diy solar

diy solar

Compression when top balancing??

Jimbo007

Hi all,

I’ve just received my order of 72 x EVE LF280K cells and I’m starting to top balance them. I just wondered if I need to worry about compression at this stage or is it ok to do this without compressing?

Thanks,
Jamie.

I always compress when charging. Long threaded rod and a couple of ends and I use Poron sheets in between with the adhesive liner not exposed.

I use 3mm Poron and for 16 280Ah EVE cells in a straight line I have a length of 1183mm. I know that figure because I was working on my bank last night. Slip a liner over the rod that is non conductive that is just slightly shorter than the computed length, we don't want to have any metal on the cell case or have the rod damage the case if it was to contact it. Put a nut on the threaded rod backwards at each end, screw them on to the computed length (1183mm in my case) is reached from outsides of the nuts. . Install end plates and nuts on the outside. Evenly tighten outside nuts until the end plates are tight to the backwards facing nuts. The threaded rod is now a compression fixture and a compression limiter. For a 16S pack I use a threaded rod length of 49.25".

Hi all,

I’ve just received my order of 72 x EVE LF280K cells and I’m starting to top balance them. I just wondered if I need to worry about compression at this stage or is it ok to do this without compressing?

Thanks,
Jamie.
Unnecessary.
Just do it when ready to assemble final configuration.
Compression is a long-term strategy unaffected by one or two charge cycles.

You can choose to do what you want. I prefer keeping cell walls straight so final assembly goes as planned. The compression for top balance is not about cell life.

Hi all,

Thanks,
Jamie.
Don't parallel top balance 72 cells.
Is the end product 9x 8s batteries?

Don't parallel top balance 72 cells.
Is the end product 9x 8s batteries?
Thanks all. No, these are to make 2 x 4s 12v and 4 x 16s 48v two of which will be built into Seplos Mason boxes along with the new heat pads they now have available controlled direct from the BMS. Fingers crossed all goes to plan :LOL:

Back