diy solar

diy solar

Cheapest 24V 1500w inverter/charger thats worth a d@mn

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Just smoked my modified APC Smart UPS SUA1000, we had the power go out and I didnt have the cooling fan enabled because I'd turned it off and forgot about it.

I need a inexpensive good value inverter/charger to act as a UPS for a while until get the Radian based whole house UPS going. I could get another APC UPS and modify it for about $300 but I'd like something that I can use here for and then install in the boat.

Any recommendations for a inverter/charger with a fast enough transfer time to act as a UPS and isnt going to die in a year?

Thanks!

UPS1000.JPG

NO NOT COTEK !!! Since they got bougt out the company went for a dumper on service, support & warranty backing. Quality also went down. NONE of the local vendors will carry them anymore because of it...

no, it isn't. Run forest Run ! sorry but I spend time with my solar suppliers & vendors and about a year ago everything with Cotek changed. I won't name the vendors as it's not up to me to do that BUT you have read some of the material written by one of them as it's posted often here.

BTW: I bought my Yiyen 3kw/24V combi inverter/charger for like $700 USD, not a bad basic unit if your interested in something like that. They are very similar to the AIMS inverters, possibly even their OEM.

$568 USD is pretty darn good price wise.
$505 on their site !
Before you buy it, download the manual !
These are dip switch / pot switch configured and as I recall, they don't have fine settings for LFP. AGM, FLA is what they support by default. They may have added new settings for LFP but I do not know.

Just checked the manual https://www.aimscorp.net/documents/PICOGLF12W-25W12V120V 071218.pdf

asims-batt-chart.JPG

Already bought it through ebay, free shipping. It'll be sitting on two FIAMM FLX500 AGMs so I don't need much in the way of adjust-ability, and the boat has fairly new AGMs so I won't need LFP there either.

What sold me on it is it's marine rated. And the price of course.

The AGM 1 setting would work for LFP, the 13.4v float is low enough not to cause damage.

Sigineer has essentially the same unit with free shipping at $589 but I didnt want to wait that long

NO NOT COTEK !!! Since they got bougt out the company went for a dumper on service, support & warranty backing. Quality also went down. NONE of the local vendors will carry them anymore because of it...

Agree with STEVE ... COTEK is actually on our DO NOT ORDER FROM list at work ... since they got bought out their stuff has tanked ...

Agree with STEVE ... COTEK is actually on our DO NOT ORDER FROM list at work ... since they got bought out their stuff has tanked ...
Does anyone know when they were bought out, and by whom? It's been my understanding that Cotek builds some Samlex inverters. Or did. Am interested in this as I recently purchased a Cotek SC2000-124, a 2000W inverter/charger and can still return it if it's junk! https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/CTOEK_SC_2000_spec.pdf

I have the AIMS 24v 2000 watt version, no problems but light use. I’ve also been feeling out FuelZero and recently bought one of their LiFePO4 batteries. Great customer service (see my other post on this which I will be updating soon). Here’s the FuelZero inverter closest to what you’re asking for (note I HAVE NOT tried this one) https://www.fuelzero.com/1500-4500w-24v-PureSinewave-Low-Freq-Inverter-p/fz-ep3000-lv-24v-1500.htm
The fuel zero looks the same phenotype or whatever as aims, sigineer, yiyen, who know what else. You cant get them to admit or know if they are taking advantage of my assumption. Many manufacturers and and huge supply chains making related or copied stuff.

On close examination, the sigineer amd aims are either the best of replicas, unlikely, or they are made by the same manufacturer. When compared closely there are tells that point to one or the other, likely. It is also done where a manufacturer does make it for a more well known brand but there are subtle differences rather than a label or color design change where parts are exact, in exact locations, by the same method, of the same material and dimensions.

I too have seen distinct similarities in some cotek stuff in the past. A bad cotek i have and have seen, they are junk.

20191016_121832.jpg

Last edited:
Cotek & Samlex have always been two separate companies.
Yiyen & Singineer are also two different OEM companies. Fuel Zero is a VAR.

Here are a couple Cotek inverters on the Samlex America web site:

"As a leading distributor of Cotek power conversion products, SunWize sells Cotek (Samlex) inverters, battery chargers, inverter chargers, and more to leading customers throughout North America and beyond. Most of our solar system product lines feature Cotek inverters and battery chargers as the standard option." https://www.sunwize.com/cotek-power-solutions/

Perhaps Samlex is a distributor for Cotek? There seem to be some sort of relationship.

I don't think they got bought out. I looked up the public filings for Cotek and found nothing about a sale. (I looked back to the late 80's). I also checked with North America Support for Cotek and they said it is not true.

As far as support goes, I have had good response from them.
I have not tried to return anything, so I can not speak to their warranty processing.
It is too early for me to comment on the quality....

Your Mileage May Vary

Back