diy solar

diy solar

Current limiting

slowbutsure

Hi

Anyone know of a way to ensure current does not back feed to the grid without using a limiter that connects to the inverter? For example is there a a breaker with a diode that ensures current only flows one way? Thanks.

What inverter?
If it's not a grid-tied capable inverter. Do not let it feed the grid. Unless you like watching smoke come out of things.

Question. How does this backfeeding thing happen?

The inverter produces power according to load to supply the load. It doesn’t produce more than the load, as I understand it. So where does the extra backfeeding come from? Just trying to understand.

The inverter produces power according to load to supply the load. It doesn’t produce more than the load, as I understand it. So where does the extra backfeeding come from? Just trying to understand.

The inverter connects itself to the grid so that it can charge the batteries. The inverter tries to keep the energy flowing into the house but at low charging power, it is hard to keep it exactly balanced. If, at lower power draw from the grid, there are large load changes, the inverter may sell back to the grid some but momentarily and should come back around quickly, too. Unless the inverter/charger is TRYING to sell back to the grid. It all depends on the software in the inverter/charger and possibly your utility power meter.

AFAIK, there is no AC diode like product out there.

boB

If it is a grid-tied inverter. It produces everything it can and pushes it to the grid meter.
If your loads are less than what it produces, the rest goes to the grid.

For example is there a a breaker with a diode that ensures current only flows one way?
A breaker would be herky jerky having to reset it all the time. A diode wouldn't work because the grid is AC. The best idea has already been suggested, buy an inverter which has a zero export setting. I actually have an export agreement with my power company for 6.6 kWs of export. I added more panels and limit my export to 7 kW which keeps me under the 1kW I can add without going to a less favorable NEM agreement.

Inverter produces X to power Load of X. AC shuts off, and load goes to something a lot less than X. Inverter continues producing X for a short period before it can sense the drop in Load and reduce production. That excess power has to go somewhere. If batteries are full, it goes to the Grid.

They have the same problem in France, their meters count incoming and outgoing energy as all incoming and charge accordingly.

This is the device they use to prevent overcharging, it sends any excess PV to a resistive load ie an immersion heater.

I run an older UK version in the UK to ensure I use all I produce as I do not get paid for export.

Back