diy solar

diy solar

Can I top balance a 72v pack in three 24v sections and really be balanced?

You should pass this information on to the manufacturers of millions of battery packs that have not been parallel top balanced.
Perhaps "proper" was not the best choice of words. I think it is an optimal way to top balance for DIYers but by no means the only way. Whatever the manufacturers do works for them and the purchasers of those batteries. They have the equipment to bin and match cells easily. Cells that are matched in capacity are inherently balanced at least in the beginning.

Perhaps "proper" was not the best choice of words. I think it is an optimal way to top balance for DIYers but by no means the only way. Whatever the manufacturers do works for them and the purchasers of those batteries. They have the equipment to bin and match cells easily. Cells that are matched in capacity are inherently balanced at least in the beginning.
I really don't think they match the way you think they do. They may verify cells are close to the ones before and after which should be very close because they were made in a batch, but switching between batches is where I see a potential problem. The cells we get are not always in order of production and thus can very. Capacity testing every cell is not possible in a production environment.

Also in the Loctite comment I don't think I would potentially limit my surface area for conductivity by 50%(this would limit the amp draw by half also). Do what you want, but I have seen hundreds of bad connections is my life and if their surface area were cut in half I bet I would see four times the amount.

Capacity testing every cell is not possible in a production environment.
Have you seen how they form the cells initially? My understanding from pictures is there are rows and rows of cells being charged and discharged as part of the "forming" of the cells. It can take days for big cells. The data from that process is how they are binned. How else would they maintain quality? It is my opinion that most of the Alibaba cells that we see come from the results of that binning process.
For those interested, Google "forming Lithium cells".

Last edited:
I don't think I would potentially limit my surface area for conductivity by 50%(this would limit the amp draw by half also).
As I mentioned earlier, the surface area with the least resistance is the terminal top. Far from limiting Amp draw, the resistance of the stainless stud and nut (Ohms law) will mean that most of the current will flow through the terminal top.

Food for thought. The reason to top balance is if your bank capacity is limited beyond your requirement due to a cell capacity imbalance. Bringing the cells to the same SOC will increase useable capacity before a cell reaches high voltage cutoff.

If your BMS isn’t capable of balancing more than the worst cells self discharge - your pack is not going to remain balanced no matter how perfectly you think it was balanced to begin with.

If your BMS is capable of balancing more than the worst cells self discharge, and your bank capacity is acceptable after initial assembly and series charge - the capacity will increase until the cells are balanced, and top balancing isn’t required.

All top balancing does is improve initial pack capacity after initial series charge if it isn’t acceptable.

If your BMS isn’t capable of exceeding self discharge imbalance - your system design needs looking at, not your top balance procedure.

I'm revisiting this because I saw a variable voltage DC charger on Amazon that will do up to 120 volts, which should theoretically meet my need to charge my 24S 78ah LiFePo4 pack. No ratings on it though. Can you take a look at it and let me know if you think I can use it for top balancing? thanks

I'm revisiting this because I saw a variable voltage DC charger on Amazon that will do up to 120 volts, which should theoretically meet my need to charge my 24S 78ah LiFePo4 pack. No ratings on it though. Can you take a look at it and let me know if you think I can use it for top balancing? thanks

That is a power supply. It will charge (at 3A), but has no end-of-charge circuitry.

I would just assemble and use an active balancer. Put them in service and let them balance as you go. Set the charging a bit low such as 80 volts and see what goes. If it looks good, bump the voltage 1 volt per day until you get where you need to be. Adjust as needed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003125644284.html

Otherwise it will take 3 to 7 days to do the top in parallel and then reassemble the cells again.

Back