diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo GX means no shunt, right?

Bluedog225

Texas
I’ve got the lynx distributor and the Cerbo gx to go with my Quattro. There’s no reason to get a shunt, right?

I just come off the battery bank and attach to the main bars of the distributor, correct?

Trying to get this system operational by end of year.

Thanks

Having a Cerbo GX is certainly no reason not to have a shunt. In fact, if you have the Victron Smart Shunt, it can provide a better battery voltage reading and battery SoC to the Cerbo, which is pretty important. With the Smart Shunt reporting the battery voltage, the Cerbo can use DVCC (Distributed Voltage and Current Control) to manage the charging of the battery. Even if you don't use DVCC, just having an accurate battery SoC reported by the Cerbo is pretty handy.

If the BMS provides what you need to the Cerbo, then no you do not need a shunt. Check your battery manual and see if it can talk Victron Protocol. If not, then you still should have a shunt.

If your battery BMS can talk Victron Protocol, here is the cable for Cerbo to EG4 LLv2 BMS, your mileage may vary based on your battery:

Check out this thread for what I did with a raspberry pi running Victron's OS, the same OS is on the Cerbo, using a custom cable:

Last edited:
Thanks. I’ve got the SOK rack batteries. The originals from current connected. I thought I read that the shunt was unnecessary. I’ll find the paper work and double check.

Though it sounds like there is some nuance here.

Thanks. I’ve got the SOK rack batteries. The originals from current connected. I thought I read that the shunt was unnecessary. I’ll find the paper work and double check.

Though it sounds like there is some nuance here.
If these are the batteries you have, then it appears based on this manual, that they can talk Victron Protocol, but will need to be configured to do so.

Current Connected support is awesome, I am sure they would be able to help.

Back