diy solar

diy solar

Charging two 12v lifepo4 batteries in parallel independently?

workbox

Hi everyone

I have two 12v 320ah lifepo4 batteries connected in parallel. And two Victron Orion 12/12/30a chargers connected in parallel as well. However, with new firmware upgrades Victron Orion in parallel wouldn't charge battery higher than 38a but if I connect separately each would give approx. 27a output = 54a total.

Question. Can I connect each Victron Orion to the each battery separately and what is the best method?

Hi everyone

I have two 12v 320ah lifepo4 batteries connected in parallel. And two Victron Orion 12/12/30a chargers connected in parallel as well. However, with new firmware upgrades Victron Orion in parallel wouldn't charge battery higher than 38a but if I connect separately each would give approx. 27a output = 54a total.

Question. Can I connect each Victron Orion to the each battery separately and what is the best method?

Ensure all connections are of high quality and properly torqued.

Have you confirmed this limitation is present at ALL states of charge? Discharge your batteries at least 20% and see how the chargers perform. It is natural for current to decrease as the battery bank fills. Since you are indicated 27A and not 30A or more, this implies you are in the absorption phase of charging.

Resistances in wires and connections may cause minor interference between the chargers. Connecting one charger to each battery individually will minimize this. The (+) wire to each charger should be fused or breakered.

Ensure all connections are of high quality and properly torqued.

Have you confirmed this limitation is present at ALL states of charge? Discharge your batteries at least 20% and see how the chargers perform. It is natural for current to decrease as the battery bank fills. Since you are indicated 27A and not 30A or more, this implies you are in the absorption phase of charging.

Resistances in wires and connections may cause minor interference between the chargers. Connecting one charger to each battery individually will minimize this. The (+) wire to each charger should be fused or breakered.
Victron Orion rated to 30a however, you would never see that specially as it warms up.
I had 55a output before the last firmware update.

My actual question. Can I connect each Victron Orion to the each battery separately and what is the best method please?

I want to find out the best option to charge 2(12v) batteries connected in parallel individually.

Victron Orion rated to 30a however, you would never see that specially as it warms up.

Incorrect.

12/12/30 has a 25°C rating of 430W, which means it will often put out more than 30A.
320W at 40°C.

I had 55a output before the last firmware update.

At the same SoC? If yes, you have logs to confirm?

My actual question. Can I connect each Victron Orion to the each battery separately and what is the best method please?

Already answered:

Back