diy solar

diy solar

Charge Ebike from lifepo4

abwillingham

I have a homemade 200ah LiFePO4 battery that I use in my overland rig. I built it using the specs found on this site.
It uses the Overkill BMS.

I also have a 52v, 15AH ebike battery.
The other day I attempted to charge my ebike with its supplied charger by using my 600/1200w inverter.

Setup like this:
200AH lifepo4 -> 600/1200w sine intervter -> ebike charger -> ebike bsttery

Within a few seconds the inverter overload was tripped. I put an inline amp meter in between my house battery and inverter to see what was going on.
It was a much higher draw than I thought it would be, greater than 50amps.

My questions:
1) The ebike charger input specs are far below 600w. Why is it tripping my inverter?
2) Can I skip all the inverters and charge the ebike with a DC to DC charger?
3) Can I use the Overkill BMS to reduce the output to the inverter?
4) Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Look on your ebike charger and see what the actual watts and volts are.

I don't recommend using anything but the charger that came with the ebike.

Sounds like the charger takes more volts/amps than your inverter is set for or your charger is malfunctioning.

Have you tried it using AC power from the house?

I recharge my 48 volt Ariel X battery all the time using a 500 watt mod sine inverter from a LIFEPO4 battery. Also charges my Escooter which is 52 volt fine.

The charger specs are well bellow the inverter's output.
input : 100-250vac 1.5amps
output: 58.8v 4amps

The inverter is this one.
GIANDEL Power Inverter Pure Sine Wave 600Watt 12V DC to 120V AC with Remote Control Dual AC Outlets CETL Approved for Small Solar System Outdoor Emergency

Last edited:
Either your charger is using more than you think OR the inverter can't handle 600w. I'm going with charger

I have a homemade 200ah LiFePO4 battery that I use in my overland rig. I built it using the specs found on this site.
It uses the Overkill BMS.

I also have a 52v, 15AH ebike battery.
The other day I attempted to charge my ebike with its supplied charger by using my 600/1200w inverter.

Setup like this:
200AH lifepo4 -> 600/1200w sine intervter -> ebike charger -> ebike bsttery

Within a few seconds the inverter overload was tripped. I put an inline amp meter in between my house battery and inverter to see what was going on.
It was a much higher draw than I thought it would be, greater than 50amps.

My questions:
1) The ebike charger input specs are far below 600w. Why is it tripping my inverter?
2) Can I skip all the inverters and charge the ebike with a DC to DC charger?
3) Can I use the Overkill BMS to reduce the output to the inverter?
4) Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks
Tony
Sounds like your charger might be screwed up. I charge 4 48 volt ebike batteries at the same time with four 2 amp chargers off my batteries and inverter and it only pulls 450 watts.

Back