diy solar

diy solar

Cost of solar

They saw you coming at those prices...
The only thing you did not over-pay for by much is the panels, which you paid $1 per watt. 70 cents per watt is about the going rate on ebay.
Yes, you can buy the most expensive brand name components and be happy, but then you forfeit the right to complain about price. There are cheaper alternatives out there that do the same thing, argue quality comparison, but falls on deaf ears a lot of the time unless that is the specific topic of discussion.
I have 600 watts and 400 amp hrs.
panels $450 total
mounting hardware $0 (use scrap aluminum)
3M tape $15
Wires and connectors $50
Circuit breakers for DC $48
3x controllers $102 ($21, 21 then 60 for exact same item months apart)
400 a/h batteries $1300
DC-DC $100
Shunts $30
DC panel $7
Battery disconnect $17
Inverter $47
MT50 and dongle $30
3x Gland entry point $22

$2,218.
I might have missed some incidentals, but this is the bulk of what makes the system go. We are way apart on price, but you do have the name brand stuff. If we add another $450 to bring my solar up to your 1200 watts (SAME WATTS/SAME AMP HRS) then still Im under $3k. You have some luxury items on the list that is not needed to make a system run, but are nice to have. I also have a few small items that are not needed, but make life easier.

The answer is ease. Cranking a generator and putting gas in it is not what I want to be doing. Battery power is so much easier than generator power, battery power is always there and can be used as needed, one second at a time or all night long, or 24/7 since we have solar. You can have battery power with a gas generator just the same, run generator once per day to recharge the batteries ( a big chunk of your budget given the has-been name brand batts you have).
Yes, for me, it is worth the extra price.
Buy it right buy it once.

At those prices, either you bought used hardware, or they're PWM controllers, which means you're losing 20% of your solar potential, and you can only use the proper nominal voltage panels in parallel.

The only thing I would count on a $47 MSW inverter for is to charge a laptop or cell phone - UNLESS you lucked into a quality used inverter/charger.

Nothing wrong with a budget system, but for what you have, that feels over priced.

How does your system handle charging from shore power or switching between single phase 15/30A shore and split phase 50A shore?
Sorry, you are wrong on all accounts, and I have never charged from shore power, I have solar, I have alternator.
Everything I bought is new.
Pure sine wave inverter, 300watts is big enough as I do not try to imitate a house. I have a 2000 REnogy sitting around but have never needed it. Don't buy a bigger inverter than you actually need. Yes, a laptop or tool charger or tv or other small things work perfectly fine on 300 watts - I have propane, so no electric stove needed and I run AC on generator, fridge is DC. I almost never turn the inverter on, and when I find a 12 volt tv I probably will never turn it on. I have the same inverter in my vehicle and that is what actually charges tools and laptop. Everyone's needs are different.
MPPT, and prices were lower before bidan, now doubled or more, thus the price difference. What a difference a little shopping around makes on prices you pay.
There is nothing on my system that is a quality compromise, it may not be what you have but it is quality.
ahh, why did I just waste my time responding....

Last edited:
Sorry, you are wrong on all accounts,

I don't see where.

You didn't get MPPT controllers for $21. They might say "MPPT" on them, but they aren't. Lots of fakes out there.

and I have never charged from shore power, I have solar, I have alternator.

But the OP does need charging from shore power, so you don't have features he does.

Everything I bought is new.
Pure sine wave inverter, 300watts is big enough as I do not try to imitate a house.

Okay, so minimally useful.

I have a 2000 victron sitting around but have never needed it.

This counts. Now you're up to what... $3K?

Don't buy a bigger inverter than you actually need. Yes, a laptop or tool charger or tv or other small things work perfectly fine on 300 watts - I have propane, so no electric stove needed and I run AC on generator, fridge is DC. I almost never turn the inverter on, and when I find a 12 volt tv I probably will never turn it on. I have the same inverter in my vehicle and that is what actually charges tools and laptop. Everyone's needs are different.

Exactly, and for you to pay nearly 1/3 the price of the OP for such a limited system supports my claim that you overpaid for what you have.

MPPT, and prices were lower before bidan,

Just LOL.

now doubled or more, thus the price difference. What a difference a little shopping around makes on prices you pay.

Nope. The vast majority of recognizable name brand MPPT haven't increased, and most have decreased.

There is nothing on my system that is a quality compromise, it may not be what you have but it is quality.

We have very different definitions of quality.

ahh, why did I just waste my time responding....

Because I struck a nerve, and you're defensive? For your original response to start with, "They saw you coming with those prices..." you really set the tone here.

You paid $2-3K for a set of tinkertoys that meets your needs and you wasted money on stuff you're not using. OP spent a reasonable price for a highly capable system that meets his needs with 50 years of reliability behind it.

I stand by my original claim. Sounds like YOU overpaid for what you have.

What started me down this nutty path of big blue shiny stuff was when I installed a Victron smart shunt and found this rat's nest:
View attachment 209502

My electrical OCD just couldn't handle that. So I redid the whole system. This is what I took out:
View attachment 209504

That rat's nest was replaced by about 10 ft of wire. Now I can look at my system and not get brain pain.
I'm with you. If nothing else the cost is worth it just to get in and clean up the RV wiring a tad. LOLIMG_9897.jpeg

I just went through my system diagram and put current prices on all the kit. $6550 plus tax. Add another $450 for mounting hardwire, wires and misc. and I'm at $7k for a 1200W solar, 400Ah, 3000VA system. Then I look at my little 2500W Champion inverter generator and wonder why I just didn't get it a friend and a couple of jugs of gas. Waaaaaayyyyyyyy cheaper. C'est la vie.
View attachment 209057
It pays to be frugal. I’m less than $10k in to 60kwh of battery, 23kw of panels, and 10kw of inverter.
Obviously panel racking is gonna kill me but one can be fairly simple/cheap too.
A pair of 3kw inverters and 4 eco-worthy batteries sets one back less than 2500 bucks. Could easily get as many panels as you can fit for under 500. That just dropped your buy in, in half
They frown on campfires. Though, have at the bed bugs. Take your black light to check for human fluids. And don't forget to check for cameras.

Add to that the cost of food and drink at restaurants. With an RV, you have your bathroom with you where ever you go, which is huge with kids and older people. Not much to do inside a motel room. With an RV, you have everything you need with you at all times, no need to drag things in and out.
and mold, water leaks, cheap plumbing, cheap hvac, r5 insulation at best, 7mpg wherever I want to go instead of 15, 60ft of length pulling in and out of parking lots, endless propane usage.
It gets old.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d still rather “camp” but we have also rented hotel rooms so we could simply spread out as well

My mom lives three hours from us. I go visit her all the time but my wife is reticent to join me. My mom is not the tidiest person in the world. My wife found seaweed six inches tall growing in the Keurig machine water holder thingy. So we just bring the 5er. She lives in the country and we just park in the open yard next to her house. Wifey has a nice, clean place to sleep and make her own coffee. Win/Win.

I don't see where.

You didn't get MPPT controllers for $21. They might say "MPPT" on them, but they aren't. Lots of fakes out there.

But the OP does need charging from shore power, so you don't have features he does.

Okay, so minimally useful.

This counts. Now you're up to what... $3K?

Exactly, and for you to pay nearly 1/3 the price of the OP for such a limited system supports my claim that you overpaid for what you have.

Just LOL.

Nope. The vast majority of recognizable name brand MPPT haven't increased, and most have decreased.

We have very different definitions of quality.

Because I struck a nerve, and you're defensive? For your original response to start with, "They saw you coming with those prices..." you really set the tone here.

You paid $2-3K for a set of tinkertoys that meets your needs and you wasted money on stuff you're not using. OP spent a reasonable price for a highly capable system that meets his needs with 50 years of reliability behind it.

I stand by my original claim. Sounds like YOU overpaid for what you have.
you can stop now, sometimes it can be helpful to disagree, but sometimes you are just wrong when you try to second guess things and info you do not have. EPever solar controller used to be that cheap on ebay, prices have increased. Sometimes you can find really good deals on the internet, below avg prices do not mean one has bought the fake stuff, it just means one has got a really good deal, twice in this case.
Seems the ame amp hours as he has, less panels, but I accounted for that. House charging add so very little to the price, literally you can charge the bulk with grandpas old car charger and then let the solar to the last little bit, so do not think op has it over on anyone by having the latest charging tech. I literally have solar that can keep up, and when the sun is away too long I can just connect the alt. ok, idk why you must argue. you do you and dont be sad trying to argue, there is nothing to disagree with in my post other than you dont want to believe I bought something cheaper than you did. sorry you over paid, but just suck it up and keep it to yourself and stop trying to tel everyone that their system is inferior to yours, it is not, not by a long shot.

It pays to be frugal. I’m less than $10k in to 60kwh of battery, 23kw of panels, and 10kw of inverter.
Obviously panel racking is gonna kill me but one can be fairly simple/cheap too.
A pair of 3kw inverters and 4 eco-worthy batteries sets one back less than 2500 bucks. Could easily get as many panels as you can fit for under 500. That just dropped your buy in, in half

and mold, water leaks, cheap plumbing, cheap hvac, r5 insulation at best, 7mpg wherever I want to go instead of 15, 60ft of length pulling in and out of parking lots, endless propane usage.
It gets old.
Don’t get me wrong, I’d still rather “camp” but we have also rented hotel rooms so we could simply spread out as well
We had a 34 foot class A. Put 58K on it. Sure, had to fix a few things here and there, but nothing big. Never had mold or plumbing issues. Heating and cooling was never an issue. We stayed in Vegas when it was 113 in the shade, camped in the mountains when it froze over night, never an issue staying comfortable. Drove it everywhere, through NYC, cross country and back, on ferries, you name it. Only issue was the gas, yeah, that was expensive. But after being stuck in DC traffic with my little girl crying because she had to go to the bathroom, the RV was worth it.

Last edited:
We had a 34 foot class A. Put 58K on it. Sure, had to fix a few things here and there, but nothing big. Never had mold or plumbing issues. Heating and cooling was never an issue. We stayed in Vegas when it was 113 in the shade, camped in the mountains when it froze over night, never an issue staying comfortable. Drove it everywhere, through NYC, cross country and back, on ferries, you name it. Only issue was the gas, yeah, that was expensive. But after being stuck in DC traffic with my little girl crying because she had to go to the bathroom, the RV was worth it.
I can’t tell you how much money we have saved in the last 600 some odd days despite the hiccups in the process

you can stop now, sometimes it can be helpful to disagree, but sometimes you are just wrong when you try to second guess things and info you do not have. EPever solar controller used to be that cheap on ebay, prices have increased. Sometimes you can find really good deals on the internet, below avg prices do not mean one has bought the fake stuff, it just means one has got a really good deal, twice in this case.

I can stop, but you can continue to blather on? Interesting tactic.

You started this with "They saw you coming at those prices"

YOU set the negative tone and started the criticism of others.

Seems the ame amp hours as he has, less panels, but I accounted for that. House charging add so very little to the price, literally you can charge the bulk with grandpas old car charger and then let the solar to the last little bit, so do not think op has it over on anyone by having the latest charging tech. I literally have solar that can keep up, and when the sun is away too long I can just connect the alt. ok, idk why you must argue. you do you and dont be sad trying to argue, there is nothing to disagree with in my post other than you dont want to believe I bought something cheaper than you did. sorry you over paid, but just suck it up and keep it to yourself and stop trying to tel everyone that their system is inferior to yours, it is not, not by a long shot.

Are you paying attention or are talking to someone else? I have made no comparison to my system at any time. If you'd like a comparison, I've spent more than both of you combined. My system is way more capable, and it does exactly what I need it to do. It will power a house in the future. Tinkertoys won't meet my needs, but I enjoy playing with them, and they have their place. I have a set as backup in the event two other layers of backup options fail.

You can be as cheap as you want to be. I totally respect that. You can cobble together whatever Rube Goldberg setup you want using 3-4 devices that can be accomplished with one. Enjoy that. Understand that you're going to criticize someone for their choice to spend extra for value, convenience and function in a public forum, you get subjected to the same scrutiny.

BTW... you still overpaid for what you have. Sorry you can't see it.

Those green top white side Interstates are good batteries. I bought one 5 years ago as my first power outage system, to charge laptops and phones. I use it to power my BMS now.

Those green top white side Interstates are good batteries. I bought one 5 years ago as my first power outage system, to charge laptops and phones. I use it to power my BMS now.

I have one in one of my 5ers. I got it used when it was about 6 months old, and it only tested to about 60% capacity. After two equalizations, it was over 90%, and that was about 4 years ago. It's not doing much besides floating, but it's been called upon several times to run the 12V system when I've taken AC power offline, never a hiccup.

Ditch the blue stuff. Buy an AIO inverter controller, one affordable box to replace all the blue stuff.
Build your own battery. You obviously have the skill to design a solar system, so, build a battery.
Buy used panels from someone like Santan Solar.

I built a 48v 280Ah battery and combined with 1200wattSolar/3000InverterController for $5000 all in about 18 months ago.
I could do it again now for at least $800 less.

You have other options. Blue is great stuff, but despite the clamoring about the dangers of AIO systems, Mine had been flawless for 14 months and I have not seen waves of horror stories here or else where...

YMMV IANAL

cheers

Ditch the blue stuff. Buy an AIO inverter controller, one affordable box to replace all the blue stuff.
Build your own battery. You obviously have the skill to design a solar system, so, build a battery.
Buy used panels from someone like Santan Solar.

I built a 48v 280Ah battery and combined with 1200wattSolar/3000InverterController for $5000 all in about 18 months ago.
I could do it again now for at least $800 less.

You have other options. Blue is great stuff, but despite the clamoring about the dangers of AIO systems, Mine had been flawless for 14 months and I have not seen waves of horror stories here or else where...

YMMV IANAL

cheers
Ditch the most solid and stable system on the market with decades of proven results for a Chinese AIO thats brand new. What's the real world idle consumption of your AIO?

Back