diy solar

diy solar

compression lugs with thick stranded wire

John Frum

Tell me your problems
Has anyone tried compression lugs with thick stranded wire like thhn or xhhw?
Does it form a proper cold weld?
If you have done it, would you do it again?

I used thick stranded 6 gauge wire with a ferrule and it's working OK. The ferrule isn't likely to be the cold weld that a lug compressed with a hydraulic crimper can do.

I did do some 8 gauge thick strand wire into compression lugs, but I can't say for sure if it's a cold weld or not. I'm not cutting it apart.

Someone I'm helping might want to do compression lugs with THHN or XHHW.
THHN and XHHW are typically less expensive than fine stranded heavy gauge wire.
Plus its commonly available at big box stores.
Also the lack of flexibility and tendency to hold shape when bent can be an advantage in certain circumstances.

I used mechanical lugs in my setup but I try to be more conservative with the advice I give others.

Fine Wire vs Coarse Wire are not the same when it comes to AC vs DC for Current Handling. Coarse is NOT recommended for DC. Think about it for a second, Why to High Amperage DC Welders use Super Fine Stranded Wire ? Don't cheap out on wire, there are consequences.
I'm skeptical of your claim.
Why is fine stranded wire better for DC current handling?
Who is saying that "Coarse is NOT recommended for DC"?

Last edited:
Throwing gasoline on the fire here...

My welder does both AC and DC. It uses the same fine stranded leads for both. It's my understanding that the leads are fine stranded simply for flexibility.

Throwing gasoline on the fire here...

My welder does both AC and DC. It uses the same fine stranded leads for both. It's my understanding that the leads are fine stranded simply for flexibility.
Yes and solid metal busbars seem to work fine for DC.

You need fine strands for high frequency AC because of skin affect. 60HZ is not high frequency

This may be veering off topic but I looked at two bus bar ampacity tables, one for DC and the other for AC (pretty sure it's AC since it referenced 60 Hz). For the same size bus bar, the AC ampacity rating is much higher. I'm posting this mainly because I don't understand the difference.

AC ampacity table

DC ampacity table

EDIT: They're the same. I was reading it wrong.

Last edited:
This may be veering off topic but I looked at two bus bar ampacity tables, one for DC and the other for AC (pretty sure it's AC since it referenced 60 Hz). For the same size bus bar, the AC ampacity rating is much higher. I'm posting this mainly because I don't understand the difference.

AC ampacity table

DC ampacity table
I'm confused the charts are the same.
Que?

Last edited:
Electricians use compression connections for everything between #6 AWG up to 600MCM cables. Either 19 or 29 strands depending on diameter. Lasts for well over 50 years. Have no idea why a guy on a forum would think not to.

AC ampacity table

DC ampacity table
Looks almost identical to me.

Used 30C rise for each

Example 1/4 x 1 AC = 400A
1/4 x 1 DC = 409A

Back