diy solar

diy solar

Building the sickest ® VAWT ever. Brilliant minds unite please!!

this is how coils are made.
Any coils one has seen in the past are rendered obsolete ;)

View attachment 169884

6 x 300 winds @ 0.4mm. PLA print with 100% infill proofed to withstand the pressure of pushing in the wires.

What environmental conditions are you specifying for your turbine?
I understand native Americans quarried stone by chiseling a groove, putting in dry wood, then adding water.
Also, E-fields applied to water would cause losses. And retained moisture could promote failure of dielectric and corrosion.

Perhaps you can 3D print impervious tongue depressors/popsicle sticks.

Is it possible to fixture metal (magnetic) components and then 3D print around them, to make high Mu inserts?

What environmental conditions are you specifying for your turbine?
I understand native Americans quarried stone by chiseling a groove, putting in dry wood, then adding water.
Also, E-fields applied to water would cause losses. And retained moisture could promote failure of dielectric and corrosion.

Perhaps you can 3D print impervious tongue depressors/popsicle sticks.

Is it possible to fixture metal (magnetic) components and then 3D print around them, to make high Mu inserts?
I will need some time to dig into this brother. I am not fully confident I comprehend at the moment.

I will need some time to dig into this brother. I am not fully confident I comprehend at the moment.
The point being you should waterproof the coils with some kind of lacquer or epoxy. Water in the coils will waste energy and the windings rubbing together will eventually short them together.

Long, so loop can bend down and let next loop clear it?
You have made this suggestions two times already as far as I was able to keep record.

Now here comes the worry I have with long loops.

Given that there is ACv flowing over them does that mean that wire size is less relevant?

I mean the crap turbine I broke apart (look for cheap chines turbine an in depth ....) also used 0.4mm wires.

But what ever gang. I am now focusing on getting something spinning that has enough stability at 1.3m diameter.

Yeah, it's not easy to get a disk of 1.3m spinning with stability.

If one has a suggestion you know I am always open.

You have made this suggestions two times already as far as I was able to keep record.

Now here comes the worry I have with long loops.

Given that there is ACv flowing over them does that mean that wire size is less relevant?

I mean the crap turbine I broke apart (look for cheap chines turbine an in depth ....) also used 0.4mm wires.

But what ever gang. I am now focusing on getting something spinning that has enough stability at 1.3m diameter.

Yeah, it's not easy to get a disk of 1.3m spinning with stability.

If one has a suggestion you know I am always open.
I meant that even though the wires are under ACv I should still worry about wire length?

Because if not then .............................. ohhhhh...... this is going to become extraordinary

Last edited:
because if wire size is less relevant in vAC setups then why would I not use 0.000001 mm wires to put in the coils ;)

sure sure. there are practical reason like they will break even when looking at them.

But I am trying to make a point here. If vAC does not require big wires then how small can I get?

Wire cross section matters just as much for AC as for DC. Except at higher frequency where skin depth said current only flows in the outer layer. For 60 Hz, skin depth 8mm means 1/e about 1/3 flows deeper than 8mm. High voltage transmission uses steel cable core for strength and aluminum outside for lower resistance (while being cheaper and lighter than copper.)

And then very high microwave frequencies you have the option of sending power as EM waves through waveguides, pipes. It only interacts with the pipes when reflecting, to a skin depth which is shallow, so plating. Wave guides can be made with PCB, also dielectric of a coax. Supposedly less loss than in wires.

Wires have resistance, voltage drop for a given current. Also heating. That will increase loss and limit how much power you can get from a given stator. Larger cross section has lower resistance, but you can't fit as may. Cooling helps. Air flow, even helium or hydrogen. But avoid exposed conductors that can conduct current by breaking down helium - it is used when testing for insulation damage.

The extra length of a larger loop, beyond what it takes to have most of the magnet's field go through the middle, isn't helping generation.

For twice the voltage, half the current, same power, you'll use twice as man turns and can have half the cross section.

The extra length of a larger loop, beyond what it takes to have most of the magnet's field go through the middle, isn't helping generation
yes!!! and since your stance is that also for AC length matters (in terms of resistance. what what? what? I remember my wife complaining about the same)

So, all jokes aside. I think it's a game of finding the perfect balance between wire length and wire size.

First try, have enough length to bend loop away from getting hit by disc. Maybe only in direction toward shaft, if armature/magnets don't extend too far.

Under higher current, there could be force deflecting the wires. Tying back and/or encapsulation should help. Obviously a bundle of wires dipped in varnish is more rigid than same wires not bonded together.

but I have this part of the game already covered. as I am assuming that with my new coils things are going to turn out rather favorable.
then it will only a matter to make a calculation on how may winds we need and how thick I can make the wires.

Please lets not forget we have like a 1.3m diameter to play with here.!!

in concept I think the difference between the men and the boys is the reason one is doing all what he is doing.

Sure I boast a lot. And sure I suffer from the dopamine withdrawal / or am looking for some new when posting again.
But here is where the boys stop.

Now for me I have way more reasons to push through. I have the weight of my offspring on my shoulders.
And in some ways I have also the weight of the world on them.

It is only because I stand on the shoulders of giants that I my self can carry weight like mentioned above. So maximum respect to everyone that has tried to help get me along.

Wire cross section matters just as much for AC as for DC. Except at higher frequency where skin depth said current only flows in the outer layer. For 60 Hz, skin depth 8mm means 1/e about 1/3 flows deeper than 8mm. High voltage transmission uses steel cable core for strength and aluminum outside for lower resistance (while being cheaper and lighter than copper.)

And then very high microwave frequencies you have the option of sending power as EM waves through waveguides, pipes. It only interacts with the pipes when reflecting, to a skin depth which is shallow, so plating. Wave guides can be made with PCB, also dielectric of a coax. Supposedly less loss than in wires.

Wires have resistance, voltage drop for a given current. Also heating. That will increase loss and limit how much power you can get from a given stator. Larger cross section has lower resistance, but you can't fit as may. Cooling helps. Air flow, even helium or hydrogen. But avoid exposed conductors that can conduct current by breaking down helium - it is used when testing for insulation damage.

The extra length of a larger loop, beyond what it takes to have most of the magnet's field go through the middle, isn't helping generation.

For twice the voltage, half the current, same power, you'll use twice as man turns and can have half the cross section.
Yes mentor! I will strife for the widest wire

Back