diy solar

diy solar

Best choices for portable power stations and battery chemistry?

D4v3

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to put together a small solar battery system for camping but I'm finding I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to the batteries. I'm looking to power a portable fridge/freezer (like an ARB) as well as the usual device charging.

I almost bought the 560wh Ninjabatt as it has the capacity I'm looking for at a fair price.

By my calculations it should power the fridge/freezer for about 3 days on a full charge which would be reasonable. Bigger would be better but the cost quickly spirals out of control on these things it seems. I noticed a couple reviewers complaining that they are just using Lithium ion cells which lead me down a bit of a rabbit hole.

I contacted the manufacturer who claims 1000+ charges but that must be a lie as from what I can gather you can only expect 300-500 charges on li-ion, maybe more if you are doing very soft charges. From what I gather they will only last 3 or 4 years at which point it becomes e-waste and I don't want to spend so much money on something that will only last that long. I know there are different chemistries of li-ion batteries with different characteristics, I'm waiting on the manufactuer to give me the specifics on what's in the Ninjabatt.

So then I got looking around and it seems LiFePO4 is the ideal choice for these as they will last much longer.

Now I'm considering getting two of these little GoLabs i200's

The total capacity would be lower, thought it will be a bit cheaper. However, it might make it easier for charging as I can just swap the batteries out and charge the depleted one where I can find some sun or a outlet. The thing is, is GoLabs any good? I don't see them mentioned often, sure the batteries might last a long time but will the electronics?

Now I'm a bit stuck on what to get. Will the Li-ion options truly not last? Even Jackery seems to use Li-ion and that's the brand everyone seems to recommend. Or is there another brand that I should look at? My budget is right around $400 and I would like to get over 500wh total in a unit that will last 5-10 years .

Any advice would be very appreciated.

A couple budget options.....

$110
This unit doesn't advertise it, but it is definitely LiFePO4 (Ive taken apart mine). The AC inverter is weak at 200w, but it will run10 amp DC loads fine. I have 2 units that run my little 12v compressor fridges fine. It has 298wh of capacity.
298wh Hoyoa

$120 after coupon
This is another budget unit I have. Its also about 300wh, its display is not the most accurate, but it has otherwise been flawless for the last few months Ive used it. Identical units are also sold under other brand names but this is by and far the best price.
Koosla 298wh

$400 after Coupon
This is NOT a lifepo4 unit, but a hell of a deal for the capacity and inverter power with the "$200 off coupon"
Gocheer 1000w Unit

If you can wait, occasionally maxoak has refurbed Bluetti EB55 for around $250 on their aliexpress store.

BTW on budget units.....Buying on amazon you can get a 4yr protection plan for $30. In my experience they will usually just issue an amazon gift card for the purchase price with little trouble

Back