diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS News / UPDATE (Nov.25.2020) Ver 4.02 firmware

I now have two non functional units one will will take the main update but timeouts on lcd. Another no longer accepts main update and timeouts.
Since they no longer turn on I'm guessing its due to the lcd not being updated I will have to email chargery support tomorrow.

4 screens and 4 bms updated, no issues on any.
Did you make sure and get the other firmware for the screen?
BMS16C3_V4.02_APP for the BMS
BMS16T_V4.02_APP
for the SCREEN.

Do you hear the USB connection sound when you connect the USB? Be sure to give it a 12V power supply.

And are you certain you are using V1.03 of the updater?

Everything I used to do the update, connect and plug into a power supply.

20201124_225333.jpg

Connect USB Update cable from PC to the BMS,
Select the BMS HEX File, BMS16C3_V4.02_APP
Select Com# then OPEN port
Select UPDATE, watch the progress bar.
At completion CLOSE.

20201124_224821.jpg

Connect USB Update cable from PC to the SCREEN,
Select the SCREEN HEX File, BMS16T_V4.02_APP
At completion CLOSE.

20201124_224817.jpg

Last edited:
NOTE, May affect some people.
I had another USB driver installed due to my Midnite Classic's software for updating their firmware, it clobbered the USB port and would not allow the Chargery update tool to access the port. After uninstalling that USB driver it was able to connect to the USB port reliably. If you have something else that installed a USB driver it can potentially interfere.

As Jason noted above, the correct file must be used for the LCD or Main Module. If you select the incorrect HEX file, the result is Timeout as the device rejects the incorrect file.

Disappointed that Jason has not renamed & bolded the names on the site. Simple solution to reduce confusion....

It is easy enough when downloading the files to put them in seperate folders, to differentiate them when you look to open the file....so i dont think it is file confusion. I didnt have any other USB drivers installed on that port. The updater loaded up fine, apeared to open the com3 port no problem, but simply wouldn't make any progress on updating. Disappointing, but not the end of the world. I currently have a functioning BMS...if i tinker with this these updates, i potentially stand to lose functionality. I have a BMV712 for accurate SOC data, so these updates have minimal impact for me anyways.

For info...i'm on a BMS8T with 600A shunt and attempting update with an older laptop running vista....in case other folks with similar update issues can find a common link?

Last edited:
4 screens and 4 bms updated, no issues on any.
Did you make sure and get the other firmware for the screen?
BMS16C3_V4.02_APP for the BMS
BMS16T_V4.02_APP
for the SCREEN.

Do you hear the USB connection sound when you connect the USB? Be sure to give it a 12V power supply.

And are you certain you are using V1.03 of the updater?

Everything I used to do the update, connect and plug into a power supply.

View attachment 28997

Connect USB Update cable from PC to the BMS,
Select the BMS HEX File, BMS16C3_V4.02_APP
At completion CLOSE.

View attachment 28998

Connect USB Update cable from PC to the SCREEN,
Select the SCREEN HEX File, BMS16T_V4.02_APP
At completion CLOSE.

View attachment 28999
If you look at my screenshots the software version both firmware are identical to yours, but my bms does not look like yours. Have to find where I left the camera and take a picture.

Seems like there are two versions?

Attachments

• PC010472.JPG
    PC010472.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
  • PC010471.JPG
    PC010471.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PC010470.JPG
    PC010470.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
NOTE, May affect some people.
I had another USB driver installed due to my Midnite Classic's software for updating their firmware, it clobbered the USB port and would not allow the Chargery update tool to access the port. After uninstalling that USB driver it was able to connect to the USB port reliably. If you have something else that installed a USB driver it can potentially interfere.

As Jason noted above, the correct file must be used for the LCD or Main Module. If you select the incorrect HEX file, the result is Timeout as the device rejects the incorrect file.

Disappointed that Jason has not renamed & bolded the names on the site. Simple solution to reduce confusion....
I had hard enough trouble with that also. I think SCREEN and BMS should be in the file name just to be easy to see.

I can't tell with the last picture, but the other two look the same as mine.
In your pictures is the one flipped over have a screen on it? It looks like you have a second device and the button layout is different.

Definitely will have to get the pro version since it has the balancing I want.

I did the update this evening and everything updated as it should. Since I am not using the Chargery shunt, I reset defaults and performed the current calibration process.

The current readings are much better than before. It's a 300 model BMS8T so even though the threshold to change modes is .3A ...... the resolution is better than that. I adjusted the current from 10A slowly down to around 3A and the Chargery tracked the current within about .15A and it doesn't do the constant flipping around like it did before. It was very stable.
This was only checking with a power supply , and it's too early to tell how well the SOC is going to track. I am doing a full charge and will run some tests on the SOC and WH tracking .... from what I am seeing the update seems like it was very effective.

The cell voltages all read within 20 mv of my meter readings ... with cell 1 and cell 4 being the furthest off. This is while running the BMS8T in a 2P4S configuration and no external power source. I will check with an external power source later to see if there is any difference.

I did the update this evening and everything updated as it should. Since I am not using the Chargery shunt, I reset defaults and performed the current calibration process.

The current readings are much better than before. It's a 300 model BMS8T so even though the threshold to change modes is .3A ...... the resolution is better than that. I adjusted the current from 10A slowly down to around 3A and the Chargery tracked the current within about .15A and it doesn't do the constant flipping around like it did before. It was very stable.
This was only checking with a power supply , and it's too early to tell how well the SOC is going to track. I am doing a full charge and will run some tests on the SOC and WH tracking .... from what I am seeing the update seems like it was very effective.

The cell voltages all read within 20 mv of my meter readings ... with cell 1 and cell 4 being the furthest off. This is while running the BMS8T in a 2P4S configuration and no external power source. I will check with an external power source later to see if there is any difference.
Kewl. Do Not use the balance function in the Chargery! The voltage error will cause #4 to go high in the knee. Also adjust the max voltage/charge/discharge by the amount of the error.

The SOC counter is still not very useful.
Thanks to my Thrash testing (still happening) I forced all my packs down to LVD. Kicked on the Genset, dialed up to 75A charge flipped the switch on BMS' and they started charging from "0 % SOC" what a "trip" the packs took... within 3 hours 2 packs reported 100% SOC (one 175AH and one 280AH) , yet cells were hovering around 3.380V ? The other two packs reported different SOC's.

A kick in the pants result !
Here's the weird part... I did NOT expect at all...
The 2x 280AH Packs, one says 100% the other says 40% BOTH have their cells floating around 3.35-3.39 or so (pretty close across the board) so WTH is up with that ? Both had hit 0% SOC !

BUT - BUT... A lurkin issue ? Here's the rub, NONE of the battery packs actually hit 0% SOC. They were still reading 24.5+ ish volts per pack. LVD Cutoff is set at 3.00V. Each pack had ONE cell hit 2.99V and tripped the disconnect claiming 0% SOC. Now even Weirder... The Pack that did not reset to 0% SOC tripped the exact same way by one cell hitting 0% SOC yet that did not reset the SOC counter to 0% ???? Call me confused ! I mean seriously, WTF is up with that ?

More ODDNESS:
So now here I am charging 4 packs, the 2x 280's and the 2x175's (those used ShunBin cells.
They are on a Common DC Bus in parallel, battery cables are all 4/0 from pack terminal to busbars, to SCC & Inverter. All of the cables are the same length (within 1/8"). So that is all uniform and good, no wire/connection issues, all triple checked for resistance etc.
The two 280AH packs started sucking in 25A to 27A each at the start leaving the rest going into the pair of 175's. Within an hour or so, the 280's took a bit less while more was going into the 175's. Alright, that is interesting but makes sense based on capacity and DOD.. sorta... All the cells in all the packs were happy as clams with <15mv difference during the charge process.

3 hours after starting two packs report 100% but still sucking up the juice as I mentioned above with none of the cells over 3.35 ish so keep charging, now I am seeing the 280's taking in less Amps (as expected) and more going into the 175's so now they are topping up faster & staying fairly even too... again this is not unexpected... THEN the Top WALL ! Holy Macaroni... Those 175's ! they hit the point where all the cells were tickling into 3.4V and sure enough ONE Blighter decided to take off and suck up juice faster than everyone else and away we go to 3.65 and TRIP HVD, pack cuts off and cells settle for 5 minutes and drop below 3.55 and charge restarts and within 30-45 seconds were back to 3.65 and trip again. I can see the Active Balancer shifting the juice with the cell voltages showing that. Now I am seeing divergence up to 200+mv (I played with the setting to see how far they'd get out of whack).

Now as the one pack is playing the HVD edge, the amps are being shifted to the actives while that one kicks off... Great, doing as it should... Now all of a sudden one of the new 280's does that, same deal, one cell hit 3.65 and trip ! Now I have Two Flippers a Flappin - genset is not really impressed with the fluctuating Amp Demands but it's no baby (7200/9000W) so, forward ho ! EVEN MORE STRANGE ! That damned SOC nonsense... The 175's both reporting 99% (they both zeroed) the 280's have separate ideas. What's WORSE, is now the divergence between the Speedy Cell and the slow poke is 200+mv when charging (not when static or discharging). SO the Speedies are killing the ability to get them all up to 3.5V... 3.4 is as far as they will go before speedy decides to run to the finish.

NONE of the IR reported by the BMS' are out of whack, sure there is a bit of difference but nothing serious, in the "working voltages: 0.8 to 1.0 is not much variance. When the LVD was triggered, the one cell in the 175's was reading 2.5 IR, the one 280 that tripped LVD was at 1.8 while the other 280 that Tripped LVD was 1.1.

My YR1030 IR Tester is out of commission, the new YR1035+ should be here I soon I hope... It is traveling with cells, BMS (not chargery) and other equipment. Once I get that, I can re-verify the IR as indicated by Chargery compared to the YR Tester...

The 15V/50A adjustable PS is en-route. Once it arrives, I'll top cells up manually to 3.5 and start another round of tests.
Ironically, I have tinkered the bejesus out of my Midnite Solar Charge Controller and the WizBangJr shunt monitor and it's more accurate about SOC and such, and those have no programming for Lithium based batteries ! which is a tremendous PITA because of the flat voltage curve.

The Setup:
BMS8T-300's. DCC-300's, Chargery Shunt, 1 QNBBM-8S Active balancer per pack.
BMS is powered via the BMS Harness attached to battery. I have the power plugs now, so I was thinking of running leads off the battery terminal posts to the BMS so that it is not powering itself through the harness. Will that make any difference anywhere ? I dunno. Can't hurt.

I hope my observations help folks...
There are many things that are coming out of my Thrash Testing, some good, some not so much and a couple that downright tick me off. At least, doing this kind of harsh test in a controlled situation is better than learning the hard & wrong way. The kicker is, now the LFP is my Primary Battery Bank and the FLA's are secondary (saved my butt at 23:30 hours) when the LFP all kicked 0% SOC and all I had to do was flip a switch over...

The SOC counter is still not very useful.

The Setup:
BMS8T-300's. DCC-300's, Chargery Shunt, 1 QNBBM-8S Active balancer per pack.
BMS is powered via the BMS Harness attached to battery. I have the power plugs now, so I was thinking of running leads off the battery terminal posts to the BMS so that it is not powering itself through the harness. Will that make any difference anywhere ? I dunno. Can't hurt.

I hope my observations help folks...
There are many things that are coming out of my Thrash Testing, some good, some not so much and a couple that downright tick me off. At least, doing this kind of harsh test in a controlled situation is better than learning the hard & wrong way. The kicker is, now the LFP is my Primary Battery Bank and the FLA's are secondary (saved my butt at 23:30 hours) when the LFP all kicked 0% SOC and all I had to do was flip a switch over...
@Steve_S
Great post...very informational in building up some insight into these cells behaviours.
AS regards "was thinking of running leads off the battery terminal posts to the BMS so that it is not powering itself through the harness. Will that make any difference anywhere ? I dunno. Can't hurt. " ...you might want to check on that. There was another thread on that subject...but i'm sure you will already know the correct diode to add if necessary(polite reminder whilst your focus is distracted)

Last edited:
The shotky is recommended for 12V, as I'm 24V it should be no issue.
There now also seems to be some issues with the DCC's... they disconnect but don't ! on discharge.

I flip the LFP Bank OFF and onto the FLA Bank using the BlueSea 9001e and even physically turn OFF the DCC's and yet I am seeing 24+V on the DC Bus for the LFP's. I take a voltage reading between the connection from bus bar to DCC and the Shunt (DCC Side) and there is Voltage ! I am using the Negative Line for the DCC's. If I had those new modules, I could switch over to the (+) side.

I have a "quick swap" setup with TE/Kilovak EVE200's I am gonna pop onto one pack to verify behaviours. Fortunately, as part of my design, all of this is setup in a "modular" fashion, so it's less than 1 minute to swap out the DCC setup "board" for a standard energy saver contactor setup "board".

The shotky is recommended for 12V, as I'm 24V it should be no issue.
There now also seems to be some issues with the DCC's... they disconnect but don't ! on discharge.

I flip the LFP Bank OFF and onto the FLA Bank using the BlueSea 9001e and even physically turn OFF the DCC's and yet I am seeing 24+V on the DC Bus for the LFP's. I take a voltage reading between the connection from bus bar to DCC and the Shunt (DCC Side) and there is Voltage ! I am using the Negative Line for the DCC's. If I had those new modules, I could switch over to the (+) side.

I have a "quick swap" setup with TE/Kilovak EVE200's I am gonna pop onto one pack to verify behaviours. Fortunately, as part of my design, all of this is setup in a "modular" fashion, so it's less than 1 minute to swap out the DCC setup "board" for a standard energy saver contactor setup "board".

@Steve_S
Please let us know how the volt readings go across the cells when you power the chargery, direct leads, from 24v battery. Jason put me off when i mailed him on this subject, but i'm now thinking he didnt realise i was on 24V. If it is simply a matter of getting one of those dc connectors you recommended, then i'd prefer to go that route also(so long as cell voltage accuracy improves).

Fortunately, i opted to go down the route of using the remote on/off connections on the units themselves...so some simple SSR's do the trick.(no issues with DCC's for me...one less headache..lol)

Last edited:
Kewl. Do Not use the balance function in the Chargery! The voltage error will cause #4 to go high in the knee. Also adjust the max voltage/charge/discharge by the amount of the error.
So with out running from and external power source the balance function is not safe to use?

So with out running from and external power source the balance function is not safe to use?
In my case yes. The 25mv voltage difference (reading low) would cause cell #4 to hit the knee earlier. The more I tried to balance the worse it got.

Back