next summer, means the BMS there is little to no current appart from a few test cycles here and there. The BMS is still switched on all time. Super happy with the active balancer.

Thanks. My failed one was also in a boat application, and it did not have any high current loads. Just household loads for refrigeration, heating, lights and electronics. The biggest current that it ever saw was about 60A for charging. It failed after turning it off to change some down-stream wiring and failed to restart. I ordered mine in the first few weeks after it came out and was one of the very first sold. It also had some significant damage in shipping. Either of those things are good. I was concerned about the damage to the heat sinks so already had a second on order for a spare and that one has been fine.

I ordered one last summer and a second one (as spare cuz for boat application) in autumn. Both of them have multiple power off/on cycles using the button. No issues at all so far, no strange sounds from the charger, no drop outs and no other problems that others have reported here and that made me think it is better to carry a spare on the boat. Perhaps I am just lucky do far (knock on wood)

Ordered 2x 4S 2A with heat and can in January. Both failed. One GPS port defect and other one couldn't be switched off. Also Bluetooth signal on one was very weak. Both refunded and now I'm on their blacklist :-0

Idea was to replace chargery BMS with JK but I'm not convinced the quality is good and units will last long.

I'm happy to invest in better quality. But don't know which brand

Ordered 2x 4S 2A with heat and can in January. Both failed. One GPS port defect and other one couldn't be switched off. Also Bluetooth signal on one was very weak. Both refunded and now I'm on their blacklist :-0

Idea was to replace chargery BMS with JK but I'm not convinced the quality is good and units will last long.

I'm happy to invest in better quality. But don't know which brand
It sounds like what has happened is the JK BMS has made some component changes likely due to parts shortages and made the product less reliable. This is why you see many people happy with the JK BMS who got it early/mid last year and less happy people later on. Mine is one of the "older" ones so it has been working flawlessly for me. Since I will have multiple parallel packs I will also have a Batrium on at least one so that I'm not completely reliant on the two JK BMSs always working. The small passive balancing of the Batrium will be addressed if needed with an active balancer. I'll lose ability to simply disallow discharge and still allow charging like the JK BMS since you typically use large relay or breaker to trip with the Batrium.

I think you can say the same on many Chinese products.

I have worked with Chinese electronic outfits for many years. They often make part substitutions based shortages or getting a surplus batch of parts at bargain price. Not much verification on product performance impact when making part substitutions.

I have seen them develop a product solely based on getting a truck load of surplus parts. When the parts run out so does the product manufacturing for that product.

VAT tax system is highly corrupt. They also have many ways to get around import/export duties. We used to call Hong Kong the 'through the looking glass city' for the gateway used to get around tariffs. They also use Taiwan with many undercover personnel to get prohibited items into and out of PRC.

Quality control is not high on the priority list. Keeping production cranking at lowest cost is.

All the quality certifications are pretty much a joke. You just pay a fee to the certifying agency, and you have your quality certificate.

Product specs are not based on guaranteed performance. It is more a statement of 'maybe you will find one as good as' under a very specific setup up unrealistic conditions.

Last edited:
Bought 8 modules JK B28S20P end of last year. One refused to accept the new password. Naomi sent me a temporary password which worked fine. After updating the Android App to Version 4.11.0 the password lockout problem was gone. Since then they are running without a problem.

I'm 99% sure I've solved that issue now:

If you can solder, I can let you know how to do it, and even send you some chips if you want (once I've verified everything here).

EDIT: oops, didn't see who I was replying to; you already know... :sneaky:

Do you have balance enabled in the control section? Also, once it's on, what is your delta and voltage in the config before it kicks in?
Just swapped the BMS (came from a Daly) so as you see its just a couple of hours installed.
In the control section it's on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230311-173959.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311-173959.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230311-174039.jpg
    Screenshot_20230311-174039.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
I haven't seen cell volt diff over 0.005V. Mostly 0.001V.
Is it correct that the notification stays on OFF untill cell volt diff is over the balance trigger volt setting? So when balancing kicks in the notification change from OFF to ON?

I haven't seen cell volt diff over 0.005V. Mostly 0.001V.
Is it correct that the notification stays on OFF untill cell volt diff is over the balance trigger volt setting? So when balancing kicks in the notification change from OFF to ON?

Yes - it will turn on when your cell delta goes over 5mV. It's normal that it shows off on your main screen even if it's enabled in the control.

Back