diy solar

diy solar

BMS Frustrations

Core2

Hello all! Thank you in advance for any advice in advance.

I purchased an ANT BMS 24V. This thing is junk IMO. The app is the worst software I think I've ever used. The build quality is disappointing. The lack of information on the device is shocking. I purchased without doing my research first. I can't find a manual for the device. I've been doing my best working from the picture found in this thread for wiring the thing up.

What's everyone's opinion of current Daly BMS options? Specifically i'm looking at this 24v 200A version. It has terrible reviews on Amazon. I really only need the 150A version but the leads coming off that version seem wimpy.

Overkill doesn't offer a high enough current for my setup. Multiplus-ii 3000VA inverter.

Is there a good build quality, easy to mount BMS for 24v 8s that can supply a continuous 150A that I'm unaware of?

Hello all! Thank you in advance for any advice in advance.

I purchased an ANT BMS 24V. This thing is junk IMO. The app is the worst software I think I've ever used. The build quality is disappointing. The lack of information on the device is shocking. I purchased without doing my research first. I can't find a manual for the device. I've been doing my best working from the picture found in this thread for wiring the thing up.

What's everyone's opinion of current Daly BMS options? Specifically i'm looking at this 24v 200A version. It has terrible reviews on Amazon. I really only need the 150A version but the leads coming off that version seem wimpy.

Overkill doesn't offer a high enough current for my setup. Multiplus-ii 3000VA inverter.

Is there a good build quality, easy to mount BMS for 24v 8s that can supply a continuous 150A that I'm unaware of?
I think your battery bank might be a little small for that unit running at full capacity you only have about 2.5 hours of running with a 302ah battery you might consider a second battery then you would have more bms options

I think your battery bank might be a little small for that unit running at full capacity you only have about 2.5 hours of running with a 302ah battery you might consider a second battery then you would have more bms options
I agree bigger is better, budget and mostly space is the limiting factor. However the bank I have is fine for now. Pulling max load on the inverter, 2,471W (testing for ~15s), I was only pulling 116.90 amps from the battery. Far below 1C. Also I won't be pulling that kind of load very often. Microwave is ~1500watts. I think the A/C is 1350watts. This is a small camper setup. Running TV, Lights (DC), some A/C lights, Fans, and some computers will be the normal load. ~200-400 watts.
Charging, the cells have an optimal amp rating of 85. The inverter can supply a maximum of 70 and the CC 45amps. I will lower the output of the inverter charger when needed to not go over 85 total. I don't intend on using the inverter charger all that much.

I've only ever used ANT BMS and have no issues. I would agree that the latest app is overly complicated but all the features and functionality are there. Can you post a pic of your setup?

I've only ever used ANT BMS and have no issues. I would agree that the latest app is overly complicated but all the features and functionality are there. Can you post a pic of your setup?
I've unhooked it completely for the time being.

I decided to purchase a OverKillSolar 8s 24V 100 amp BMS, I tried to navigate to their site and it's down. Is this a sign? lol
Update: Their site is backup and I ordered one.

Last Sunday I installed the Overkill BMS. The instructions were great. Getting the application downloaded was easy. Also the app is easy to use. The BMS came with example settings and explanations of each setting printed out. The BMS is functioning just like it should.
I did make a mistake when hooking it up. I thought I could hook the wire harness up by itself and read the cell voltages. The Battery - of the BMS has to be hooked up to get good readings. I emailed OverKillSolar support and got an answer within the hour. On a Sunday! Very impressed with their suppport.

Check RadioBtech out. Mine has been great. 12v 4s 150a discharge. They might have what you need though. Great customer service also.

edit: didnt read your last post.

I am pretty sure that JBD offers several options in the 200 Amp neighborhood.
I am using a contactor based JBD BMS for my chipper shredder conversion. It runs on 32 volts and has a startup surge. I would not go with anything less than a contactor based BMS for anything continuous above 100 Amps.

Back