diy solar

diy solar

Cell prices coming down

see post from @42OhmsPA buys 17 cells not 16. cull the weakest one?

17 cells - so one can be spare? {or do you build 17s packs?}
Currently for spares but I'm really considering going to 17s. I'll have enough packs, after the next upgrade, that taking one offline won't have much impact.
Extra capacity, reduced currents; seems like a win win

I thought the cells would be better than than what I ended up with. Don't get me wrong, they work well in the bank, those few Ah's at the very top I'm not interested in anyway. At the bottom, those cells actually hold up well. If one checked capacity, those cells would pass. It just leads to an imbalance between cells I don't care for and the Batrium burns off more watts as heat trying to balance.

The 18650 cells all tested above capacity but one always lags. Those were B grade and sold as such. The rest stay together very well, it is a classic example of where one should order 17 and cull one.

I order for 16S and can always use cells in a different application or for seasonal use like in winter, for some extra capacity by installing them in a premade box with a 2A active balancer. I ordered a pair of boxes from Luyan and will be using the cells that give me trouble in those. Then see how they fare with active balancing.
I also have one runner in my envision grade b pack but I've attributed it to not doing a proper top balance and the JBDs passive balance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-24-12-34-31-25_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-24-12-34-31-25_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 9
in my Province they recently lowered the off-peak rates from 8.4 to 2.4 cents ...quadrupling my ROI time!!
yeah, they also increased the on-peak rates...but I seldom use on-peak power, ever! LOL.
I think your right, utilty rates will generally increase, and likely faster than other costs of living.
Could skip solar, take the money you would’ve spent on Solar and invest in the utility dividend paying Stock. Then figure out your ROI.

I know I know, I’m a blasphemer.

Buy 20 and put the 4 worst into a 12V pack for 12V loads or smaller portable inverter. When I ordered from 18650 last year, there was a price break in shipping that made 20 better than 16 anyway.
Last three orders included four extra just incase cells, I have gotten lucky and have been increasing my 12 volt portable packs for work.

Attachments

• DE04596A-33EF-4E88-95CD-9030CE6CCB67.jpeg
    DE04596A-33EF-4E88-95CD-9030CE6CCB67.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 38
freight cost increased in the Red Sea
With 30% of global container trade transiting through the Suez Canal, the Red Sea shipping crisis is upending supply chains. It is also increasing shipping costs, causing the prices of some routes — particularly from Asia to Europe — to surge nearly five-fold.
Additionally, as mentioned already by a few, there are now pretty active rumblings in US & EU about increasing tariffs/duties & levies within the next couple of months.

Best Advice LOOK AT your Local/ Regional news (search it) to see if your politicians are about to affect you and your pocketbook again in the next while and plan accordingly. Duties & "crap" can really kill savings in a hurry !

So I just found my first ever local deal.
16-280ah and 16-304ah eve cells for 1500
I guess I won’t be daily scrutinizing battery prices for a while

Could skip solar, take the money you would’ve spent on Solar and invest in the utility dividend paying Stock. Then figure out your ROI.

I know I know, I’m a blasphemer.
The Utility is owned by the Province, so I am already a shareholder.
But, I did think about just putting $20k into PG&E but they pay nearly zero in dividends and it doesn't help me if a tree falls on the utility line down the road from my place...and besides, solar is a Lot More Fun! LOL.
My biggest pay back on solar is charging the EV. Its like getting 71-cents a kilowatt hour. tough to beat.

The Utility is owned by the Province, so I am already a shareholder.
But, I did think about just putting $20k into PG&E but they pay nearly zero in dividends and it doesn't help me if a tree falls on the utility line down the road from my place...and besides, solar is a Lot More Fun! LOL.
My biggest pay back on solar is charging the EV. Its like getting 71-cents a kilowatt hour. tough to beat.
For most DIYer (especially now, as solar has gotten so much much cheaper) it still makes sense. But even for a smaller system where I live, hiring it out would cost close to $50,000. More if I wanted to get completely independent of the grid. They are dividend stocks paying and average of 8 to 9%. Just that alone would easily pay my electric bill. Now add on the principal, and that’s almost another 20 years of Electric bills that I could pay. (of course this is at the current rates, which no doubt will be going up). But I don’t have the future cost of replacing inverters and batteries, either.

I heat my home and water with natural gas. Which is currently a must where I live unless you have geothermal. Down south of course electricity use is higher.

For most DIYer (especially now, as solar has gotten so much much cheaper) it still makes sense. But even for a smaller system where I live, hiring it out would cost close to $50,000. More if I wanted to get completely independent of the grid. They are dividend stocks paying and average of 8 to 9%. Just that alone would easily pay my electric bill. Now add on the principal, and that’s almost another 20 years of Electric bills that I could pay. (of course this is at the current rates, which no doubt will be going up). But I don’t have the future cost of replacing inverters and batteries, either.

I heat my home and water with natural gas. Which is currently a must where I live unless you have geothermal. Down south of course electricity use is higher.
Which dividend stocks that are not MLPs and don't subject you to market risk are paying 8-9%? (MLPs have tax implications and extra forms.)

Don't spend any money,
Don't spend any money,
Don't spend any money,
repeat 12-times = my 12 step program...DSAM!

edit:
$71/cell delivered ...DSAM!
$55/cell plus ship...DSAM!!
just one more pack, ya got space, ...DSAM!!!
What does “DSAM” mean please?

What does “DSAM” mean please?
yeah, my short-hand for "Don't Spend Any Money"
but looking at my DIY battery ESS in my signature, you will see that @42OhmsPA is correct ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Don't SAVE Any Money!
Yeah and seeing these great prices, I am SOOOOOO tempted to buy "just one more" set of 16cells. just one more...

yeah, my short-hand for "Don't Spend Any Money"
but looking at my DIY battery ESS in my signature, you will see that @42OhmsPA is correct ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Don't SAVE Any Money!
Yeah and seeing these great prices, I am SOOOOOO tempted to buy "just one more" set of 16cells. just one more...
Why not 32 cells 3-2=1.... 😉
In today's age I feel safer putting my money in a lithium bank instead of a "digital" bank.

Back