diy solar

diy solar

Changing Settings of Devices Utilizing Cerbo GX Rpi

featherlite

Solar Enthusiast
My understanding is that my Cerbo GX Rpi cannot be used to change the charge settings on any of my Victron devices, such as my Smart Shunts, MPPTs nor any of the parameters on my Overkill BMSs, all of which devices already do successfully report data to my Rpi, and which data is also successfully logged to the VRM portal.

My understanding is that the above also applies to an OEM Cerbo GX.
However, I do have the impression that the settings for certain Victron inverter/chargers can be changed utilizing the OEM Cerbo GX.

I have studied the manual for the Cerbo GX to no avail.

Am I correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

My understanding is that my Cerbo GX Rpi cannot be used to change the charge settings on any of my Victron devices, such as my Smart Shunts, MPPTs nor any of the parameters on my Overkill BMSs, all of which devices already do successfully report data to my Rpi, and which data is also successfully logged to the VRM portal.

However, I do have the impression that the settings for certain Victron inverter/chargers can be changed utilizing the OEM Cerbo GX.

I have studied the manual for the Cerbo GX to no avail.

Am I correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.
Some settings can be changed via Victron connect on some of their inverters which have vedirect connections Others with ve.bus ports require a ve.bus configuration cable and PC or android with usb-c version. There is a way to use Cerbo to remote modify a ve.bus config but it's only for copying/moving config files.

The Cerbo can give you access to some of the settings (adjusting AC input current etc) but there's no getting around needing a vemconfigure cable to get deep into the settings afaik.

VRMs devices tab let's you "tunnel" into a device (for example with Victron connect I can access these, where the 450/100 is connected via ve.can and the Phoenix 48/1200 and smartshunt are connected via ve.direct). I can access them like I was connected via Bluetooth (for the SCC and shunt).
Screenshot_20240501_163439.jpg

I just switched to the beta firmware for my Cerbo-S and now it's super easy to adjust my inverter right there using the Controls button versus drilling down thru Victron connect. Presumably with a multiplus or quattro the input amp control would also be shown.

Screenshot_20240501_165752_VRM.jpg

Thanks Brucey,

Note that I do not have "ve.can" or "ve.direct" or a Victron inverter..

Are you saying that I should be able to use VRM to “tunnel” into my shunts and SCC’s so I can change the settings?

If so, tomorrow I will explore VRM again to find a way to make changes on my devices .

Thanks Brucey,

Note that I do not have "ve.can" or "ve.direct" or a Victron inverter..

Are you saying that I should be able to use VRM to “tunnel” into my shunts and SCC’s so I can change the settings?

If so, tomorrow I will explore VRM again to find a way to make changes on my devices .
Yes just open Victron Connect, click VRM, click on your VRM instance, then click on the "Devices" tab and you should see your shunts and sccs. But those devices are connected to my Cerbo via vedirect and ve.can cables.

Screenshot_20240501_170819.jpg

Screenshot_20240501_170625_Chrome.jpg

click on the "Devices" tab and you should see your shunts and sccs.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Yes, in VRM, on the “Device list” I see all my Victron devices, including my SmartShunt 500A. When I click on the SmartShunt device, the screen expands depicting the information below. However, I see nothing that allows me to change settings.

Your previous post implied that I should click "VRM Instance", then the "Device List". I see no "VRM Instance" anywhere on VRM, except the last item depicted below says "VRM Instance" ... but nothing happens when i click on it or any place else.

ProductSmartShunt 500A
Firmware versionv4.16
Last connection9 minutes ago
Serial numberHQ22036G6FA
VRM instance288

I tried to attach a screen shot but the text was too faint to see when I added it to this post.

Could you please be more specific where I should navigate to in VRM to make changes to settings?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1714600132560.png
    1714600132560.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for bearing with me.

Yes, in VRM, on the “Device list” I see all my Victron devices, including my SmartShunt 500A. When I click on the SmartShunt device, the screen expands depicting the information below. However, I see nothing that allows me to change settings.

Your previous post implied that I should click "VRM Instance", then the "Device List". I see no "VRM Instance" anywhere on VRM, except the last item depicted below says "VRM Instance" ... but nothing happens when i click on it or any place else.

ProductSmartShunt 500A
Firmware versionv4.16
Last connection9 minutes ago
Serial numberHQ22036G6FA
VRM instance288

I tried to attach a screen shot but the text was too faint to see when I added it to this post.

Could you please be more specific where I should navigate to in VRM to make changes to settings?

Thank you!
You have to use the Victron Connect app.

You have to use the Victron Connect app.
To clarify, I did use the Victron Connect app in order to access VRM on the Victron web page.

Do you mean that I need to use the Victron Connect app itself to make changes to the settings and that I am not able to do so through VRM and/or the Cerbo GX Rpi?

To clarify, I did use the Victron Connect app in order to access VRM on the Victron web page.

Do you mean that I need to use the Victron Connect app itself to make changes to the settings and that I am not able to do so through VRM and/or the Cerbo GX Rpi?
Yes. The VRM web interface doesn't give you the options that are available via Victron Connect. It's more of a read-only interface with some basic controls for some units in the latest beta cerbo firmware.

diy solar

diy solar
Back