diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

And the gullible idiots fall in line.. and there are a lot of gullible idiots.

I suspect that the number is close to that of those who bought into the "Russian collusion" baloney, a group that likely includes you, Brad, Leo, brb58 [aka Brad], and most others if not everyone else on the left. So you were right in that a person's beliefs tend to follow those coming from the political ideology they tend to support rather than from factual information. It's a human nature thing and we are all guilty of it at times.

It has gotten far worse since the US went tribal.

If you don't want to have a discussion about climate change, why are you even in this thread?

One possible cause is it's a ploy...

Social Media Thread-Jacking​

Thread-Jacking- someone interjecting in a discussion in order to divert it in a different direction

I can understand people wanting to divert the thread, after all, it's a tough conversation and quite a few are in denial that it's real.
But talking about off-topic items merely makes it harder for those interested in the topic to follow the topic. No one interested in the thread topic wants to wade through off-topic shit.

If you're a "nice" person, I ask you to not fall for this trap and just stop replying to attempts to derail the thread and actual discussion on the climate and what's going on in the world around us in regards to solutions and problems. Yes, it's fine to be a denier and give reasons for why you believe it to be a hoax.

EPA Proposes New Carbon Pollution Standards for Fossil Fuel-Fired Power Plants

On May 11th 2023, the EPA released a new plan, note this is "just" a plan at this point ad still has to survive all the court cases that are sure to be brought against it.

Current U.S. Goals
  • Reducing U.S. greenhouse gas emissions 50-52% below 2005 levels in 2030
  • Reaching 100% carbon pollution-free electricity by 2035
  • Achieving a net-zero emissions economy by 2050
Summary of the new rule
Existing coal-fired power plants would have to slash emissions by 90% by 2030 or commit to taking the plant out of service before 2040. For gas-fired plants, the larger, frequently operating facilities — known as “base load” plants — would be required to reduce emissions by 90% by 2035, or by 2038 if they’re adding hydrogen to the gas. (The rules are stricter for coal than for gas because coal creates more carbon dioxide and other pollutants when burned.) ref

Against:
Given the costs and technical challenges associated with CCS, it’s likely that many power plants would shut down rather than adopt the technology. Critics contend that this will increase the cost of electricity and reduce reliability.

For:
“We’re looking at a negligible impact on electricity prices,” Regan said in a press call that preceded the announcement, adding that average national prices are projected to be just 0.24% higher in 2035 over the expected baseline.

Editorial
It's a nice try by the EPA, but realistically we can't turn down power plants or allow them to fail until there are adequate replacement renewables exist. The fossil fuel companies know this, so will do what they can to prevent those investments.

Renewables are currently hamstrung by the FERC as fossil fuel plants are slower to turn down, so renewables get turned down first - which gives them preferential treatment. Congress ought to mandate the FERC to give free market reign (e.g., if the power generation can't turn down fast enough their rate must decrease to the lowest); that would effectively drive everything other than renewable out of business, capitalism at its best.

What do you think?

How to keep burning Fossil Fuels and Reduce Climate Change w/o CDR​

Nearly all hydrogen for industrial processes is produced today from fossil fuels. When we do it now we also emit CO2.

Suppose you could make hydrogen from fossil fuels without emitting the CO2? As we already process fossil fuels to remove environmentally bad things like sulfur, why not process it further and remove the carbon?

Loss of Energy
When you burn any hydrocarbon, a lot of the energy is from the hydrogen rather than the carbon. For example, of the 890.57 kilojoules per mole from burning methane, 572 are from hydrogen. Considering we already throw 78% of the energy away while turning it into electricity is it a big deal?

It's been done
Figured someone had to of thought of that, and a quick google search found a paper on the science from 1992.

Given natural gas is cheaper, I searched for and found more recent papers on converting it to hydrogen without producing GHGs:
It's not "renewable", so don't expect a lot of folks to endorse it. But it gets the job done and reduces change to our national infrastructure which increases stability. Seems like another tool for the toolbox to get us through the gap to net-zero by 2050.

What do you think?

Lightning?​

I live in the state with the most lightning strikes, so when
I see video claiming Climate Change is causing more lightning
it catches my eye.

But is it real?
1684155038551.png

The chart to the right does show an increase to 2014, but for nearly
the last decade the numbers have been fairly stable.

As atmospheric electricity is caused by lightning, it seemed like it
might be a good cross-check, but it's a more sensitive measurement
easily thrown off by air pollution. I saw some data online, but no
pre-prepared graphs for anything in the last decade.
essd-13-3219-2021-f02-thumb.png
Atmospheric electricty data from 1980 to 1990 indicating little to no change:

1684156659829.png

How to keep burning Fossil Fuels and Reduce Climate Change w/o CDR​

Nearly all hydrogen for industrial processes is produced today from fossil fuels. When we do it now we also emit CO2.

Suppose you could make hydrogen from fossil fuels without emitting the CO2? As we already process fossil fuels to remove environmentally bad things like sulfur, why not process it further and remove the carbon?

Loss of Energy
When you burn any hydrocarbon, a lot of the energy is from the hydrogen rather than the carbon. For example, of the 890.57 kilojoules per mole from burning methane, 572 are from hydrogen. Considering we already throw 78% of the energy away while turning it into electricity is it a big deal?

It's been done
Figured someone had to of thought of that, and a quick google search found a paper on the science from 1992.

Given natural gas is cheaper, I searched for and found more recent papers on converting it to hydrogen without producing GHGs:
It's not "renewable", so don't expect a lot of folks to endorse it. But it gets the job done and reduces change to our national infrastructure which increases stability. Seems like another tool for the toolbox to get us through the gap to net-zero by 2050.

What do you think?

I think we dig up coal here in the United States and send it to China.

I think we dig up coal here in the United States and send it to China.

We do (ref), but according to Wikipedia we ship them the "good" stuff for making high-quality steel and they burn their own local crappy coal for electricity.

Could we make hydrogen from coal? It would be nice as the U.S. is the "Saudi Arabia of coal".

Different types of coal have different amounts of hydrogen, but none have that much (ref):

Coal-rank-percentage-of-elementary-carbon-hydrogen-and-oxygen.png

But, there are processes where with the heat from burning the coal you can strip the hydrogen out of steam. Combined with carbon capture it could be another tool in the toolbag.

We do (ref), but according to Wikipedia we ship them the "good" stuff for making high-quality steel and they burn their own local crappy coal for electricity.

Could we make hydrogen from coal? It would be nice as the U.S. is the "Saudi Arabia of coal".

Different types of coal have different amounts of hydrogen, but none have that much (ref):

Coal-rank-percentage-of-elementary-carbon-hydrogen-and-oxygen.png

But, there are processes where with the heat from burning the coal you can strip the hydrogen out of steam. Combined with carbon capture it could be another tool in the toolbag.
Number of operational coal power plants worldwide as of July 2022, by country/territory.
CharacteristicNumber of power plants
China (Mainland)1,118
India285
United States225
Japan92

I suspect that the number is close to that of those who bought into the "Russian collusion" baloney, a group that likely includes you, Brad, Leo, brb58 [aka Brad], and most others if not everyone else on the left.
Your mentality is typical of the simple minded.. black and white, with us or against us..

Most people like you are not even capable of more complex rationalizations.

I was glad when they investigated him for the collusion, didn't know if they were going to find anything, but I'm of the opinion that every president and every elected congressional representative should be investigated thoroughly. And I have no problem with them investigating Biden.

What I do have a problem with, is when people like you, or CNN, FOX, etc, turn those investigations into accusations. When you use them as political posturing and claim the investigation as evidence itself of criminal activity.

An investigation is a tool to determine if criminal activity has occurred, it does not mean any criminal activity has occurred.

So you were right in that a person's beliefs tend to follow those coming from the political ideology they tend to support rather than from factual information. It's a human nature thing and we are all guilty of it at times.

It has gotten far worse since the US went tribal.
While you are correct, I don't have irrational beliefs and I don't subscribe to either political party. But people like you, as shown above, can't stand that kind of "lack of ideology". With us or against us, black or white... pick a side. Very typical..

"This report from the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) and the Global Energy Monitor (GEM) takes a closer look at China’s permitting of new coal power plants in 2022, the possible implications for China’s climate commitments, and provides policy recommendations.

Coal power plant permitting, construction starts and new project announcements accelerated dramatically in China in 2022, with new permits reaching the highest level since 2015. The coal power capacity starting construction in China was six times as large as that in all of the rest of the world combined."

Back