diy solar

diy solar

Big dreams, small living, off-grid homestead from scratch

@50ShadesOfDirt thx for the insights. We do have 3 propane genies. Using portable tanks currently but will have an on-site tank once house is done

Reactions: HLB
Houston, we have percolation.
Working out the septic design now, should submit to county for permit approval next week.
Hoping to run a 1250g tank with 3 leech lines and 450g of flow capacity.
Was able to find some suitable areas that we could hit 7ft without fighting bedrock IMG_0418.jpeg

Houston, we have percolation.
Working out the septic design now, should submit to county for permit approval next week.
Hoping to run a 1250g tank with 3 leech lines and 450g of flow capacity.
Was able to find some suitable areas that we could hit 7ft without fighting bedrock
How much will that cost you?

My brother had one put in about 15 years ago and cost over $5k and the drain line from the house froze every winter.

Just curious if the costs have increased.

How much will that cost you?

My brother had one put in about 15 years ago and cost over $5k and the drain line from the house froze every winter.

Just curious if the costs have increased.
500 for the permit application
About 3500 for material (tank, odds and ends)
However much diesel it takes to keep the machines running, probably a lot in fuel since I’m slow ? but I don’t wanna pay someone else to do it

I think it’s close to 10k if I hire it out

Wish I woulda known she was in the ditch. Woulda quartered it before spoils
County said they won’t move it, game and fish won’t move it, sheriff said I need a permit to move it but won’t give me a permit.

Remind me again why even ask? Next time I’ll just move it before wasting time
B8F0AAAF-24A9-4972-8870-41EB919DEE2C.jpeg

WOW !
At the very start of this thread,,,you mentioned you have been accused of being a bit "wordy"... Follow that advice !

It's a damn good thread,be very interested to follow the build !

Last edited:
Wish I woulda known she was in the ditch. Woulda quartered it before spoils
County said they won’t move it, game and fish won’t move it, sheriff said I need a permit to move it but won’t give me a permit.

Remind me again why even ask? Next time I’ll just move it before wasting time
View attachment 176133
Move...what?...moose?

I don’t know if I’m a genius or a dumb ass, and I don’t think we will find out soon as it could go either way for a long time.

Needless to say, I’ve gotta drive down to the valley this week to pick up 17 black frame 360w Trina panels from SanTan
But I also have 62 (2 pallets) 370w HT panels on the truck and headed my way with a full bit of steam.

I had planned to pick up a scream of a deal on a “backup inverter” while down there, but if ya snooze ya loose and someone else beat me with the funds. It was an identical 10kw to mine but a powmr variant for $600. New in box.

IMG_0458.jpeg

I just want to know what you are running with that much power.. the entire town?
Whatever the heck he wants....
I currently have ~9.3kw of panels, on a rainy dark day last month they produced less than 2kwh....
Panels are a heck of a lot cheaper than batteries....
Someday I'll have 30+kw of panels and 75+kwh of batteries... Why because I can, because I won't have to worry about using power whenever I want... Smoke a pork picnic for 12hrs in the dead of winter during a blizzard, why not.

You can never have enough panels or batteries or inverting power ?

Smoke a pork picnic for 12hrs in the dead of winter during a blizzard, why not.
gotta love how little energy the pellet smokers take. And if all else fails, the ol stick burner can take a turn
The pellet smoker has been great for alternative dishes though. Have done stuff like a tray of lasagna in it and wasn’t overpowered with smokehouse flavor

That is one philosophy.. just not mine!
In the future, I intend to be more mindful.
At this junction with two teenagers I’m trying to thread a needle between self caused insanity, frugalness, and energy use
Check back in here in 5 years and if I’m still adding arrays to the property please smack me

(5years is enough time for a 13yr old to develop a frontal lobe, complete school, learn a career, and move out right….right??? ?)

Ive got a 2 acre field beside my house that I plan on putting an acre worth of panels in at least. As mentioned you can never have enough panels or batteries :)

Ive got a 2 acre field beside my house that I plan on putting an acre worth of panels in at least. As mentioned you can never have enough panels or batteries :)
At that point I guess the debate is: run it all so it’s not wasted just sitting, or keep it safe as backup for a storm, hail, destruction, emp, zombies, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc

At that point I guess the debate is: run it all so it’s not wasted just sitting, or keep it safe as backup for a storm, hail, destruction, emp, zombies, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc
Nah crypto currency is what I'm going to use it for :)

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I kept all my old poly panels and glad I did. I put them to use on projects for a recharging station and irrigation pump. I still have a few in storage plus several portable panels I got with power stations I reviewed.

Always handy for camping or temporary projects for some power or even to boost the cabin system on low sun days.

Back