diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS News / UPDATE (Nov.25.2020) Ver 4.02 firmware

all new firmware for all BMS models are posted on https://chargery.com/update.asp

LCD uint V4.01, Simplify current calibration,
LCD uint V4.02, Minimum current reading, 0.3A at 100A shunt, and 0.5A at 300A shunt.
Modify over current protection resume operation

Main unit V4.02, Optimize minimum current detection, Optimize cell voltage measurement
Main unit V4.03, Improve SOC calibration, retain all settings and AH, WH, SOC reading after power off BMS.
Main uint V4.04, Improve AH reading.

For all models, the latest version of LCD is V4.02, The latest version of main BMS unit is V4.04

happy new year.

all new firmware for all BMS models are posted on https://chargery.com/update.asp
Main uint V4.04, Improve AH reading.
For all models, the latest version of LCD is V4.02, The latest version of main BMS unit is V4.04
Folks, I said it before and it got lost in the thread. This Version 4.04 IS A BIG IMPROVEMENT !
The AH & WH calculations make much more logical sense now and match reality.

IMO, this is a MUST DOWNLOAD update.

A Mention on IR (Internal Resistance).
Everyone is HUNG UP ON IR and while that is a key factor that can wreak havoc, remember that CELL IMPEDANCE is also a major factor and that is something NO BMS' can address. Impedance is also a subject / topic that has been "Lost in the wash". These are the two factors which affect Charging & Discharging. I think this will likely have to be raised in a separate post... no-one mentions it.

Last edited:
but lately think I was educated that means balance start & then works @ > 3.4v / and none happens below 3.4v. .... Is that correct?? ... and if it is; Why not set balance to start at a lower to 3.25v, or 3.20V ?
Correct, balance start when all cell voltage over "start balance voltage" setting, under 3.2V, when battery is in charging, the cell voltage difference will drop automatically, or the cell voltage can be resumed balanced partly, for very large voltage difference battery, 3.2V of start balance voltage setting is good for balancing as fast as possible.

I have 4 Chargery 16T BMS to install. I bought 3 in september and the other in December. I'm wanting to install them on my 280AH cells which I'm not using because I need to update these units.

This is one confusing thread.
How come their is not a video on step by step on how to update the BMS for those who do not have a clue on what a lot of this stuff means?
Do I need to download 4.02, 4.03 and 4.04 and put them all on each BMS? Or just the latest one?
How do I get my computer to even recognize I got a BMS hooked up into the USB drive?
How do I find the updates on my computer?

Thanks for any help

You will only need the latest update.

You can control where the download file goes when you do the download.

Read the update guide closely .... maybe a couple of times. Use device manager to determine what com port your computer is assigning .... you can see it add when plugging in the device. The biggest challenge is interpreting what some call the Chenglish in the instructions.

please watche the update video on
good luck
@Chargery ..... He talked about updating but didn't actually do it in this video. Looks like he was still on the old, old 1.22

This video is also not a very good representation of what most of us want to do with the Chargery ..... He didn't even seem to realize the value of cutting of charge or load because of an individual cell out of range.

I have been searching for the right BMS for a parallel 4S + 4S 12V 560Ah set up for a sailing yacht. Although my average current draw will usually be very low (10A ish) I will have a 1500W Inverter for occasional use. I have largely ruled out the on board FET based BMS and was drawn to the REC – until I started pricing up the two that I would need for my system!! I was excited therefore to find the Chargery BMS8T and its associated integrated DCCs that sounded a good option – that was until I ended up on youtube!! It seems that there has been a very productive debate going on here which has led to significant improvements to the Chargery functionality.

The question therefore to the contributors of this thread – is the BMS now “fit for purpose” straight out of the box. I really don’t want to spend a lot of time head scratching and tweaking the kit to get it working?

It is my understanding that the new "P" series of BMS' are to be released for February.
Unfortunately, Chinese New Year kicks in and so much for any shipments etc until at "least" Feb 21 at the earliest.
If whatever you are ordering is not on the boat / plane by Feb 01, well... you're waiting...

It is my understanding that the new "P" series of BMS' are to be released for February.
Unfortunately, Chinese New Year kicks in and so much for any shipments etc until at "least" Feb 21 at the earliest.
If whatever you are ordering is not on the boat / plane by Feb 01, well... you're waiting...
Hi Steve. What do you know about the P Series and would you anticipate significant risk is to the early purchasers? Presumably there is a pull through from the latest software so I guess the key risk is around new units and functionality and how much testing has been conducted. Directed to you as you appear to be quite invested in the products, apologies if you don't have the insight.....

Well I can't really say too much more than what has already been stated by Jason with regards to the "P" series.
Active Balancing, RS232/485/CanBus comms, better UI, still uses external DCC (Relay/Contactor).
Jason has been beating on the test models, busting them and improving them and now in final stages.
A LOT of input / suggestions taken from us here and incorporated into the new version.
I have not seen any docs or anything, I dunno what Jason is decided to with the docs, I would have edited them as well but he hasn't sent me anything so I dunno. I redid some of manuals but gave up when given incomplete info which then changed without my knowledge so I could not update and then I got CRAPPED on for docs being out of whack.

Considering the new DCC Manual is such a bodged up mess of contradiction, I'm staying out of it, unless asked and provided with all the correct info.

Well I can't really say too much more than what has already been stated by Jason with regards to the "P" series.
Active Balancing, RS232/485/CanBus comms, better UI, still uses external DCC (Relay/Contactor).
Jason has been beating on the test models, busting them and improving them and now in final stages.
A LOT of input / suggestions taken from us here and incorporated into the new version.
I have not seen any docs or anything, I dunno what Jason is decided to with the docs, I would have edited them as well but he hasn't sent me anything so I dunno. I redid some of manuals but gave up when given incomplete info which then changed without my knowledge so I could not update and then I got CRAPPED on for docs being out of whack.

Considering the new DCC Manual is such a bodged up mess of contradiction, I'm staying out of it, unless asked and provided with all the correct info.
Thanks Steve. I'm not really in a position to wait for too long as my cells are en-route and I would like to be installed and tested by end of March! I will see what Jason says about the new device before making up my mind on whether to wait. I know you have many of the original in use - are you now content with the operation i.e. should I be reasonably content to proceed with the latest firmware. Fwiw - I have read the manual you produced and it reads well!!

I am running 4 BMS8T's with DCC-300's + QNBBM-8S Active Balancers.
All fully updated to latest flash, with ISO Boards & External Power interface.
All works as it should with little problems. Was a bit quirky getting everything just right (running 4 packs, 2x280 & 2x175 confuddles some things).
COMMS is the thing I do NOT like. The current version is Read Only RS232 data output.
I wanted / "prefer" bidirectional protocol which I can configure from an application and monitor / manage each BMS...
I use Raspberry Pi, Node-Red & ModBus to interact with my Midnite Classic SCC and Samlex Inverter.

Back