diy solar

diy solar

BATTERY SELLERS - THE GOOD, BAD, UGLY -- or Jenny (DOCAN) so far so good ...

first of all, that case looks cool post more pictures. Also I'm just going by what I have learned you can try gobelpower.com to read your QR code or download the the QR code lithium battery scanner app to see what they say.

This should tell you what you have.

Thanks for your post @Alkaline. If you don't mind me asking, what do you make of this?

I've purchased a 48V 100Ah lifepo4 battery in a clear case. Through the clear case I can just make out some cell QR codes. I don't want to open the box as it voids the warranty, but I'm quite sure the first six digits of the code is OM1CAA.

The fifth digit, which denotes battery chemistry is an 'A'. Lifepo4 batteries have a 'B' as the fifth digit. 'A' denotes Ni-MH battery chemistry.

Do you have any idea what's going on here?
Based on the visible portion of the encoding, that may be a Data Matrix, and not a QR Code. A QR Code has the concentric square pattern in three of the four corners. In your image, two corners of the code are visible and neither corner has that pattern. I believe it was stated earlier in the thread that CALB was using Data Matrix.

The characters around the outside of the code are arranged differently than the ones the hipster posted in post 42 of this thread. His only had characters on two sides of the Data Matrix. Yours appear to have characters on at least three sides of the code. It is very hard to know if you are starting your decoding with the correct string of characters.

Last edited:
Gee, thanks for all the help.

I purposefully didn't get the battery brand in the photo as I didn't want to give them a bad rep before I knew what was going on. But I'm quite sure it must be lithium rather than NiMH due to there being 16 visible cells in the 48v battery.

It's a 48v 100aH Voltx battery. They are on the cheaper end of batteries here in Australia. I do like the clear case.

@Alkaline, thanks, I went to gobelpower.com, it says the manufacturer is unknown and the chemistry is NiMH.

@hankcurt, yes there are 6 digits on all four sides, making 24 in total, which is the correct number for a QR code. Only one set of six digits has a C in it, and this is in the 4th position, indicating that it is a cell. The other three sides only have numbers, which led me to believe this must be the first 6 digits. But perhaps this is also consistent with a data matrix. Thanks for your super sleuthing - I'll look into that next.

Here's the battery strapped to my lawn mower. I'm doing a conversion.

Attachments

• 20230119_153707.jpg
    20230119_153707.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230119_153345.jpg
    20230119_153345.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 24
Sorry, I only just got back down the the shed. Here are the photos you asked for.

So, I've had a bit of a think about it. I can see:

OM1CAA 150785 000120 _ _ _ 990

As I can see the 4th position in each set I know that only the set with the C in the 4th position can be the first set. After that the sets may be in any order.

So I know that A is in the fifth position. So from gobelpower.com I know the manufacturer is unknown and the chemistry is NiMH.

What am I to think? What could be the story behind this data matrix and these cells?

Would you recommend talking to the manufacturer or just leaving it be and hoping for the best?

Attachments

• 20230125_195208.jpg
    20230125_195208.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230125_195216.jpg
    20230125_195216.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 26
What am I to think? What could be the story behind this data matrix and these cells?
You can see the original codes in the circles under the black plastic cell covers. From looking at the box, only eight screws separate you from the ability to actually read all of the codes. When you get in there, please take more photos.

I'm curious about all of your experiences. I ordered 8 304 AH cells from Docan Technology on Alibaba the end of November. The sales representative I spoke to is named Sandy. Has anyone worked with Sandy? Sandy has been responsive so far but I'm just a little surprised my cells haven't been listed as shipped yet... I see on Docanpower.com that the cells that I ordered are now in stock at the Texas warehouse, which would lead me to believe that my order should either be on the way, or there was some sort of miscommunication...

Well, I ordered 4 cells from Amy Jan 20th and I was told by Amy that my batteries would be shipped on Monday Jan 23. Then, yesterday (24th) I received an email from her that they are all on vacation until the 29th and that she would send me an email confirmation once shipped. I have ordered from them before several times with fast shipping but the batteries are somewhat under capacity promised and/or they are bloated/swollen. The reason I ordered four more was to replace two of the batteries I received from her with issues and two more as backup.

If they give another excuse on the 29th I will ask for a refund. She informed me that Paypal will charge a 5% fee for the refund and they will pass that to me. I don't think that is true because I buy and Sell with Paypal and have never received or paid a fee on refunded items not shipped or received.

So be careful.

Well, I ordered 4 cells from Amy Jan 20th and I was told by Amy that my batteries would be shipped on Monday Jan 23. Then, yesterday (24th) I received an email from her that they are all on vacation until the 29th and that she would send me an email confirmation once shipped. I have ordered from them before several times with fast shipping but the batteries are somewhat under capacity promised and/or they are bloated/swollen. The reason I ordered four more was to replace two of the batteries I received from her with issues and two more as backup.

If they give another excuse on the 29th I will ask for a refund. She informed me that Paypal will charge a 5% fee for the refund and they will pass that to me. I don't think that is true because I buy and Sell with Paypal and have never received or paid a fee on refunded items not shipped or received.

So be careful.
if were at all informed, you would know that chinese new year started, which is the main ( and one of the few) holidays in china.
if amy says she will ship, she will ship

But she knew that when she said they'd be shipped on the 23rd, right?
not really, chinese new year was last saturday, OP ordered last friday, she may have thought she would able to get them send out, warehouse workers may have thought otherwise, happens everywhere.

if were at all informed, you would know that chinese new year started, which is the main ( and one of the few) holidays in china.
if amy says she will ship, she will ship
not really, chinese new year was last saturday, OP ordered last friday, she may have thought she would able to get them send out, warehouse workers may have thought otherwise, happens everywhere.
Apparently they are not as "informed" about their own holiday. Hmmm...

You can see the original codes in the circles under the black plastic cell covers. From looking at the box, only eight screws separate you from the ability to actually read all of the codes. When you get in there, please take more photos.
Reversing back a bit...

Yes, you are right, there are eight screws holding the top cover on; but there's a plastic plug over each one preventing it from being opened without visible damage - which I'd be ok with, except it voids the warranty, which I'm tempted to make use of at this point.

I don't quite know where the 'circles under the black plastic cell covers' are, but perhaps it would become obvious upon opening the box. In any case, I thank you for your help.

Lunar New Year is not a single day. In China and other parts of Asia, it's a week long celebration where families and friends get together, sometimes over long distances. If you look at posts for shops on AliExpress, you'll note that they give a span of time when you can order, but nothing will be shipped. Granted, they are shipping from a US warehouse (in Houston?), but they likely are not taking just a single evening off on Saturday. And even then, over-promising and under-delivering is not a good approach when you can be assured that experiences will be posted to this forum.

Reversing back a bit...

Yes, you are right, there are eight screws holding the top cover on; but there's a plastic plug over each one preventing it from being opened without visible damage - which I'd be ok with, except it voids the warranty, which I'm tempted to make use of at this point.

I don't quite know where the 'circles under the black plastic cell covers' are, but perhaps it would become obvious upon opening the box. In any case, I thank you for your help.
I see. I didn't notice the plugs.

If you look again at your cells, you can see circle cutouts in the black cover near the "+" terminals (blue arrows in the attached photo). The original code from the factory is exposed in those circles. You could open the cover and expose the original codes, but if the battery cycles properly and has the rated capacity, it might be more prudent to just use it and enjoy it. It does look relatively well built.

If I have it correctly, your only concern is that you think you didn't get LFP cells. LFP chemistry yields about 3.2 volts per cell. NiMH yields about 1.2 volts per cell. The photo you provided clearly shows your cells in a 16S configuration and the label says 51.2 volts. If the battery measures anything like 51 volts, you have LFP cells.

20230123_184304.jpg

Back