diy solar

diy solar

Convincing your Daly smart BMS to balance your battery

Well that would be one way to solve the problem but I was trying to find a 'fix' that involves keeping my Daly while making it function more like I want it to. Not everyone has the option of simply replacing their bms. Thank you.
Good luck.

After further investigation I came to the realization that the balancing can be enabled at low currents by a simple change to the ‘Balance open current’ (‘BalCurrent’ in my post, was 30mA from factory) parameter available in sinowealth. The calibration does not have to be changed/touched. Set ‘Balance open current’ to zero (or negative if you want balance while discharging) This will enable balancing. Apologies I should not have used term ‘BalCurrent’ in my post and used ‘Balance open current’ instead.

The ‘Balance open current’ parameter is simply the threshold above which balance will start.

The cause of balance not working is indirectly related to the current enable threshold ‘DfilterCur’, which Daly seems to set to a random high value at the factory. Any current below this value (2 or 3 Amps in my case) will set current to 0. Since the balance threshold on my Daly was 30mA, it did not come at low or 0 current.

This should be set to a reasonable number higher that the ‘idle’ noise current (the raw current reading from the analog input). 200mA would be a reasonable value. At 200mA, SOC may actually start to produce reasonable results. Why: if ‘DfilterCur’ is set to 3A and you charge/discharge with 2A, the SOC will not change until overvoltage!

With these 2 changes your Daly will behave similar to the ciabatta ‘JBD’ BMS reviewed over at the off grid garage…..
hi where can i set this DfilterCur in pcmaster?
‘DfilterCur’

After further investigation I came to the realization that the balancing can be enabled at low currents by a simple change to the ‘Balance open current’ (‘BalCurrent’ in my post, was 30mA from factory) parameter available in sinowealth. The calibration does not have to be changed/touched. Set ‘Balance open current’ to zero (or negative if you want balance while discharging) This will enable balancing. Apologies I should not have used term ‘BalCurrent’ in my post and used ‘Balance open current’ instead.

The ‘Balance open current’ parameter is simply the threshold above which balance will start.

The cause of balance not working is indirectly related to the current enable threshold ‘DfilterCur’, which Daly seems to set to a random high value at the factory. Any current below this value (2 or 3 Amps in my case) will set current to 0. Since the balance threshold on my Daly was 30mA, it did not come at low or 0 current.

This should be set to a reasonable number higher that the ‘idle’ noise current (the raw current reading from the analog input). 200mA would be a reasonable value. At 200mA, SOC may actually start to produce reasonable results. Why: if ‘DfilterCur’ is set to 3A and you charge/discharge with 2A, the SOC will not change until overvoltage!

With these 2 changes your Daly will behave similar to the ciabatta ‘JBD’ BMS reviewed over at the off grid garage…..
Wish I'd found this post years ago. Also wish I'd ordered the BMS with the uart usb cable instead of the BT unit, as the BT is so limited in what you can change.

It's a good unit, really well built, with an awful user interface. So frustrating. Just add logging, update the firmware, and get a native speaker to make the software interface and it's a premium product.

hi where can i set this DfilterCur in pcmaster?
In my 16s 100A lifepo4 unit, it was the top right of the params, and it was labeled as current wave. I was only able to set it to 0.2 on my unit, so I did a current zero calibration with a 120v incandescent light bulb as a load and that calibrated the zero point at 0.3A discharge, so it thinks it is charging at 0.3A when it idle and will balance with no current flowing as long as it is above the balance start voltage and the cell delta is more than the bal start diff voltage.
I set my diff to 0.02 which is the minimum for that too. I wish i could make it 2-5mV but 0.02 isn't too bad.

Here are researches that show that Daly smart BMS 4S/100A which uses Sino Wealth SH367303 frontend IC, balances/discharges only single cell at a time, the one which has highest voltage.
If another cell appears to have higher voltage, the IC will jump to balance/discharge it and leave previous one.
PWM is 70% or 45% (on 2 a little different examples), final balance current is ~33mA as declared by Daly!

Also, important detail - DALY will not start to balance after its restart until it will see a change current for a few seconds !!!

Technical proofs are on this vid (on Ukrainian language, but titles auto-translation works well)

Back