diy solar

diy solar

Louisiana Contractor Requirement vs Upgradable System

We should keep in touch. I'd imagine we could help each other out...
Oh yea definitely....I was thinking the same. I think it would be very beneficial to the both of us considering we would be both dealing with the same AHJ.

Check your PMs

I’m definitely going to look into the laws posted I’m a notary public and my sister is an attorney and I will ask her advice on the subject… FYI I’m going off grid living in New Orleans

Just curious if you have any updates regarding your attorney friend?

I installed a system my self, in Louisiana. I am grid tied getting .062 cents per KWH. Entergy is your first go to if you want a grid tie system. I also hired an engineering group to draw the plans for the permit. I think the cost was $1000 at the time, may be less. In my parish, if I wanted to do a system that was not grid tied, no permit was necessary. I have not heard of that limitation on system size. My suggestion is to follow your local ( Jefferson Parish) building code, submit the items for your permit as required, and start the install.
Here is the link to net metering information. https://www.entergy-louisiana.com/net-metering/

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I installed a system my self, in Louisiana. I am grid tied getting .062 cents per KWH. Entergy is your first go to if you want a grid tie system. In my parish, if I wanted to do a system that was not grid tied, no permit necessary. I have not heard of that limitation on system size. My suggestion is to follow your local ( Jefferson Parish) building code. Submit the items for your permit as required and move on. The less information the better.
Good Luck.
Thanks for the info!

BTW....Ive got some questions regarding Entergy-Louisiana billing as its very difficult to breakdown their billing/export fees and believe the very generous ROI im seeing in Opensolar's calculator for Entergy.

Im glad to see someone confirming the 0.062/kwh export. But how does that make sense when the price per kwh is technically around 0.05/kwh. But when I look at my actual bill and do a simple "how much I owe divided by my kwh used" calculation, I get about 0.13/kwh.

According to Entergy below.

Residential Energy Price

Sample Bill Calculation

I guess where im getting at is, according to Opensolar, Ill have a very quick ROI on that 0.062 export fee. I almost barely need a battery to offset my monthly bill (I was under the impression LA is horrible with Net Metering). Is it cuz, for some reason, the export fee this year is abnormally higher than previous years? Or maybe Opensolar has something wrong.

What size system do you have? Any batteries? What is/was your ROI?

EDIT: Nevermind, Opensolar calcs were wrong. Contacted support, submitted my actual bill and they fixed it.

Last edited:
Back