diy solar

diy solar

CED Greentech aka Greentech Renewables

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
In 2020 I purchased four Mission Solar 320 watt panels over the phone, showed up 30 minutes later with my pickup and was gone five minutes after that. They loaded the panels into my truck on a pallet. It was a very easy transaction. I paid less - for the same panels - than another local vendor wanted to charge.

I've called them a couple times since the initial purchase to get more panels but they are stocking the larger size panels, more for commercial implementation than DIY RV implementation. They have always been friendly and helpful. Their website covers what they sell throughout the entire network, but doesn't represent what the local office has in stock. You have to give them a call to see what they really have.

CEDGreenTech.com or GreentechRenewables.com

Last edited:
In 2020 I purchased four Mission Solar 320 watt panels over the phone, showed up 30 minutes later with my pickup and was gone five minutes after that. They loaded the panels into my truck on a pallet. It was a very easy transaction. I paid less - for the same panels - than another local vendor wanted to charge.

I've called them a couple times since the initial purchase to get more panels but they are stocking the larger size panels, more for commercial implementation than DIY RV implementation. They have always been friendly and helpful. Their website covers what they sell throughout the entire network, but doesn't represent what the local office has in stock. You have to give them a call to see what they really have.

CEDGreenTech.com
And I just found they have a location close to me! Nice, thanks for that info.

Recently I was told they won't sell to me. They ignored my web inquiries twice before that. When I first called them in 2020, the told me it's unlikely they will be assisting me any time soon. What the heck? This is the Seattle branch. I just want to buy some Iron Ridge XR10 rails and some Lynx
standing seam clamps. Simple right? How do you all fare so well?

Just got an email from them telling me how they changed their name... goody, I'm sure that will help.

Lee Keetle
12kw Trina bifacial panels (unmounted)
Outback Skybox (getting dusty in the corner)
3kw PWM hot water heater controller

How do you all fare so well?
I only expect that they will take orders. On a big order I gave them a list that they quoted. Sometimes I will call smaller items if I know they are stocked. They are an organization that typically sells to the trade and are not equipped to offer the kind of service to DIYers that others do. The prices reflect that. I have experienced the same thing at plumbing and electrical supply houses.

Yes, I see the name change. The URL I provided redirects to the new site.

I never tried to contact them through email or the site. It was always a phone call.

Many of us DIY'ers are small potatoes. My local office didn't care that I wanted only four panels.

EDIT: I updated the title of the thread for clarity and added the direct URL.

Last edited:
Agreed, that's why I tried to give them my parts list. Still a fail. I got the impression they won't sell me Iron Ridge because of supply constraints, but they certainly didn't want to continue the conversation or offer alternatives.
Their new logo even says, "going beyond supply" ...but not too far beyond ?
Lee

My experience was fifteen months ago and I started out with a $5,000 order. If their are supply constraints that could easily affect their willingness to deal with DIYers.

I got several replies that same day, probably has something to do with the fact I emailed them from my companies email, and we do architectural metal and glass building construction on multistory buildings in NYC, some of which have solar capability. I am guessing they see it as a marketing lead. I did get the impression (from the local store site) that they were more interested in selling complete kits to installers, but he did say they had a walk in showroom. I may stop by next week just to see the operation, solar is rare here even though every other house has panels up. There is no "used panel" suppliers closer than 1200 miles (GA), so I am trying to avoid shipping and will pick up myself if within a few hrs driving. (There is supposedly a supplier 5 hrs away in VT but they never respond to my repeated inquiries.

There are some supply houses that won't sell you anything if you aren't licensed. You can't even walk in and buy a bag of tie wraps. I think sometimes it's a state licensing issue, but we have bumped into it in very strong union towns.

We're licensed to work in Missouri and used to work in Arkansas. It had been years since we worked there and got a call from an old customer, so we went to visit them. We had to go to a supply house that we used to frequent to get something (it's been so long ago I don't recall what) and they pointed to "must have a state license" sign taped to their counter and not so politely kicked us out. Haven't been back since but we're covered up close to home so it doesn't matter.

If you need a whole pallet of panels....get a quote, pay them with credit card or ACH, pull truck or van up, loaded in 5 minutes with the proper 8' forks and down the road you go. Don't bother if you want less than that. I understand. Time, energy, beginner questions, liability, warranty issues and diy'ers take time away from your real bread n butter.

one time I walked into a CED Greentech (name at the time) as a nobody DIYer and bought a spool of uv resistant stranded 10awg wire like 50-100ft and a few dozen MC4 connectors. they seemed somewhat uninterested in answering lots of questions, but sold to me as a walk in without pain.

that one was in LA. never tried to purchase solar panels from them; just sharing to add to the picture

Along with another wholesaler, I have gone into CED with my electrician's letterhead and an inventory of what is needed. Said that he wasn't willing to take 3 hours out of billable time to come in. No issues.

No, it wasn't really his letterhead, but it had his logo and phone number on it, and I talked to him beforehand.

I just purchased a pallet of REC 365w panels. They didn’t have them in stock at the Bend Oregon location so I had to drive to Milwaukee Oregon. No big deal for me. Saved me a ton of money in shipping.

I’ve had good experiences with walking in. One order was $800 and the other $11. This was in Columbus Ohio. I think your MMV based on inventory and personal. They did make it clear that they only sold to the pubic items without any inventory/manufacturing constraints.

I’ve had good experiences with walking in. One order was $800 and the other $11. This was in Columbus Ohio. I think your MMV based on inventory and personal. They did make it clear that they only sold to the pubic items without any inventory/manufacturing constraints.
I have also had good experience with my local facility. I usually go in with a list or email them if my list is large to give them tim to check stock and get the order ready. I also do my product research online. They are often very busy and I try to be respectful of their time at the counter.

I picked up 4 panels from them recently too. The pick up experience was fine. Price was good too.

I wish they displayed local inventory and pricing online. I had to call and ask. I had picked out 3 or 4 panels they listed online, but each one was out of stock locally. I finally gave up and asked them to email the panels they actually had in stock locally that fit my general requirements. It was frustrating as not a single one of those panels showed up online.

I picked up 4 panels from them recently too. The pick up experience was fine. Price was good too.

I wish they displayed local inventory and pricing online. I had to call and ask. I had picked out 3 or 4 panels they listed online, but each one was out of stock locally. I finally gave up and asked them to email the panels they actually had in stock locally that fit my general requirements. It was frustrating as not a single one of those panels showed up online.

Yeah, that's frustrating. You try to make a plan and actually save them and you some time and it doesn't work out.

Back