diy solar

diy solar

Conservation of Energy?

JMc

So I’m finishing the install of a battery-solar system on my travel trailer. In the past I hauled around a 2400W Yamaha generator and it served me well. The generator weighs about 90 pounds with its cables and fuel can, and it worked with two golf cart batteries that hit the scales at about 120 pounds. Total weight about 210 pounds.

My new system, 2200W inverter/charger, 600W of panels, 200AH of Battle Born batteries, and a bunch of heavy copper wire. Total weight about 270 pounds.

Don’t get me wrong it was all fun for the tinkerer in me, but truthfully, is it really progress?

Your new system has battery equal to 1 hour run-time of the generator. It recharges that once per day from the sun and will do so for a decade.
Maybe what's missing from your comparison is a 3500 gallon fuel tank or an oil derrick and refinery.

Portable generator is useful for some purposes. PV is good for extended use. It breaks even with grid power in 2 to 5 years continuous use, or with generator power in about half that.

The reduced labor and hassle factor is worth something too, but on the other hand you have to live with limited output per day.

Your new system has battery equal to 1 hour run-time of the generator. It recharges that once per day from the sun and will do so for a decade.
Maybe what's missing from your comparison is a 3500 gallon fuel tank or an oil derrick and refinery.

Portable generator is useful for some purposes. PV is good for extended use. It breaks even with grid power in 2 to 5 years continuous use, or with generator power in about half that.

The reduced labor and hassle factor is worth something too, but on the other hand you have to live with limited output per day.
A lot of energy was used to refine the silicon, lithium, aluminum and copper and to make the widgets in the new system. The fuel consumption of my tow vehicle is increased by the extra weight as well.

I hear cosmic laughter. ;)

I was hoping to reduce the overall weight in my RV trailer, but I don't think it happened. I'm avoiding crunching the numbers because I'm afraid of how much weight was added. However, I more that doubled the usable Ah and reduced the amount of time that I will need to run my on-board generator.

If I were to take the conversion to its ultimate end, I would add more battery, more solar and remove the 200+ lb generator along with the 35 gallon gasoline tank.

A lot of energy was used to refine the silicon, lithium, aluminum and copper and to make the widgets in the new system. The fuel consumption of my tow vehicle is increased by the extra weight as well.

Of course, the generator was conjured out of thin air? ;)

My new system, 2200W inverter/charger, 600W of panels, 200AH of Battle Born batteries, and a bunch of heavy copper wire. Total weight about 270 pounds.

Don’t get me wrong it was all fun for the tinkerer in me, but truthfully, is it really progress?
I really think once it’s all said and done, most PV builds that are not grid tied are not green, but make you a net polluter. But, there’s something to be said about being able to use that PV for days at a remote campsite without the sound of the generator running. LIfe’s got to be about enjoyment also, and not just chasing carbon credits.

The extra weight extracted from deep in the earth and placed on top of your trailer has increased rotational inertia of the planet, slowing its rotation. You now need a larger battery to get through the night. And don't get me started on what the ultimate catastrophe from tidal power will be.

Years ago it was said the aluminum frame around a panel added 1 year to its energy payback. Larger panels at least have proportionately smaller perimeter.
If cheap available hydro is used to refine bauxite, and the PV panel is shipped to where other renewable energy sources aren't available, it is a win. Far more mass of oil would have to be shipped to accomplish the same (maybe 10 tons, using my gas tank estimate). But only if you don't keep towing that trailer to new locations.

Of course, the Paris Accord says evil wasteful countries like U.S. must reduce CO2 emissions while China can build new coal plants for the next 50 years. I think they were a developing nation when that was decided. I say ditch the tariffs, buy all the (quality) PV panels we can at "dumping" prices until China's contamination of soil and groundwater is on par with ours.

So I’m finishing the install of a battery-solar system on my travel trailer. In the past I hauled around a 2400W Yamaha generator and it served me well. The generator weighs about 90 pounds with its cables and fuel can, and it worked with two golf cart batteries that hit the scales at about 120 pounds. Total weight about 210 pounds.

6 100w panels at 16lbs is about 100lbs
2 100Ah BB is 62lbs
162lbs total plus Inverter is ???

Your new LFP battle borns at 200Ah have a Lot more useable capacity than your 2 old golf cart batteries.
Not having to run a noisy smelly generator makes it more than worthwhile.

Back