diy solar

diy solar

Louisiana Contractor Requirement vs Upgradable System

seabuoy

Here's the TLDR: Louisiana has a law that any solar power system over $10,000 has to be installed by a licensed solar contractor. Contractors are expensive and I've got a lot of skills of my own. I want to build a very upgradable, starter system with 6kw of solar, that new EG4 6kw split phase hybrid inverter, and a single EG4 LL battery. I should be able to do that along with an Iron Ridge rack and still have some additional money for an electrician to do some final hookups etc and be under $10k.

I'll use this as a back up (we already have a generator transfer switch installed) and maybe add more batteries after this first phase has signed off and inspected permits. Later, I'll upgrade the inverter, add more panels, add more batteries, etc. Basically, building the system $10k at a time to stay within constraints but eventually get up to the 14-16kw system with 60kwh of batteries that'll let me survive the days of downtime a hurricane can cause.

Here's a bit more information for those interested:
I live in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, right outside of New Orleans. We just built our house and moved in back in March. After dealing with them for the build, I know our local permit office can be fairly strict. I called them to see how much of a solar system I can do myself versus what I need a licensed electrician, etc. I was at first told I can't do anything, even the rack install, myself. I need to have a set of engineered plans put together to prove it will handle wind loads and won't collapse my roof. "Easy enough", I told the guy there's plenty of websites out there that will do that work and, since I just built the house, I have plans they can work from. He said even with that, the state says you can't do the work yourself.

So I went to the state laws and, sure enough, there's a law that says any solar job over $10,000 has to be done by a licensed solar installer. That's different than what my local inspector was telling me. Since I eventually want a 12kw or bigger system, there's no way I'm going to be able to do this in one shot. This means I need to stay under $10k for each "upgrade" I do to the system. Even at that, I don't know if they will come back and say I can't upgrade the system because the entire system will be more than $10k. It's a gamble but I really want to get the ball rolling on *something*.

Being a state heavily invested in fossil fuels, they aren't exactly "friendly" to solar. Sure, folks have it, but the regulations don't make it cheap or easy.

I'm looking for any advice to get me where I want to go before I head down a path that could be impossible or really expensive to come back from.

Maybe keep your eye out for solar systems in your area that may have been DIY and talk to them about their experience? Do you have good relations with your neighbors?

Batteries are expensive. How about using a batteries-optional inverter for PV only, either net metering or zero backfeed. You can probably get an inverter in the $1500 to $2500 price range, and used or overstock new panels from Santan (or other liquidators), ~ 0.20/W or ~ 0.50/W

What you later do outside the view of prying eyes ...

Besides, that was the "solar power system". If you add a UPS later ...
My system is Sunny Boy, and battery backup is separate Sunny island.

I haven't heard of this law ... so off to do some searching.

Maybe, build the battery backup first? Add the solar power system later.

I haven't heard of this law ... so off to do some searching.

Maybe, build the battery backup first? Add the solar power system later.
Here's a link to a PDF about the law: https://lslbc.louisiana.gov/wp-content/uploads/cib/cib_com_solar.pdf
And here's a link to the actual law on Justia: https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2021/revised-statutes/title-37/rs-2156-3/

It's that paragraph D that will get you.

If I were further out of the parish, I'd probably just do it anyway but I'm literally right in the middle of Marrero on a well traveled street.

Batteries are expensive. How about using a batteries-optional inverter for PV only, either net metering or zero backfeed. You can probably get an inverter in the $1500 to $2500 price range, and used or overstock new panels from Santan (or other liquidators), ~ 0.20/W or ~ 0.50/W

What you later do outside the view of prying eyes ...

Besides, that was the "solar power system". If you add a UPS later ...
My system is Sunny Boy, and battery backup is separate Sunny island.
The new EG4 6kw split phase is only $1399 and includes all the breakers and disconnects. (https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-6000xp-off-grid-inverter-split-phase/) I'm figuring another $1500 for the rack, $1500 for a battery, plus getting the plans drawn up, various wires, connectors, and remote shutdown should get me up to ~$8,500. That leaves $1500 for my electrician to "officially" hook it up to the transfer switch, set me a few outlets on the wall, and handle the permitting. That should get me the major components I'd need.

If a full rack of batteries just so happens to show up in the garage after that... Well... It just shows up...

Here's a link to a PDF about the law: https://lslbc.louisiana.gov/wp-content/uploads/cib/cib_com_solar.pdf
And here's a link to the actual law on Justia: https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2021/revised-statutes/title-37/rs-2156-3/

It's that paragraph D that will get you.

If I were further out of the parish, I'd probably just do it anyway but I'm literally right in the middle of Marrero on a well traveled street.
Paragraph F of the law section seems to indicate the section only applies to entities in the solar business, and explicitly excludes home owners, (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer)

"including labor, materials, rentals, and all direct and indirect project expenses, of ten thousand dollars or more"
Darn those fuckers have got you all ways.
Well you know most of these inverters will run without a battery so just do your panels and inverter and then sneak the battery's in under the cover of darkness.

Paragraph F of the law section seems to indicate the section only applies to entities in the solar business, and explicitly excludes home owners, (Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer)
I side with pvgirl on this one, doesn't seem to apply to homeowners doing self install. This looks like a way to allow regular electrical contractors to do systems under $10,000.. but big boy systems over $10,000 require extra permitting / license fees to be paid to the state to become a solar contractor.

Great if it does cut homeowners some slack!

Research your equipment selection carefully before committing. Performance, functionality, support, warranty vary.

Net metering can be particularly useful if you have surplus in summer, deficit in winter. Availability and terms vary with location. Equipment has to meet certain requirements.

That is how I read it too. Also not a lawyer (though I did have to take a communication law class, and I slept in a Holiday Inn once.)

So, my understanding is if you get paid to install larger than $10,000 solar systems you have to be licensed by the state. Homeowner can do their own work. I could ask an attorney but all of the ones I know charge me for 15 - 30 minutes to answer an email.

Several years back, I installed my own system in Louisiana. The local permit office was fairly easy on me, but Entergy (the grid utility), had me jump through several hoops, eventually sending a couple engineers out before they would bring their power to my house. They were really nice and liked my set up - so no problems. I recently added another array and SCC, but since the original approved grid tie inverter/net meter was not to be altered, and since I was approved for the first install, I did not bother anyone about the addition.

Last edited:
Oh wow...Im so glad you posted this thread as Im also located in the Fossil Fuel friendly confines of Jefferson Parish in Metairie.

Ive been contemplating how to get this done without the BS 10k+ Solar installer overhead. That installation fee alone makes Solar financially unfeasible here in NOLA (I guess by design right?). I've been in the Electronics/Tech field my entire career and have been studying my balls off on how to accomplish this and feel very confident I can complete this project myself to meet the current Building code.

Going Sly Grid-Tie (zero export of course) has certainly crossed my mind and I could install 12kW of Solar panels on the rear of my home, which would be barely visible from the street.

That said, I would much prefer to do it with the blesssing of our lovely AHJ and not have to worry about any BS in the future.

As other have mentioned and from what ive read from the Jefferson Parish Residential Permitting Requirements page.

Property owner (for his/her personal residence) or his/her contractor may apply for and obtain building permit. •
- Owner obtaining permit must submit Affidavit Claiming Exemption from Licensure (Form available at Permit Office)

Although, as someone above mentioned, I think the real challenge will be getting Entergy's approval.

Keep us updated on how this goes.

And thanks for digging up that documentation regarding the Louisiana Solar specifics. Im about 3-6 months from pulling the trigger on that same EG4-6000XP and a 6kwh system with battery to start as well.

Last edited:
Nice thanks!!

By the way, are you in Jefferson or Orleans Parish?

From what I understand, there's a big difference in the laws and regulations between the 2 parishes. Mainly Entergy being 2 different entities (Entergy-Louisiana vs Entergy New Orleans) with Entergy-Orleans being much more Solar friendly (as long as you live outside historical preservation areas) and Entergy-Louisiana (rest of Louisiana and NOLA metro area) not so much.

Last edited:
Do a totally off grid system, even if it only covers your biggest consumer of power, it will reduce your bill a lot.
I did this with my HVAC compressor only to start, as that is 50-80% of my consumption.

Back