diy solar

diy solar

Chargery issues

Dyotat100

I have 2p4s 280 ah eve cells with chargery. Right now chargery is not fully setup because I ordered the ISO board and was sent power board. This all happened right before Chinese New Year so I couldn't finish setup. I also have a Thonewave labs Bluetooth monitor on it so I can see what is going on. It gives me voltage, current, power, power meter, and charge meter. Also has battery runtime.

I had to put battery into use Friday because we had planned camping trip. So far I'm really happy with the batteries. Has been a real learning experience. I have been on battery power only since Friday. I had TV on most of yesterday because we had 35 mph winds in the desert. So so far the Victron 3000 has been on the whole time. I could have shut it down at night but then I would have to setup the satellite everyime power is lost. Have ran microwave to warm things up. Heater runs a lot because it was down to 38° last night.

Now the problems

Has anyone had issues with not being able to shut off the BMS? If I hit the stop button it will not go to sleep. First I thought it was because it was cold. So I warmed it up and no different.
Second I haven't updated firmware. How much better is the accuracy when updated? Right now its garbage. Says I'm at 0 capacity and I was at 30% when I checked this morning. Don't know when it hit zero.

I'm having second thoughts about Chargery reliability. I don't know if I want to trust it with low voltage cut off. Right now I have charger set to 14 volts and does a good but I want the BMS to back it it also.

Here is a screen shot of Thornewave. I can be 100' away and still connected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-093517.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-093517.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 3
The stop button only works if the BMS is in storage mode .... not charge or load. I wish they would change that.

I am running a 2P4S configuration also, and am very happy after the software upgrades and powering externally.

It is definitely worth doing the updates.

So how are you powering it? I was sent the power board and was going to use it to power it. Was just going to give power from main terminals instead of balance leads

Ok. It was going into storage yesterday but won't today. Maybe I was getting lucky and it was reading 0 when I tried. The amps bounce all over the place

I
Ok. It was going into storage yesterday but won't today. Maybe I was getting lucky and it was reading 0 when I tried. The amps bounce all over the place
The voltage and amp readings are much more stable with the latest update .... and the SOC tracking is pretty accurate.

If you have the power board already, you should be good to go for external power.
I powered mine with a Schottky diode in series with the battery negative and connected the positive thru a fuse. I tied the negative wire on the downstream side of the shunt so any power used by the BMS would be added ... even though the idle current isn't likely to get it out of storage mode.

So how are you powering it? I was sent the power board and was going to use it to power it. Was just going to give power from main terminals instead of balance leads
I'm running mine directly off the battery. The Chargery seems really sensitive to ripple, try using a twisted pair for the sense leads and put a couple ferrite chokes on the sense leads and battery positive and negative.

The Wurth Star-Gap ferrite chokes do a really good job of not getting saturated by high amperage DC, but the ripple frequency might be too low for them to do much.

Did you order through alibaba or straight through the chargery store? (Just curious)
I order through chargery. I contacted Jason asking if I was missing the ISO board. Said I bought mine right before they developed it. It is now included. So I ordered 2 and 2 power boards showed up. He will make it right but the 3-4 weeks I'm having to wait is the bummer

I order through chargery. I contacted Jason asking if I was missing the ISO board. Said I bought mine right before they developed it. It is now included. So I ordered 2 and 2 power boards showed up. He will make it right but the 3-4 weeks I'm having to wait is the bummer
I'm not using the DCC .... I am using small relays and ssr's to remote control devices instead of switching the battery power.

I'm running mine directly off the battery. The Chargery seems really sensitive to ripple, try using a twisted pair for the sense leads and put a couple ferrite chokes on the sense leads and battery positive and negative.

The Wurth Star-Gap ferrite chokes do a really good job of not getting saturated by high amperage DC, but the ripple frequency might be too low for them to do much.
I'm not electrical savvy. I'm good at wiring and stuff but when it comes to what your saying I'm lost.
What exactly would I buy. Have no problem installing just don't know what to buy.
Thanks

So if your not turning the power off what are you turning off?
I'm remote controlling the inverters and chargers .... for instance, my inverter has a power switch ... so, I wired a small SSR in series with the switch so that both must be on to power the inverter.

I haven't installed the pack in my RV yet, but will do similar control for charge controllers.

I

The voltage and amp readings are much more stable with the latest update .... and the SOC tracking is pretty accurate.

If you have the power board already, you should be good to go for external power.
I powered mine with a Schottky diode in series with the battery negative and connected the positive thru a fuse. I tied the negative wire on the downstream side of the shunt so any power used by the BMS would be added ... even though the idle current isn't likely to get it out of storage mode.
What size Schottky diode?

Thanks for the help. I'm going to look at power board and see whats on it. If not I have access to those barrel contectors
The power board is a little more elegant solution ... it has a diode on it, and also has a switch. I have to unplug the plug to power mine off.

Back