diy solar

diy solar

Bad days for Solar Production.

OK, someone put the Christmas Hoodoo in. Two days ago it was 65F at this time. This morning after raining the day before it was 50F. Now it is 35F and lightly snowing. I don't need a white Christmas! I want a sunny and warm one. I had to get the darn fire going because my chestnuts were getting cold. I don't think I'm dreaming but If I am it sure is not a PV productive one.

Happy Holidays everyone!

I feel yer pain... visiting family in OK after driving cross country from AZ. Neurotic weather, clouds, rain, a little snow and a similar chilled chestnuts situation!

Last Wednesday clear blue skies, then the persisting vaportrails started. In no time at all the whole sky painted grey. Six days later still no sun, can't charge the new powerpro. Three more days of darkness.

Last Wednesday clear blue skies, then the persisting vaportrails started. In no time at all the whole sky painted grey. Six days later still no sun, can't charge the new powerpro. Three more days of darkness.
Until this big low pressure area moves to the east, it will remain no sun for most of Iowa. I see you should see some snow later today, keep that down in your part of the state. I'm up in the NE corner of Iowa. Western Iowa did get some sun in the last 6 days, this sun desert has lasted a long time here.

Another super productive day.
Definitely adding more batteries (Envision).
Really curious to see how well the new NE solar panels perform on crap days.

View attachment 180947
Let
Another super productive day.
Definitely adding more batteries (Envision).
Really curious to see how well the new NE solar panels perform on crap days.

View attachment 180947
I order some of the 31 NE solar panels as will. How it work out for you so far?

Let

I order some of the 31 NE solar panels as will. How it work out for you so far?
Excellent. Haven't had many great days but they few I've seen the panels have performed excellent. Mppt 1 in the attached screenshot is a random sunny day shortly after install.

Attachments

• IMG_20231216_074301.jpg
    IMG_20231216_074301.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231220-163444.jpg
    Screenshot_20231220-163444.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 19
Excellent. Haven't had many great days but they few I've seen the panels have performed excellent. Mppt 1 in the attached screenshot is a random sunny day shortly after install.
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Plan to install in January if the weather is good and didn’t froze the ground.

Some freezing rain overnight & early this morning, then warmed up a couple degrees and changed to just Rain.
I see sun forcast to return on Thursday, at least this rain removed the ice that formed on the PV panels last night!
I think this is all my fault!
November is typically my worst solar month, and I was actually bragging that December would be ' a bit better' - But Noooooo, not better, started off crap, ending crap just total crap. LOL.
Well, January just around the corner...guess we will see what we get!

Last edited:
I left town on Dec 23rd to visit family for Christmas. I was a little nervous my system might fall shar and start using grid power at a bad time since I was not here to monitor it. Well, we got a Christmas miracle. We had 3 days of vey good sunshine while I was gone. On 2 days, it even managed to get the battery bank up to the absorb setting in the AC coupled system, and the DC system pushed it a bit higher still. Dec. 25th even turned out to be the best production, hitting 14.6 KWHs out of the 4,800 watts of panels on the Enphase system, and another 4.6 KWHs from the 2,000 watts of DC panels. That makes the total haul 19.2 KWHs when no one was here to use power. So the system even exported 3.4 kilowatt hours out to the grid for credit when I may need it later. Too bad it was at the cheap rate though.

Some clouds moved back in today, dropping production on the Enphase system to just 9.6 KWHS, and the DC system made 3.6 KWHs, but the battery has enough in it, it will make it to tomorrow without a problem. BUT... They are predicting a cloudy day again. So to be on the safe side, I am going to push a bit of grid charging during the cheap overnight. The best we get is "Partly Cloudy" for the next 3 days, then rain moves back in for 3 days. Oh well.

I left town on Dec 23rd to visit family for Christmas. I was a little nervous my system might fall shar and start using grid power at a bad time since I was not here to monitor it. Well, we got a Christmas miracle. We had 3 days of vey good sunshine while I was gone. On 2 days, it even managed to get the battery bank up to the absorb setting in the AC coupled system, and the DC system pushed it a bit higher still. Dec. 25th even turned out to be the best production, hitting 14.6 KWHs out of the 4,800 watts of panels on the Enphase system, and another 4.6 KWHs from the 2,000 watts of DC panels. That makes the total haul 19.2 KWHs when no one was here to use power. So the system even exported 3.4 kilowatt hours out to the grid for credit when I may need it later. Too bad it was at the cheap rate though.

Some clouds moved back in today, dropping production on the Enphase system to just 9.6 KWHS, and the DC system made 3.6 KWHs, but the battery has enough in it, it will make it to tomorrow without a problem. BUT... They are predicting a cloudy day again. So to be on the safe side, I am going to push a bit of grid charging during the cheap overnight. The best we get is "Partly Cloudy" for the next 3 days, then rain moves back in for 3 days. Oh well.
Sounds like you had some very fortunate weather while away.

I think most of us are having to put up with rain or clouds.

I had almost a foot of water standing in my back 40 yesterday.

Well at least we won’t have to worry about a drought.

Something really strange happened here today, it turned all blue above, like the sea fell out of the ocean and there's a bright glowing thing in the sky that fucked my eyes up when I looked at it. Over 5kw of juice hitting my batteries though so it must be okay.

Find a cave to hide in. The end is near.
It's happening here, to.

Last edited:
First time in 7 days I saw more than 100W charging. Up to 2Kw now.

It won't last, snow in forecast tomorrow. And cloudy. :mad:

Given the reduced snowfall this winter I'll gladly take Jan-Mar with nothing but clouds, cold snd snow.

But yes, I've needed to run the generator for about 90 minutes a day. Keeping the christmas lights is important.

I was so busy I never got out Christmas lights on the house this year :( Part of it was I needed to track down and replace a few bad bulbs and I never got that far. No sense in putting up strings of lights with sections not working.

Don't feel so bad using the grid after looking at my bill ?
View attachment 185383
@42OhmsPA, Is that 8.89 cents per kwh delivered, or just the supply cost? As I recall, utilities in PA "split" the bill into two, separate charges - for supply (producing the power) and then a separate charge for delivering it. They do that here in Maine and each charge ends up being about half what you actually pay, per kwh delivered. I once lived in PA, and seem to recall they did that, as well.

We're currently at just under 29 cents per kwh delivered in Maine, but it drops to about 25 cents Jan 1 2024. That's still high, though, so I really want the sun to come back!

diy solar

diy solar
Back