diy solar

diy solar

CATL 280AH 6000 cycles QR code location

nhanus09

I bought some CATL 280AH cells from DOCAN and I noticed the QR codes were not near the vent as shown in the spec sheet. I tried looking online for the proper location but finding mixed results. The cells look brand new and DOCAN us a reputable seller as far as I know and I paid a fair / not cheap price for these so I'm having a hard time thinking these are fake but it's quite concerning as I bought a lot. The original ad from DOCAN also shows the sticker in the same location as the ones I received. I must have not noticed.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221114_094225_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20221114_094225_Messenger.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 33
  • received_425401472972920.jpeg
    received_425401472972920.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221114_101105.jpg
    20221114_101105.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221114_092111.jpg
    20221114_092111.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 41
I bought some CATL 280AH cells from DOCAN and I noticed the QR codes were not near the vent as shown in the spec sheet. I tried looking online for the proper location but finding mixed results. The cells look brand new and DOCAN us a reputable seller as far as I know and I paid a fair / not cheap price for these so I'm having a hard time thinking these are fake but it's quite concerning as I bought a lot. The original ad from DOCAN also shows the sticker in the same location as the ones I received. I must have not noticed.

Thanks
I'm testing the cells now. I mean they look great and according to another thread these just aren't grade A cells but for solar its ok.. so mostly dissapointed about the seller.

Attachments

• 20221114_121440.jpg
    20221114_121440.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 17
I got the same cells with same QR code and everything. I got those from Basen green. Working well so far and its been 2.5 months. 16 cells stay in balance.
Please post your capacity test results

If they test well, I wouldn't worry at all.
Capacity is all that matters.
? Its reasoning like this the companies keep getting away with this because we the buyers refuse to hold them accountable. They should advertise them as grade B the sameway 1860batterystore, currentconnected, and a number of other online sellers are doing now.

? Its reasoning like this the companies keep getting away with this because we the buyers refuse to hold them accountable. They should advertise them as grade B the sameway 1860batterystore, currentconnected, and a number of other online sellers are doing now.

“1.This is CATL 3.2V 280h/290Ah, Only Top Grade, Brande new unused, the discharge capacity of each cell around 285-299Ah”

No where does it say these CATL cells are Grade A, anyone who wants to assume otherwise . . .

If they test well, I wouldn't worry at all.
Capacity is all that matters.

And internal resistance!

If all cells are showing 280-290Ah capacity, but 15 of them have IR of 0.17mOhm and the last one is 1mOhm then it will drag all cells down.

What matters is what usable capacity (and for how long) you get for the money you paid. If you pay twice and get the same usable capacity then what? Does it matter that you got certified grade A cells?

Last edited:
Its reasoning like this the companies keep getting away with this because we the buyers refuse to hold them accountable.
When I bought my cells two years ago I was buying capacity at less than $125 per kWh. Years earlier I had paid close to $300 per kWh for cells that I knew were Automotive Grade cells. It all depends on where you are standing.

What are they getting away with?
If you believe that you can get EV grade cells for that price. You haven't done your research. And that's on you.

And internal resistance!

If all cells are showing 280-290Ah capacity, but 15 of them have IR of 0.17mOhm and the last one is 1mOhm then it will drag all cells down.

What matters is what usable capacity (and for how long) you get for the money you paid. If you pay twice and get the same usable capacity then what? Does it matter that you got certified grade A cells?
Usable capacity is what you are testing for.

Ok so I tested the first cell and it came in at 299AH from a 280AH rated CATL cell (see image below) 3.65v to 2.5v run time 7h28m @ 40A CC .14c

- So some are saying only capacity matters
- Some say why docan does not advertise grade A on their site
- Docan says they are grade A "don't worry"
- Docan says CATL puts the qr codes in that location before they ship to Docan and that they do that so they know which wholesaler sold them for RMA / responsible party reasons...

I want to get to the bottom of this just as much as anyone if not more. I'm hell bent on it lol. For me it's just a matter of truth in advertising right.. no one wants to feel like they got scammed especially when you have a lot invested..

So my question is if we can't simply go on capacity tests.. how can we prove it is in fact grade A and will last 6k cycles even 4k cycles would be acceptable for me... Is it that they have a lower C rate and thus only good for solar.. if so.. that's ok... depending on how many amps you need to pull etc.. I have asked Andy at off grid garage and he said the following..

"Hi Nathaniel,

yeah, this would ring my alarm bells as well. I would do some random capacity tests and if they come back OK, I would not worry too much about it. Do they scan OK and give valid information?

Cheers,
Andy"

I will attempt to call the manufacturer in china and ask them why they put the qr codes on the side near the edge. My wife is Chinese and my inlaws are from a province near Shenzhen.. if there are questions you want asked lmk.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20221115_005946.jpg
    20221115_005946.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221115_005957.jpg
    20221115_005957.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221115_085432.jpg
    20221115_085432.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: RJR
You are basically saying everything in China is a lie until proven otherwiase.
I also saying that you need to do your research. Caveat Emptor is not a new concept. I do not know if they are lying or what the words"top quality" zctually means. I see many vendors advertise themselves as "the leader", whatever that means? As I mentioned, I made my decision based on the value I placed on getting the capacity that was easy to quantify and measure. The automotive grade cells I purchased for more than twice the price per kWh had greater discharge and charge rates and that was more important in an EV conversion. My purchase two years ago was for storage and capacity was all I cared about. I agree with the other poster that Internal Resistance is another quanifiable metric but I had an inexpensive tester and got mixed results so I was not able to test that reliably. In two years the cells have performed well.

You are basically saying everything in China is a lie until proven otherwise.
Not just China.
Creative advertising is a worldwide problem.
Which is what calling cells grade A or B is. Just a marketing gimmick. These cells are manufactured for EV's. If they pass the manufacturers testing, they are sold to EV manufacturers. If they fail, they are sold to resellers for other uses. Like storage batteries for solar systems.

Ok so I tested the first cell and it came in at 299AH from a 280AH rated CATL cell (see image below) 3.65v to 2.5v run time 7h28m @ 40A CC .14c

This is good news! Especially when I'm also waiting for 48 CATL 280Ah cells from Docan :).

This is good news! Especially when I'm also waiting for 48 CATL 280Ah cells from Docan :).
Yea especially if you are going for 48v. If you pulled even 200A @ 48v you would really be pulling a big load.. distribute that across 2 or 3x 48v packs.. very low C rate per pack..

- Docan says CATL puts the qr codes in that location before they ship to Docan and that they do that so they know which wholesaler sold them for RMA / responsible party reasons...

I want to get to the bottom of this just as much as anyone if not more. I'm hell bent on it lol. For me it's just a matter of truth in advertising right.. no one wants to feel like they got scammed especially when you have a lot invested..

So my question is if we can't simply go on capacity tests.. how can we prove it is in fact grade A and will last 6k cycles even 4k cycles would be acceptable for me... Is it that they have a lower C rate and thus only good for solar.. if so.. that's ok... depending on how many amps you need to pull etc.. I have asked Andy at off grid garage and he said the following..

"Hi Nathaniel,

yeah, this would ring my alarm bells as well. I would do some random capacity tests and if they come back OK, I would not worry too much about it. Do they scan OK and give valid information?

Cheers,
Andy"

I will attempt to call the manufacturer in china and ask them why they put the qr codes on the side near the edge. My wife is Chinese and my inlaws are from a province near Shenzhen.. if there are questions you want asked lmk.

Thanks everyone.

That's pretty good, what was the WH ratings for the cell the zke shows them as Energy.

"Hi Nathaniel,

Cheers,
Andy"

Thanks everyone.

Hey right click and save the csv data and also save the picture of the curve & data put in a zip file and upload it.

Tks

diy solar

diy solar
Back