diy solar

diy solar

DC upscaling for PV's? is it possible?

g-a-b-r-i-e-l

Hello, i have 18v PV panels on my boat and all the inverter chargers im looking at are requiring 100v+ to begin operating. I want to keep them wired in parallel due to shading often found on the canal system, is there any technology or device that upscales the voltage to a workable voltage for the MPPT to use?
Thank you in advance
Gabe

Those 18v panels have or need bypass diodes so that power of the series group will continue forward in mixed shade conditions.
Is the battery 12v? If so a separate controller to just charge the battery could be utilized. Separate inverter for 120vac needs.

Hi, thanks for replying.
they're 36v and the only suitable solutions without breaking the bank require 100v+ on solar.

Im not technical to the level to know what bypass diodes are and if the panels have them or not.
But the nature of the canal system with overhanging trees etc, is that until enough sunlight is on the panels to produce the said 100v+ ill be missing out on a lot of potential charge, hence ive been advised in the past to stick with parallel.
I guess, by you not stating the technology/devices, there just isnt any?
Thank you again

I am not aware of an electrical device that will step up DC voltage as you are requesting. (if it exists it would be terribly inefficient)
The bypass diodes are about other panels still working even though one panel is shaded. (this would kill the other panels in a series string (unless you have the diodes)
Parallel wiring gives you more amperage and the same voltage.
Series wiring gives you more voltage and the same amperage.
You MUST get your voltage up enough to be able to run your charger.
Choice A. parallel - get no charge ever.
Choice B. series - get charge when in full sun and no shade.
Good luck friend.

Hello, i have 18v PV panels on my boat and all the inverter chargers im looking at are requiring 100v+ to begin operating. I want to keep them wired in parallel due to shading often found on the canal system, is there any technology or device that upscales the voltage to a workable voltage for the MPPT to use?
Thank you in advance
Gabe

Hi, thanks for replying.
they're 36v and the only suitable solutions without breaking the bank require 100v+ on solar.

I have an All-In-One Hybrid charge controller which starts charging at 35 volts from the array.
I'm confused as to whether you have 18 volts with all your panels in parallel or 36 volts.

Are you on a "Narrow Boat"?

I have an All-In-One Hybrid charge controller which starts charging at 35 volts from the array.
I'm confused as to whether you have 18 volts with all your panels in parallel or 36 volts.

Are you on a "Narrow Boat"?
thanks for replying and sorry for the confusion.
The batteries are 36v and the panels are 18v. it wouldn't be the worst thing to wire 2 panels in series to make 36v, as they're 100w panels and there are 14 in total, with 2 larger panels.
Most hybrid inverters ive looked at won't charge to 36v batteries, thats the sticking point.
I think ive made up my mind, just to boost the system with an additional MPPT that accepts 18v and charges to 36v and tht should suffice.
My question was really to save the need to get a separate inverter and MPPT and ideally get a combined unit whether it be hybrid, but its simpler to do it this way on consideration and if im patient with picking up a second mppt, shouldn't cost that much more.
But its also to expand my awareness of solar in general as there are always advancing technologies and like to keep up with the field to see if theres another way of doing things, that could future proof the system or improve it in ways i cannot imagine, like new technologies do.
But thanks to all that posted and thank you for helping me to come to a relatively quick conclusion, to my answer as i know alot of forums i read through, the posts go on for pages, before the answer is a simple yes or no.
Much gratitude
Gabe

You need to get a boost charge controller to charge at 36V if panel output is only 18V mppt requires a HIGHER voltage from the panels than the batteries.

Back