diy solar

diy solar

Best Place To Buy Victron?

franklinR

I'm putting together a large (huge) system for my RV, and it will be mostly Victron and a stack of EG4LL 48v batteries.

Question is, where can I find the best price on Victron components?

I'm here in the USA, not interested in buying off eBay or Amazon.

Signature Solar used to have screamin good prices, but looks like they raised them,

So I'm asking for help.

Thanks

If you are purely looking for pricing then solar-electric.com currently has 7% off. As @w8dev mentioned currentconnected.com would have the standard pricing but they will provide excellent service and can even setup some of the configuration for it before it is shipped to you. A lot of these places are simply drop-shipping from a Victron warehouse in Georgia.

I went with current connected. 100% because I’ve not heard any customer complaints here that were not appropriately resolved.

They are a small operation and the one time I called customer support they recommended a bench power supply to wake up my batteries when the right answer was to hit the reset button on the battery. Not a big deal.

I feel confident I’ll get quality support if I have some major issue that needs to be escalated.

Last edited:
I'm putting together a large (huge) system for my RV, and it will be mostly Victron and a stack of EG4LL 48v batteries.

Signature Solar used to have screamin good prices, but looks like they raised them,

So I'm asking for help.

Thanks

I second Current Connected. Do a Search for them on this forum and see that they have good customer service & support selling Victron Energy systems. They also sell SOK rack mount batteries.

Victron seems to have a minimum sales price on their products so go with a vendor that value adds during the buying process.

https://www.altestore.com/ has a 5% off sale right now.

I've bought Victron gear from https://solarsupplyhouse.com/ in the past with a discount, but it was through a phone call.

CurrentConnected.com has a very good reputation here on the forum and provides a lot of advice here. That's worth more than 5% to me.

Victron has a "Minimum Advertised Price" that dealers cannot go below in advertising. But, dealers can sell below the MAP. Call a dealer, tell them what you need and ask for a quote.

Some dealers have a suggested retail price on their web sites for Victron gear, then a "sale price" that is lower. The "sale" price is often the MAP price that dealers cannot go below. Since Victron dealers cannot advertise a price lower than MAP, the best way to get a better price is to talk to someone.

I think you're right about victron having set a minimum price.

They also have authorized vendors. When Victron finds new product being sold at unauthorized sites they track it down to the vendor that provided it. I was a fly on the wall during a conference call when that happened.

Pike Industries
Pike industries promptly exchanged a Victron DC toDC converter that went bad For me. I bought through them off Amazon. Often have to look real close to find who the actual vendor is on Amazon.

By way of contrast, the Amazon seller on one of my 12 volt inverters was AWOL when I had an issue.

By way of contrast, the Amazon seller on one of my 12 volt inverters was AWOL when I had an issue.

That's a valid point.

While I haven't needed after sales service/support, when I contacted Solar Supply House prior to my purchase, they were very knowledgeable. Like they had already implemented exactly what I was try to do.

So I'm asking for help.

Thanks
Anyone selling Victron at below any other legit dealer wont be a dealer for long.. Victron has strict dealer pricing constraints. Buy only from a dealer who can support it. Bay Marine Supply is excellent.. Current Connected is also excellent..

Last edited:
Resale price maintenance.

I once ask Rack Attack to match a good price on a Thule rack under their “best price promise.”

They then get my cheaper seller in trouble the Thule. The sale price disappeared and both Rack Attack and the other denied it ever existed. Back in the early days of the internet, no screenshot of the advert. Still salty about it.

If you find a good sales price, grab it and keep it quiet. ?

Most vendors offering price match on products with a MAP use it as a mechanism for the customers to patrol the competitors, so they can report the competitors. I had a Victron price wrong by a few cents (typo) and someone complained about it.

I appreciate everyone giving Current Connected positive feedback! That's why we exist!

Resale price maintenance.

I once ask Rack Attack to match a good price on a Thule rack under their “best price promise.”

They then get my cheaper seller in trouble the Thule. The sale price disappeared and both Rack Attack and the other denied it ever existed. Back in the early days of the internet, no screenshot of the advert. Still salty about it.

If you find a good sales price, grab it and keep it quiet. ?
I think this is actually the case.
Around the end of 2022 I was seeing Victron components at a particular vendor at prices way lower than anywhere else. Like $200 less for a Multiplus 3000. I don’t think it was a holiday sale.
I ignorantly shared the info a couple places and in January ‘23 the vendor was at the same price as everyone else.
If that was because of pressure from Victron, That’s not a free market. A retailer should be able to sell their product that they bought at whatever price they choose.
Competition is good for consumers. And if a seller sells too cheap and can no longer keep the doors open, well it is what it is, so be it. The consumers find another source for the products they need.

Last edited:
I think this is actually the case.
Around the end of 2022 I was seeing Victron components at a particular vendor at prices way lower than anywhere else. Like $200 less for a Multiplus 3000.
I ignorantly shared the info a couple places and in January ‘23 the vendor was at the same price as everyone else. I don’t think it was a holiday sale.
That’s not a free market. A retailer should be able to sell their product at whatever price they choose.
Competition is good for consumers. And if a seller sells too cheap and can no longer keep the doors open, well it is what it is, so be it.
MAP is actually for the benefit of you, the consumer. It keeps the companies that will race to the bottom on price from undercutting the guys that will actually take care of you (that need to make money to support a good business).

When all the retailers buy the equipment at the same price, racing to who wants a smaller profit margin is not good. That's hardly competition...no one is actually doing any work to be competitive. Simply cutthroat tactics and that's it.

If you don't have a pricing structure so that the boots on the ground can make money, no dealer is going to want to carry your product. I can't carry products that if we don't make enough money to pay our support staff. So if dealers have to cut back on product support, and the customer experience suffers, that's a quick way for everyone to say "X" brand is not worth buying anymore.

You always get what you pay for. No one works for free.

MAP is actually for the benefit of you, the consumer. It keeps the companies that will race to the bottom on price from undercutting the guys that will actually take care of you (that need to make money to support a good business).

Would you say the same is true for price-fixing between competing manufacturers, since it keeps them from being harmed by low margins?

Of course, the bad drives out the good, and consumers get what they (collectively) deserve.

You always get what you pay for.

"You get what you pay for"? Not necessarily. The more accurate statement is, "You PAY for what you get"

Competition in price has done a lot of harm, but also may prevent excessive prices for consumers.

Trucking used to be regulated and profitable. Now, independent operators have trouble paying for fuel and maintenance, might earn minimum wage if they're lucky. Direct orders with a trucking firm sometimes cost 2x or 3x same carrier through a broker. Fuel surcharges get pocketed by broker, not given to driver.

Movers are still regulated. And there are stories of extortion, threats to damage property.

Consumers would do better buying products that last, but often shop based on price. The data for cost of ownership isn't readily available. Appliances have a reputation for breaking sooner now, but we mostly hear the complaints so can't be sure. Wish we had good statistics.

Look at the difficulty we have determining reliability of inverters. Some brands we have many indicates of higher failure rate, but some people say that is just badmouthing by one or two installers.

I just recently ran into what @HighTechLab is basically saying Victron is trying to avoid since Victron relies on the seller to support the customer. Greentech Renewables was refusing to sell to me because at their prices they can not support selling to end-users who need after sales support because they were getting too many people purchasing from them who didn't know what they were doing.

Would you say the same is true for price-fixing between competing manufacturers
Absolutely not. I'm strictly talking about resellers competing with the same manufacturer's products.

diy solar

diy solar
Back