diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo GX --> Display cable length

RoadTurtle

Solar Enthusiast
I think I saw the cable is 2 meters long. To put the cerbo where everything else is going, I'll meed approximately 3-4 meters. Is this doable with longer or extended cable?

The Cerbo GX cable is a USB/HDMI cable hard-wired to the GX. I suppose you could extend the USB cable with a female adapter on one end. Same goes for extending the HDMI cable.

Nate at Explorist.life did a van buildout where he used an extended HDMI cable and a USB power supply at the location where the monitor is mounted. It worked for him to toss the manufactures cables, but your mileage may very. You can find that video on YouTube or at Explorist.life.

The USB is only providing power, so a big long USB extension cable (which is usually intended for data) is not as helpful as another USB power supply close to the GX touch itself. Both the display, and the touch signals are sent via the HDMI. You can power the GX Touch screen from any USB power supply. No data involved on the USB line, HDMI does all the data. Touch and pixels. Minimum screen brightness 1W, Maximum screen brightness 2W.

Another option: An HDMI extender over cat 5. Someone tested several that did not work but this one works flawlessly:
AV Access 4KEX70-L https://www.avaccess.com/products/4kex70-l/

He powers the touch 50 and the Extender with this power supply, it supplies 5V for the touch 50 and 18V for the extender.

PST-YD100W https://www.powerstream.com/AC-A0407.htm

Last edited:
I had a "flashing" issue with Cerbo display and 12' of USB cord connected to Cerbo GX. It would be bright and over a period of several seconds, get dimmer and dimmer, until it "flashed", and back to full bright.

I put a surface mount 12v --> USB block right next to GX, and plugged USB into that connection.

Issue is resolved.

Glad I found the thread, planning on installing g the display and good 40 to 50 ft away from the shed with the solar equipment. At least I know I can do it now.

Glad I found the thread, planning on installing g the display and good 40 to 50 ft away from the shed with the solar equipment. At least I know I can do it now.
You can also connect to the cerbo gx via ethernet or wifi and see the exact same display you see on the hardwired display using any web browser.

You can also connect to the cerbo gx via ethernet or wifi and see the exact same display you see on the hardwired display using any web browser.
Good to know, I have no WIFI where the cabin is, cell service is also non existent though.

Good to know, I have no WIFI where the cabin is, cell service is also non existent though.
The Cerbo can be set to broadcast it’s own SSID so that your phone/tablet/pc can connect directly without a router or internet. You may also be able to add a wifi bridge for more range.

Last edited:
Back