diy solar

diy solar

Cost of solar

My 20kw generator burns .34 / .68 / 1.50 gallons of diesel/hr for 25/50/100% load. Diesel is $4/gal so 10kwh is $3.

yep, i said smaller generators are less efficient, which the OP is using. a larger generator will be a slightly different story but even with your generator solar will still pay for it self in a few years in gas costs alone not to mention the price of the generator, the hassle of dealing with it [fueling, etc...] and the nuisance of noise and smell, as well as other negative aspects of using a generator.

We had a 34 foot class A. .....
..... But after being stuck in DC traffic with my little girl crying because she had to go to the bathroom, the RV was worth it.
That's why we got a class A and love it.
It pretty much eliminated the never ending "are we there yet?" and "how much longer?"
Packing two kids in and out of hotels is a pain and something always seems to get lost or forgotten. And we like the flexibility of random roaming and do a lot of boondocking. Some of our best days were completely unplanned.
Plus, boarding the dog cost about $60/night.

Back to the thread...
Using the generator is easy and convenient. Especially as ours is built in and runs of the engine gas tank.
But, I really hate hearing the generator when we are in the middle of beautiful nowhere.
Solar and batteries are perfectly quiet and peaceful. My goal is that the loudest sound coming from our RV when we sleep is, as my kids say, my wife and I sounding like Darth Vader from using our CPAPs.
I can't wait to get my system installed! (Waiting on the slow boat from China.)

Went out to the 5er today to do some things inside. It was 65 deg F outside but inside the trailer it was 77 deg F. Time was 1500 and it was a clear day. So I powered up the system, turned on the solar and one AC unit. AC was drawing 1200W and my solar was cranking out 1200W. So I got free AC for 20 minutes. That made me giggle.

Went out to the 5er today to do some things inside. It was 65 deg F outside but inside the trailer it was 77 deg F. Time was 1500 and it was a clear day. So I powered up the system, turned on the solar and one AC unit. AC was drawing 1200W and my solar was cranking out 1200W. So I got free AC for 20 minutes. That made me giggle.
It’s the start of an addiction…😁

Back