diy solar

diy solar

Charging 12V Solar Gen With Gas Gen

PaulLad

I've got a Bluetti EB240 2400 watt solar generator. I've got an upgraded charging brick that will handle 500 watts but I assume I can't just plug that into a generator and need to buy a charger made for this purpose. How do I go about finding the right charger? Thanks.

Just read this:

"If you connect a generator to a all-in-one or inverter charger, it can destroy it! It is not designed to work with the dirt ac output generator by most generators."

Does this mean I'm risking ruining my solar gen by charging with my cheap gas gen?

Just read this:

"If you connect a generator to a all-in-one or inverter charger, it can destroy it! It is not designed to work with the dirt ac output generator by most generators."

Does this mean I'm risking ruining my solar gen by charging with my cheap gas gen?

Not sure where that came from.

MPP Solar, Growatt, EG4 are notoriously finicky with generator power. They often struggle to charge, and it's the reason the Chargeverter was created. It's more about performance than it is about safety. Charging is very unreliable, but I've never heard of an actual incident where it was damaged, nor have I heard that it may damage them.

Just read this:

My experience with this: When solar was insufficient to get the job done (Maine winters), I recharged my batteries all last winter/spring using a Harbor Freight Predator inverter type generator, connected to the generator (shore power) connection of my Victron MultiPlus. Worked like a charm. We ran an AC line to the building that has the Victron in it over the summer, just to avoid pulling out the generator (for convenience only), but I'd use that little inverter generator again without a worry if I hadn't run that AC line.

On the other hand... We also have a cheap Champion gasoline-fueled generator (not inverter type) that we use primarily for remote tool power on the property (e.g., running large drills and drivers when working with 8" hemlock beams, nowhere near AC power). I use Stabil in the gas (works great, btw) but late each autumn I run the generator to get rid of last year's leftover gas. Yesterday, I decided that I didn't want to just waste that gasoline as I burned it up, so I hooked the cheapo generator to the to Victron to recharge my batteries. It worked fine to recharge, but the AC power it produced wreaked havoc with lighting in the buildings, which have Lutron Caseta switches. A small amount of strobing at all times, and when it started to get near an empty tank, it was like someone was turning the lights up and down quickly. I thi k this must be because the Victron basically "passes through" shore power.

So... Would I use an inverter-type generator? Yes, without much worry.
Would I use a non-inverter-type, cheapo generator? Maybe to recharge the batteries, as the Victron seemed to "clean things up" for that purpose (batteries recharged just fine). But I wasn't thrilled with the quality of power being passed through, so I'd likely avoid that in the future.

BTW, we also have a Kohler whole house generator (propane-fueled that is our primary backup power for the property) that is not technically an inverter-type, but the power it produces is so "clean" we basically can't tell we're not on utility power when it's in use. All the Lutron switches and electronics work just fine, and have for years.

Anyway, that's my experience with the situation.

@Madcodger Victron inverters are absurdly tolerant of dirty generator power and they can be made even more so by disabling UPS function on the inverter tab and indicating weak AC input on the charger tab.

This is about the Chinese AiOs' inability to reliably charge from non-inverter generators.

That came from @Will Prowse sales page for the chargeverter.

Two possibilities:
1) taken out of context for marketing purposes.
2) @Will Prowse is wrong.

Lots of forum folks have used non-inverter generators on Voltronics-type AiO, and I've never heard of one being damaged from the "dirty" power. However, seeing them being unable to charge at peak rated current if at all is very common.

Where did I say that? What sales page is this?

And voltronic aio are notorious for being destroyed by dirty output generators. It's actually one of the largest reasons those get sent back.

I never mentioned solar generators or victron in that discussion in my video.

Last edited:
The reason the chargverter exists is because high failure rate of voltronics with cheap generators being connected to them.

But victron inverter chargers I never mentioned in my video, and I don't see how they would have any issues at all. Should be fine

The reason the chargverter exists is because high failure rate of voltronics with cheap generators being connected to them.

So the AiO are actually failing as in destroyed/damaged/inoperative?

I guess being the top post whore means I can still miss stuff. :p

But victron inverter chargers I never mentioned in my video, and I don't see how they would have any issues at all. Should be fine

@Madcodger just went a little off topic.

Just read this:

An AIO and a "solar generator" with a wall wart are two different critters.

An AIO and a "solar generator" with a wall wart are two different critters.
Yes absolutely. I don't think I've seen a single issue with charging solar generator with dedicated power supply with generator. Actually the EcoFlow could have issues considering its charge circuit is similar to voltronic but I haven't seen any reports of that anywhere. And they sell a dedicated generator that works great. The EcoFlow turns it on automatically too. Maybe why we don't see any issues with those.

Guess I still need to learn some of the lingo. I thought AIO was the same as a solar generator (eg Ecoflow Delta). So I should be fine charging my Bluetti EB240 straight into any generator?

Guess I still need to learn some of the lingo. I thought AIO was the same as a solar generator (eg Ecoflow Delta). So I should be fine charging my Bluetti EB240 straight into any generator?
Yes charge it direct. AIO is a box that has inverter, pv charge controller, ac charger and more.

Solar generator has all of that and a battery. Usually integrated as a single unit

@Madcodger just went a little off topic.
Madcodger just relayed his experience with using a generator (more than one, actually) with an inverter charger (a Victron Multiplus, in this case). I never mentioned anything about a post from Will, so don't drag me into that. "Off topic" is sometimes in the eyes of the beholder. A person asked about using a generator with an All-In-One OR INVERTER CHARGER (brand not specified), so I offered up what I have observed. If it doesn't fit your view of the topic, so be it. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Madcodger just relayed his experience with using a generator (more than one, actually) with an inverter charger (a Victron Multiplus, in this case). I never mentioned anything about a post from Will, so don't drag me into that. "Off topic" is sometimes in the eyes of the beholder. A person asked about using a generator with an All-In-One OR INVERTER CHARGER (brand not specified), so I offered up what I have observed. If it doesn't fit your view of the topic, so be it. Have a nice day.

No need to get defensive or refer to yourself in third person. Sunshine_eggo was trying to explain when your post confused the owner of this form as it seemed to have nothing to do with the subject. All-in-ones are unique in that they consistently suck with non-inverter generators. It's pervasive on this site.

When the quote context is taken in its entirety, it's clear that experience with a robust system very tolerant of poor AC input quality is off topic.

Your experience with top tier hardware is not at all relevant to AC charging on all-in-ones. Congrats on your choice and experience. We have that in common.

No need to get defensive or refer to yourself in third person. Sunshine_eggo was trying to explain when your post confused the owner of this form as it seemed to have nothing to do with the subject. All-in-ones are unique in that they consistently suck with non-inverter generators. It's pervasive on this site.

When the quote context is taken in its entirety, it's clear that experience with a robust system very tolerant of poor AC input quality is off topic.

Your experience with top tier hardware is not at all relevant to AC charging on all-in-ones. Congrats on your choice and experience. We have that in common.
Edited three times now. Not worth it. Walking away. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Back