diy solar

diy solar

Building a 12v, 100Ah battery ?

Doug Wall

I'm putting together a 12v, 100Ah power box. I want to install a "safety switch" that can turn everything off when not in use. My initial thought is to install a big automotive type battery disconnect switch, but would I want to leave the BMS connected to the battery for monitoring? Another thought might be to put a smaller switch on one of the BMS control leads, that would turn the BMS off, and keep it from connecting power to any of the outlets. Any thoughts?

The BMS that Overkill Solar sells can be controlled with a signal type switch (almost zero power) or it can be turned off with the Bluetooth phone app. However, there is a bit of current spike when connecting to an inverter. If the inverter is more than about 1000w, I would rather not be switching the battery to the inverter off and on. If you don't plan to pull huge current, you might consider a power connector coming out of the BMS and positive lines.

I think that I have it figured out! Here's the sequence- Power connections positive/ Master Breaker 100A/ Battery+/Battery-/ BMS (negative)/ Main cut off switch/ Power connections negative. All of the outlets/accessories running between the pos., and neg., will have individual fuses. That way the BMS will be connected to the battery, but be isolated from all accessories.

I think that I have it figured out! Here's the sequence- Power connections positive/ Master Breaker 100A/ Battery+/Battery-/ BMS (negative)/ Main cut off switch/ Power connections negative. All of the outlets/accessories running between the pos., and neg., will have individual fuses. That way the BMS will be connected to the battery, but be isolated from all accessories.
I am not sure I follow but if the BMS balance leads AND the BMS main negative are connected to the battery, you should be good.

1635270098700.png

I am not sure I follow but if the BMS balance leads AND the BMS main negative are connected to the battery, you should be good.

View attachment 70252
Yes, that's pretty much it. I would have a 100A breaker and power switch where you have the power switch indicated. I was originally thinking of having the switch on the Neg lead, and the breaker on the Pos lead, but it would probably work either way.

Back