diy solar

diy solar

California NEM Contract Status After House Sold

LithiumGuy

Corralling Electrons
Can anyone confirm or have experience with a house that is sold in California that is actively on solar NEM 2.0 that the new home owners get to keep the NEM 2.0 contract going on the house? This would also apply to grandfathered NEM 1.0 if those are still around.

This is in anticipation of the nasty NEM 3.0's arrival. Listing a home with active NEM 2.0 solar contract would definitely be a plus for the home's sale in the upcoming punitive anti-solar NEM 3.0 era. Without NEM 2.0, you would be in best interest to remove the solar panels from the roof to avoid NEM 3.0 $80/mo solar fee. That's right, solar panels become a financial burden when NEM 3.0 arrives! :-(

I was researching old posts around 2015 timeframe when NEM 2.0 was going to come out and people were wondering if NEM 1.0 would stay with the house. I got answers on both sides but it seems possibly that the current NEM stays with the house regardless of owner and runs until its normal grandfathered time expires.

I don't think it is a problem with 3.0 yet. My parents bought a house with pre-existing solar. They just had two Tesla Powerwall 2's installed and now have to sign a new NEM agreement which is 2.0. The 8 page document is requesting a new rate ETOUC (time of use which they already had). My concern is that the current/old agreement has the medical baseline. Before she signs this new contract, she needs to ensure she has the medical baseline.

Back