diy solar

diy solar

BYD BMS

I made a similar wiring harness using a TE header to jst to a batteryGo BG-8S. I have 6 packs and they all have this wiring pattern.

Three different batt versions would make it tricky to make a generic wiring adapter. Are there pack identifying markers?
I didn't notice any difference in the outside. I only noticed when I was checking/verifying continuity. Only 1 of my 8 packs was different. If you do the inside with the F/F breadboard jumpers then it's a simple fix.

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_173334537.jpg
    IMG_20200122_173334537.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13
I just got the ant BMS, do you the default settings or is there a special config required for the BYD batteries?

I didn't notice any difference in the outside. I only noticed when I was checking/verifying continuity. Only 1 of my 8 packs was different. If you do the inside with the F/F breadboard jumpers then it's a simple fix.

I just got the ant BMS, do you the default settings or is there a special config required for the BYD batteries?
The first thing to do is connect to Bluetooth.
If you only have one, then skip this:
  • Scroll down until you get to "Bluetooth MAC Address"
    • Change it to anything "1 - 65535"
On the MainView tab press "FE-LI Param", it doesn't really matter, but it made me feel like I did something important.
Pres Param1 tab.
Put in the settings, 1 by 1.
  • You have to press SET after every item you change. I press SAVE also. (Again, I don't know if SAVE actually does anything, but it made me happy)
Here are my "safest" settings I can think of:
2020-02-29.png2020-02-29 (1).png2020-02-29 (2).png2020-02-29 (3).png
(High Res Screen Shots)

I am basing these settings off of using the flat part of the LiFEPO4 discharge curve. Feel free to experiment though. My settings stay in the flat 80%, and avoid the legs.

Last edited:
Thank you for this information. Highest charge i was able to get on my pack was 27v, then i let it sit and it settled at 26.7v.

The first thing to do is connect to Bluetooth.
If you only have one, then skip this:
  • Scroll down until you get to "Bluetooth MAC Address"
    • Change it to anything "1 - 65535"
On the MainView tab press "FE-LI Param", it doesn't really matter, but it made me feel like I did something important.
Pres Param1 tab.
Put in the settings, 1 by 1.
  • You have to press SET after every item you change. I press SAVE also. (Again, I don't know if SAVE actually does anything, but it made me happy)
Here are my "safest" settings I can think of:
View attachment 8303View attachment 8302View attachment 8301View attachment 8300
(High Res Screen Shots)

I am basing these settings off of using the flat part of the LiFEPO4 discharge curve. Feel free to experiment though. My settings stay in the flat 80%, and avoid the legs.

Thank you for this information. Highest charge i was able to get on my pack was 27v, then i let it sit and it settled at 26.7v.
That's 99% according to the slope chart. Sounds great to me! 26.7V is somewhere between 85% and 90%, which is fantastic also! ?

There is no magic SOC direct absolute chart. It's all just a "fuzzy suggestion".

If you really want to do a full-on absolute measurement, you have to have a Columb meter and put a very fixed load on and then just record everything, volt/amp/IR/temperature/humidity/wire size/wire length/power factor/insulation.

And even then, it's still just a "model", which only applies to that load and conditions. The real world is never the model.

Better a fuzzy picture, than nothing at all.
The replacements re-ordered middle of February finally left the country. I can see logistics must be a nightmare there with the Corona.
Nobody wants to touch anything.

I sketched up these adapter boards. Two balance connectors for each of the two flavors. J1/J2 are the TE connectors. J3/4 have cell1 on pin7. J5/6 have cell1 on pin4. Populate the ones you need.

I'll size traces, fill planes, and move things around a bit before sending out to fab. Thoughts anyone?

byd_bms_header.jpg

Traces looks a bit thin for balancing current (I guess that's 10 or 12 mils, I'd use 50 mils if possible, or at least 25 mils if you can't). Looks great otherwise ;)

Traces looks a bit thin for balancing current (I guess that's 10 or 12 mils, I'd use 50 mils if possible, or at least 25 mils if you can't). Looks great otherwise ;)

byd_bms_header_v2.jpgbyd_bms_header_v2_back.jpg
External traces, @.38mm(15.15mil), 2oz, no via's. Vendor calculator gets ~1.5A. My Chargery is a 1.2A balancer.
Trying to accommodate 2 battery config's is not optimal. I may just end up making adjacent board layouts and snap it post build.
I also have an active balancer @5A.. this would be interesting to make a separate board for that with screw headers.

Last edited:
You're wasting a lot of board space by not placing H1 and H2 side by side, you should try that ;)

External traces, @.38mm(15.15mil), 2oz, no via's. Vendor calculator gets ~1.5A. My Chargery is a 1.2A balancer.

Oh that's 2 oz, you're fine then ;)

NB: the standard is 1 oz, I hope you're not paying any extra for the 2 oz because in this case you should just go for 1 oz with bigger traces (20 mils / 0.50 mm will give only a 11 °C rise at 1.5 A so that would be fine but I'd put 25 mils or more to be safe).

You're wasting a lot of board space by not placing H1 and H2 side by side, you should try that ;)

Oh that's 2 oz, you're fine then ;)

NB: the standard is 1 oz, I hope you're not paying any extra for the 2 oz because in this case you should just go for 1 oz with bigger traces (20 mils / 0.50 mm will give only a 11 °C rise at 1.5 A so that would be fine but I'd put 25 mils or more to be safe).

Bam! 2A, .58 mm
byd_bms_header_v3.jpg

Bam! 2A, .58 mm
View attachment 8473
[/Q
Keep in mind, 24 AWG is good for 3.5 amps (0.20mm²). 0.58mm looks like can handle about 7 amps. (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html)

My ANT-BMS only does 0.200 amp. The BMS doesn't transfer current, it just shorts out the top cell with a small resistive load.

View attachment 8468View attachment 8469
Trying to accommodate 2 battery config's is not optimal. I may just end up making adjacent board layouts and snap it post build.
I also have an active balancer @5A.. this would be interesting to make a separate board for that with screw headers.
OK, I see 5 inputs and 1 output. Right?
Consider the 32pin the output, and everything else as an input.

The 12pin TE connects directly to the 10pin Molex.

The left 2 pins on the Molex are for the 24V Fan. The other 8 pins can be anything, I just made them 1-8 cells.
I like the JST-XH 9 pin headers.

If you skip using the Molex connector (that is where there randomness has happened), Then really you only need the 12pin TE and the 9 pin JST-XH headers, right?

Last edited:
OK, I see 5 inputs and 1 output. Right?
Consider the 32pin the output, and everything else as an input.

The 12pin TE connects directly to the 10pin Molex.

The left 2 pins on the Molex are for the 24V Fan. The other 8 pins can be anything, I just made them 1-8 cells.
I like the JST-XH 9 pin headers.

If you skip using the Molex connector (that is where there randomness has happened), Then really you only need the 12pin TE and the 9 pin JST-XH headers, right?

I see it the other way. 32p input to 5 outputs. One to the 12p TE header (presumably to connect to the molex for a “no cut”) and two pairs of JSTs (to account for the differing wiring in the 32p). During testing I want a bms on the modules and then wanted an option to connect another something. It’s a universal board that’s hopefully handy for others coming up this ramp.

I see it the other way. 32p input to 5 outputs. One to the 12p TE header (presumably to connect to the molex for a “no cut”) and two pairs of JSTs (to account for the differing wiring in the 32p). During testing I want a bms on the modules and then wanted an option to connect another something. It’s a universal board that’s hopefully handy for others coming up this ramp.
The only spot I had different wiring was on the 10 wire Molex. The 32p TE is the same on all 8 of my packs.

An awesome idea having another type of "something"... Maybe a high amp balancer!

The only spot I had different wiring was on the 10 wire Molex. The 32p TE is the same on all 8 of my packs.

An awesome idea having another type of "something"... Maybe a high amp balancer!

I want to get these two into the mix during setup. The left balancer can pull 5.5A. This won’t be going through the JST. The pack differential was < ~200mA so hopefully they will stay in that range.
image.jpg

Back