diy solar

diy solar

Charge a Giant Fathom ebike from solar

GarryG163

Want to charge a Giant Fathom ebike from a 200w Renogy suitcase panel setup. What do I need to get the voltage to match the bikes battery.

Output Voltage: 36V - 42V
Output Ampere: 3.0A
Input Voltage: 100-240V

Be gentle I'm brand new to this!

Prayer, or better info.

Are the edits below accurate?

Output Voltage: 36VDC - 42VDC
Output Ampere: 3.0A
Input Voltage: 100-240VAC

I assume these are the charger specs.

If you want to charge direct with the panel, A victron 100/20-48 MPPT programmed to output 3A @ 42VDC, but you'll need a panel capable of producing about 60Voc or 3 100V panels in series.

Otherwise, you'll want to converter to AC to power the charger.

You'll need a 20A MPPT controller and a 200W inverter and a small 12V battery to smooth out any solar dips.

Panel connected to MPPT connected to battery connected to inverter connected to charger.

200W panel optimally positioned in good sun should get you 4-6 hours of charging centered around noon.

I'd vote for the inverter/ac route too. I imagine it is less of a fire hazard that way after all of the scooter/ebike fire stuff I read of in the news.

That's how I charge my scooter.

No experience with the product below or ebikes... Just browsing new threads and found this interesting.... I agree the above options are likely the best from a safety standpoint. Why couldn't something like this work as well?
Oreq Solar Charge Controller, Waterproof MPPT Boost Solar Charge Controller with Display, 24‑85V Solar Panel Battery Intelligent Regulator, Solar Battery Maintainer for Solar System(400W) https://a.co/d/fru2Zx8

Back