diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar & Wind Fix Everything (e.g., Climate Change) with a battery break-through?

Just so you're aware... there's nothing in the article you cite that says prices are going up from renewables. So once again, another reference that backfires.

How does it backfire? Please enlighten us. EU doesnt have enough energy to keep their people warm at reasonable prices!
Price is going up because they lack traditional sources and renewables cant fulfill the demand.

How does it backfire? Please enlighten us. EU doesnt have enough energy to keep their people warm at reasonable prices!
How do you define "reasonable prices" ?

Price is going up because they lack traditional sources and renewables cant fulfill the demand.
They do lack traditional sources.... they were depending on Russia becoming a part of the world economy and behaving, which didn't age well as they say. It was a mistake on their part, so now, their citizens are going to have to turn down the thermostats into the lower 60's instead of walking around their homes in t-shirts and shorts with the thermostat turned up in the 70's. Cry me a river... I keep my own house at 62 degrees in the winter and I'm certainly not short on money.

Europe will be fine.. stop watching the pro-russian news sources.

Even more idiocy - Heat pumps in cold climates (Because "climate change" lol). I noticed Norway is a heavy user of them because of what used to be cheap electricity but it seems Norwegians are on their track to freeze in winter (or do this https://www.wired.com/story/eu-forests-energy-crisis/ Love the last part where "experts" suggest using unicorn farts as a solution to energy crisis! haha)

Search any HVAC forum, and you will quickly learn that this is indeed the case.
Any my own personal experience in hotel stays that have heat pumps - the damn things have to regenerate every hour pumping cold air when you are trying to get warm. I guess all good if you like 16C in your house in winter lol.

Last edited:
Even more idiocy - Heat pumps in cold climates (Because "climate change" lol). I noticed Norway is a heavy user of them because of what used to be cheap electricity but it seems Norwegians are on their track to freeze in winter (or do this https://www.wired.com/story/eu-forests-energy-crisis/ Love the last part where "experts" suggest using unicorn farts as a solution to energy crisis! haha)

Search any HVAC forum, and you will quickly learn that this is indeed the case.
Any my own personal experience in hotel stays that have heat pumps - the damn things have to regenerate every hour pumping cold air when you are trying to get warm. I guess all good if you like 16C in your house in winter lol.
Depends on what kind of heat pump.

Heat pumps which use ambient air to exchange heat (think Mini-Splits) are a bit problematic when the temps drop below 32 degreesF because the coils can freeze up.. Actually, I think the magic number is at 25 degrees F.

But heat pumps which use ground loops are another story, they can function down to -40 and -60 or more.. Even during the deep freeze here in Michigan, natural gas can have problems when outdoor regulators freeze up.

The only truly reliable source of heat in extremely cold temperatures is a wood stove.

You should figure out what you're blabbling about before blabbing and making yourself look ridiculous.

Looks like there is hope for EU after all

And thats coming from the globalist mouthpiece, the Telegraph!
The House of Representatives is the lower house of the bicameral parliament of the Netherlands, has 150 seats, which are filled through elections using party-list proportional representation. It looks like BBB got 15 of those seats, 10% of the total.

Despite it's relatively small size and in part thanks to hundreds of millions of euros in European agricultural subsidies, the Netherlands is a major exporter of agricultural products. The farmers don't want to reduce output and they produce so much manure (shit) that they can't use it all on the land. They are drying it before shipping it to Africa as a natural fertilizer.

The UK government needs to “take command” of local food production, the deputy president of the National Farmers’ Union (NFU) said on Saturday, warning that an ongoing shortage of fruit and vegetables across the country could be just the “tip of the iceberg.”
According to Tom Bradshaw, the deficit of some fruits and vegetables, including tomatoes and cucumbers, has been caused by volatility arising from geopolitical events and climate change, which is putting intense pressure on supply chains.
“What we saw last summer with 40°C heat is climate change in action,” Bradshaw told Times Radio, adding that the weather had exacerbated a supply-chain crisis triggered by the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
Nothing screams stupid quite like tasking the arsonists with the job of putting out the inferno they just started.
And of course, it’s not enough to champion communism. Nope, they’ve gotta throw in the climate hysteria in the mix.
Ah yes, that big red herring climate change.

Change always comes with some discomfort and the switch to renewables
will be no exception.
I'm not so sure it will come with a lot of discomfort.

Using my amazing artistic skills I've put battery LCOE prices over an LCOE
table (not responsible for any vomiting that may occur).

In 2021 LFP was reported by NREL to be around $131/kWh for utility
scale. From the CATL data above, this year it should be about $77 this
year so the costs should roughly be half the current LCOE.
The DOE predicts it'll be $58 by 2030, which seems conservative.
1678997844170.png

Not shown in the table, but with the cost of gas going up, it's LCOE is up around 81 now. Solar and wind won't change much, they're about 45/46. So, the delta today between renewable and gas is 81-46 = 35, so if battery LCOEs were $35 we'd organically switch as it would be cheaper.

Currently, there's a crunch in lithium supply that caused the 2022 prices to go up, so in 2022 solar+batteries would be $180+45 = $225. That is just a little more expensive than nuclear.

With sodium batteries it goes to 46+75=121, so it becomes cheaper than coal or nuclear. The joker is the price of natural gas and what happens to natural gas subsidies, if the price of natural gas goes up quickly then solar with batteries will come faster. Natural gas was over 100 before fracking and it's very likely to tick back up in that direction.

You can see any increases are at best fractional and not 5x or magnitude changes.

Most of the current plans recognize we don't need actually need a lot of batteries today, that is we can ramp gas plants up/down as needed to backfill intermittency until battery prices fall more.

Update: I was digging more into the LCOEs for the battery prices and learned that it was based on a 4-hr time frame, probably for peaker plant replacement as they're very expensive. But, I don't believe that's enough storage...so take what's here with a grain of salt...will come back to it if I can find more data on it.

Last edited:
@svetz More could be, would be, maybe.

In the meantime:

To understand what is really happening here, we have to look past the low-level green energy propaganda that is meant for the fluoride-addled normies to lap up and look to the higher-level propaganda that is intended to bring the New World Order middle management up to speed on the new power paradigm. As usual, there's no better place to turn for precisely that type of propaganda than the pages of Foreign Affairs, the journal of the Council on Foreign Relations. In a recent article on "The Green Upheaval," they plainly admit what the green energy push is really about: "Talk of a smooth transition to clean energy is fanciful: there is no way that the world can avoid major upheavals as it remakes the entire energy system, which is the lifeblood of the global economy and underpins the geopolitical order."

No, the green energy transition is not going to be a happy clappy cakewalk into a fantasy future, as the activists promise. And that particular rainbow will not lead to a multi-trillion-dollar pot of gold, as the Oxfordians promise. What it will do is radically upend the lives and livelihoods of every person on the planet by taking away the one thing that has done more than anything else in all of human history to empower the population to proclaim their independence from the oligarchs: access to cheap energy.

Your reference doesn't seem to be in sync with your message that climate change is a hoax ... the article clearly says:

These are not arguments to slow or abandon the energy transition. On the contrary, countries around the world must accelerate efforts to combat climate change.

As to how easy or hard it is to transition, it's a lot harder with people still thinking it's fake. The article also doesn't support in any way your claims that the Norwegian price hike is from renewables.

Last edited:
Just as there are climate deniers, there are also people that are quite hysterical about climate change and also impossible to reason with.
Of course, I have not seen any here and these are the kind of terms that are open to individual interpretation.

Your reference doesn't seem to be in sync with your message that climate change is a hoax ... the article clearly says:

As to how easy or hard it is to transition, it's a lot harder with people still thinking it's fake. The article also doesn't support in any way your claims that the Norwegian price hike is from renewables.

That was not the target remark.

You made a remark that "green transition" is going to be easy.
I linked an article from the horses mouth stating that it will basically turn society upside down, in other words they are not even denying it themselves - stating it out right.

The rest of the points stand - there is absolutely no climate emergency. The entire thing is entirely made up by special interest to gain total control over the rest of the populace. The whole thing is based on flawed models, and most of corporate sponsored "science" has completely discredited itself, especially in the last 3 years. Carbon is not a pollutant but was chosen for the "Carbon Credit" system to enrich special interest while lowering everyone elses standard of living. Carbon Credits is a whole separate subject, but just like Anthropogenic Climate change is scam, one of the biggest ever created.

What's worse, is that environmental impact of all this "green tech" is outright catastrophic.

So, to answer the question of the thread of Can Wind and Solar fix everything if battery tech improves - the answer is a very clear and resounding NO.

We do not currently have the technology to make Solar (and even more so Wind) to offset even a tiny portion of energy generated by traditional means (nuclear/gas/oil/coal and i will group hydro here as well since the topic is on Solar and Wind).

Can this technology be developed in the future? Only God knows. When? Only God knows.

In the meantime it is lunacy to force renewables on society, which will send this society hundreds of years back due to insufficient energy. Can Solar complement existing tech in niche scenarios? Absolutely, 100% yes. Should it be subsidized in any way? Absolutely no. It should stand on its own merit.

The same lunacy is the push of EV's which are also completely and totally unsustainable with current battery tech and current grid and power generation capacity. Do EVs have their niche place? yes, absolutely 100% yes, but they should not be subsidized in any way. They, like renewables, should stand on their own, in a free market.

Here is a recap:

Last edited:
Here is a recap:

Lifepowered.org is owned by the Texas Public Policy Foundation. Their (non secretive) purpose is to support oil and reject renewables.
Referencing a website that promotes fossil fuels on issues of renewable energy is about as f*ing stupid as one can get.

Nationalreview is also a website pushing conservative agendas and is also tied to fossil fuels. Once again, anyone posting links in a green energy discussion to such as source has the IQ of a dog.

The Instituteforenergyresearch.org was started by non other than Charles Koch you idiot. What the f*ck is wrong with you? Seriously, are you really that ignorant?
There you go again with that fake information website. And yes, I did check it and it took me less than a minute to find the fraud and misinformation.

We already busted that one. You are now recycling links.. are you that desperate?

Holy Crap Batman.. you actually posted a link that AGREES what what we're telling you. Seriously? That's comical.. you don't even read the garbage you post, you just read the headlines.

And this link confirms the arguments we've been making against your fake information. Kind of confused on this one.. why would you post links that show how wrong you've been?

And there you go again with your conspiracy mental illness stuff.

Please get help.. seriously.

Back