diy solar

diy solar

Connecting AC to All-In-One Solar Inverter

cgreen

I am wanting to connect my Easun 5000-watt all-in-one solar inverter with AC input to take advantage of it automatically switching between PV or battery to Grid power when the PV or battery is unavailable. However, I'm a little confused about the breaker required according to the inverter's manual (see image below or PDF attached; I have the MLV-5KW-U model highlighted in yellow).

The inverter is only 120v, not 240v, and the AC input only has inputs for (see image below or attached PDF):
  • one (1) live/hot
  • one (1) neutral
  • one (1) ground wire
Yet, the manual recommends a 2-pole 63A breaker. Wouldn't a 2P breaker require two (2) live/hot wires? How would I go about connecting 2 live/hot wires to only a single input on the inverter? And wouldn't a 2P breaker equal 240v? I'm not finding a 63A breaker to purchase, either. Any advice or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

MLV-5KW-U Easun Inverter.jpg
MLV-5KW-U AC input.jpg

Attachments

• MLV-5KW-U Easun Inverter.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • exractPdfPages_AC input.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
You are correct, with 120V input to the inverter a Single Pole, 60A breaker with #6 wire would be used for the Hot wire and a #6 Neutral would go directly to the Neutral bus in the panel. The instructions for the inverter may be referring to wiring standards for other countries, maybe the breaker table was a "cut-and-paste" job for the US 120V version.
I believe, per the NEC, you may use a #6, or downsize to a #8 ground wire. Perhaps one of the forum electricians can correct me if that is wrong info.

I believe, per the NEC, you may use a #6, or downsize to a #8 ground wire. Perhaps one of the forum electricians can correct me if that is wrong info.
6awg if it is 75c or 90c cable by NEC. Slight correction (might be grammar) only the ground wire can be downsized to 8awg.

Otherwise Bentley is correct. The manual is written for the rest of the world and then hacked up for North America.

You are correct, with 120V input to the inverter a Single Pole, 60A breaker with #6 wire would be used for the Hot wire and a #6 Neutral would go directly to the Neutral bus in the panel. The instructions for the inverter may be referring to wiring standards for other countries, maybe the breaker table was a "cut-and-paste" job for the US 120V version.
Thanks for confirming what I thought was correct - but only confused by the manual's instructions. Now, my only issue is finding a Square D Homeline single-pole 60A breaker for the subpanel I am using. Or, can I use a 2-pole 60A breaker and only wire one side of it? The subpanel which will be providing the power to the inverter only has one "lug" active, so it's only 120V; so even if a 2-pole breaker is installed, only one side of it will be "hot".

Last edited:
6awg if it is 75c or 90c cable by NEC. Slight correction (might be grammar) only the ground wire can be downsized to 8awg.

Otherwise Bentley is correct. The manual is written for the rest of the world and then hacked up for North America.
Thank you for the clarification on wire sizing!

Back