diy solar

diy solar

Community Solar power.

You can have various primary voltages.
Those pad transformers require 19200 Volts on primaries to output 240 split on secondaries don’t they?
13.2 kV primary is common. It should work in reverse but possibly at reduced capacity due to internal physical bracing designed for step down. But this could be BS rumor I read from a power company electrician.

Then you only need to wheel supplemental power between homes, and not build an entire distribution system.
Problem is you need grid forming inverter to provide stable AC power source and sink to make all those home grid tie inverters work. They will not black start themselves.

That still requires some sort of distribution.
I need to find out how and what.

That sounds ideal though rather than trying to add on to the main distribution building and solar field.

It’s definitely something I will have to delve into..
This might help. https://www.solarelectricsupply.com...stom/upload/sunny-island-off-grid-catalog.pdf

No need for all of this nonsense about high voltage distribution systems.

I was involved in a few similar systems back in the years back when I traveled for work.

1705200837880.png

You can have various primary voltages.

13.2 kV primary is common. It should work in reverse but possibly at reduced capacity due to internal physical bracing designed for step down. But this could be BS rumor I read from a power company electrician.
I follow what you are saying.

See this is where I am lacking.

I’m going to have to do some serious research to determine what we need and can use.

I thought perhaps will all the EE on here someone would be proficient in power distribution.
Maybe give me a basis to start with with.

I'd tack against the wind (along w/ DiyRich) and make this more a collection of independent diy off-grid homesteads:

- 100 acres is divvied up into tracts for each home, and one or more common areas, all part of the trust. needs a great design to get into the 100-acre parcel, and then into each homestead (ingress/egress, services, etc.). needs a great trust arrangement, which I think means much lawyering; probably need a benevolent dictator to get it going, as long as the dictator bows out at some point.
- Each homestead is fully off-grid w/ solar/battery-bank/generator/propane ... no central authority (which never works right anyway), and the *excess* is sent only to neighbors in need; see other threads on this forum about what to do with excess power. Personally, I'd just put it to work on the homestead (ev charging, etc.), and then move those results around.
- no power poles ... please. they just break under weather conditions, anyway. in the above, no need for power poles.

All of this is "community" ... it's very hard to do (but not impossible), and fits well with a thought experiment. I'd suggest the community forums of many websites (permies.org is a great start), and other org's discussing the pros/cons of community.

Love the thought exercise effort ... last I checked, nobody dies from it ...

Hope this helps ...

I'd tack against the wind (along w/ DiyRich) and make this more a collection of independent diy off-grid homesteads:

- 100 acres is divvied up into tracts for each home, and one or more common areas, all part of the trust. needs a great design to get into the 100-acre parcel, and then into each homestead (ingress/egress, services, etc.). needs a great trust arrangement, which I think means much lawyering; probably need a benevolent dictator to get it going, as long as the dictator bows out at some point.
- Each homestead is fully off-grid w/ solar/battery-bank/generator/propane ... no central authority (which never works right anyway), and the *excess* is sent only to neighbors in need; see other threads on this forum about what to do with excess power. Personally, I'd just put it to work on the homestead (ev charging, etc.), and then move those results around.
- no power poles ... please. they just break under weather conditions, anyway. in the above, no need for power poles.

All of this is "community" ... it's very hard to do (but not impossible), and fits well with a thought experiment. I'd suggest the community forums of many websites (permies.org is a great start), and other org's discussing the pros/cons of community.

Love the thought exercise effort ... last I checked, nobody dies from it ...

Hope this helps ...
We are definitely going to do the Trust.

One of the things we are trying to ascertain is central generation or just individual generation.
Individual would be very easy to do.

Trying to see if there is a cost benefit to doing central vs individual power.

If we did central power all utilities would be in ground.

The rest is fairly easy.
We have an attorney who only does Trust.

The physical layout is not hard.
One road in from state access to a rather large roundabout with individual driveways off that in a spoke.
We were thinking of putting central generation in the middle of the roundabout so no ones home is far away.

The cost of HV power distribution equipment for 9 houses is $150k alone not including engineering, earthworks and labor. Assuming those remaining costs add another $100k then total grid cost per house is $28k not including cost of central power plant. For that price you could buy and install 14kW 60kWh dual inverter offgrid ground mount solar system. And save yourself a ton of headache setting up legal logistics of it all.

The cost of HV power distribution equipment for 9 houses is $150k alone not including engineering, earthworks and labor. Assuming those remaining costs add another $100k then total grid cost per house is $28k not including cost of central power plant. For that price you could buy and install 14kW 60kWh dual inverter offgrid ground mount solar system. And save yourself a ton of headache setting up legal logistics of it all.
Won’t be doing HV.

Talked with Sol-Ark and Sunny island.
Not needed.

Legal is pro bono. He’s a friend.

Central generation is a field of ground mount solar. Easier to have optimal orientation and to maintain than distributed solar on roofs.

Central generation requires large grid wire and 3k to 6k volts that is stepped down to each house (or groups of houses).

Back