diy solar

diy solar

Decisions, choices

roadfire

I am ready to pull the trigger I am dealing with Signature Solar, as they are in my local area. I have already spoken with the design team, and am curious about recommendations.
My usage is 18007Kw, residential, on the grid. All electric except heat, I do use window a/c units to cool whatever room is being used.
I would like to use solar 100% with the grid as an emergency backup.

36 455watt split cell mono perc panels
2 18KPV hybrid Inverters or 2 EG4 6500ex-48 inverters
4 or 6 EG4-LL Batteries

would the 2 18KPV inverters be overkill?

I want to use my house on solar just as if I'm on the grid Really don't want to change my family's lifestyle, don't want to have to not use this so I can use that.
Any recommendations?

I am ready to pull the trigger I am dealing with Signature Solar, as they are in my local area. I have already spoken with the design team, and am curious about recommendations.
My usage is 18007Kw, residential, on the grid. All electric except heat, I do use window a/c units to cool whatever room is being used.

4 or 6 EG4-LL Batteries

I want to use my house on solar just as if I'm on the grid Really don't want to change my family's lifestyle, don't want to have to not use this so I can use that.
Any recommendations?
Usage is 18kW?
Or do you mean to say daily consumption 18kWh?
Huge difference.

Im sure you do not need 2 of the 18kw inverters., you will want at least 6 of the batteries
what part of east Tx are you in ?, Im near greenville

4 or 6 EG4-LL Batteries

Any recommendations?
With your stated goal, at least double the batteries IMO. I have 12 and will be adding at least 6 more. I'm down close to Livingston so similar weather pattern although you'll get more cold than we do. My usage was a little higher before solar at around 25K kw a year. I have 32 similar panels from SS and will probably add 8 to 16 more. I currently have 2 LV6548 which is a Voltronic clone like the EG4 6500 so very similar. I'm looking at upgrading to the 18KPV and I'll probably do two of them. Do I require two of them to run my house? Probably not or at least I could get really close as one of those is almost equal to the two I have. But I'll go with two because I want the redundancy as the total output of 100A AC will actually carry the whole house where 50a or even the 60a I have now is not quite enough. There are other features with the 18KPV that must make it a better option for me. Alas, I'm going to have to wait until this fall at least before I can do the upgrade but I'm very much looking forward to it. But given the option of two of the EG4 6500 inverters or one of the 18 KPV, I'd go with the 18 KPV every time. FWIW. Good luck!

4 or 6 EG4-LL Batteries

Any recommendations?
I would guess one 18kpv is probably best to go with to start, 2 6500 are equal to 1 18kpv in capacity, plus the 18kpv has a load shed socket if needed

I’m the same way.

I have 2 Sol-Ark 15ks and I will never come close to using all that.

That is the point when you’re 69 and doing stuff for the last time.

Future proofing.
67 here but close enough. But this isn't the last time for me! I've got at least a couple more good adventures left in me.

But I agree on future proofing as much as possible. If one dies I still have power until I figure it out or get it replaced. Peace of mind is worth something.

67 here but close enough. But this isn't the last time for me! I've got at least a couple more good adventures left in me.

But I agree on future proofing as much as possible. If one dies I still have power until I figure it out or get it replaced. Peace of mind is worth something.
I hear ya.

I just don’t like doing things twice.

I thought I was done with the Dual 12ks but the 15k gave me a little more head room.

The wiring is so much easier with the 15ks also.

Allen grub Screws instead of Phillips head screws.
4/0 cabling vs 6 gauge.
Lots of room and great layout.

I seriously doubt I will do it again though.

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.
You really need an energy audit before you make any decision. The draw and the surge can vary a lot on any of the loads you've described and estimated usage is a gamble at best.

Regardless of what your actual needs are, this is not an apples to apples comparison. The Schneider is solid as a rock based on all the reviews and their track record (I have no personal experience). That said, it is a 6.8kw inverter vs the EG4 being a 12kw inverter. You'll also need a CC with the Schneider if you're comparing costs. So if you're only going by specs and price, the EG4 wins hands down. But the EG4 is new and relatively unproven compared to Schneider. I've gone back and forth on this a few times myself looking at two of the Schneider vs one of the EG4. I'm actually leaning towards two of the EG4 but I'm not quite ready to do either just yet.

If you can do an energy audit you're going to know for sure how much capacity you need. Until then it's just guessing. I've done plenty of that myself and it almost always ends up costing me in the long run. There are a ton of other arguments for and against either option. I think the audit then a lot of research is going to be your best path forward.

I hear ya.

I just don’t like doing things twice.

I thought I was done with the Dual 12ks but the 15k gave me a little more head room.

The wiring is so much easier with the 15ks also.

Allen grub Screws instead of Phillips head screws.
4/0 cabling vs 6 gauge.
Lots of room and great layout.

I seriously doubt I will do it again though.
After this next round I likely won't do it again either, but you never know. I'm probably more likely to "do it again" in the way of doing a system for family. I would say family and friends but I don't know if I like any of my friends that much. Come to think of it, I don't know if I like any of my family that much either. Hmmm. So probably more because I would enjoy doing another one from scratch minus some of the mistakes I've made on this one. ?

Thanks for the reply. I have done the research on the well and hot water heater and AC unit. Have thrown that out there to signature solar and they said that either unit would handle it. The biggest difference for me is that the Schneider has quite a nice surge capacity. If you add the other stuff you need to get for the Schneider, you are only about $100 difference between the two units with the Schneider being the cheaper. But now you can get $500 off the eg4 unit. The simplicity of wiring up the eg4 makes a difference for me also along with taking up just a little less room. Hard to know. More research required. Thanks again.
You really need an energy audit before you make any decision. The draw and the surge can vary a lot on any of the loads you've described and estimated usage is a gamble at best.

Regardless of what your actual needs are, this is not an apples to apples comparison. The Schneider is solid as a rock based on all the reviews and their track record (I have no personal experience). That said, it is a 6.8kw inverter vs the EG4 being a 12kw inverter. You'll also need a CC with the Schneider if you're comparing costs. So if you're only going by specs and price, the EG4 wins hands down. But the EG4 is new and relatively unproven compared to Schneider. I've gone back and forth on this a few times myself looking at two of the Schneider vs one of the EG4. I'm actually leaning towards two of the EG4 but I'm not quite ready to do either just yet.

If you can do an energy audit you're going to know for sure how much capacity you need. Until then it's just guessing. I've done plenty of that myself and it almost always ends up costing me in the long run. There are a ton of other arguments for and against either option. I think the audit then a lot of research is going to be your best path forward.

If you're using a conventional electric water heater, you may wish to consider changing it out for a heat pump water heater. I have one and it's way more efficient. Will probably pay for itself in less battery and inverter capacity being needed.

If you're using a conventional electric water heater, you may wish to consider changing it out for a heat pump water heater. I have one and it's way more efficient. Will probably pay for itself in less battery and inverter capacity being needed.
That would be nice, but mine went bad last year and I just installed a brand new one last fall. A bit of money too. oh well

You're going to spend more in extra battery capacity to feed that water heater than it would cost to replace it.

You're going to spend more in extra battery capacity to feed that water heater than it would cost to replace it.
Just glanced on the interent for basic costs and your right. About the same for a heat pump water heater or an eg4 rack battery.

After this next round I likely won't do it again either, but you never know. I'm probably more likely to "do it again" in the way of doing a system for family. I would say family and friends but I don't know if I like any of my friends that much. Come to think of it, I don't know if I like any of my family that much either. Hmmm. So probably more because I would enjoy doing another one from scratch minus some of the mistakes I've made on this one. ?
Sure I plan on helping my Grandkids do their houses . I just doubt I will do mine anymore.

Definitely go faster this time because I have already made those mistakes once or twice before.

Only thing that’s hard on me is setting the array and the panels.
Everything is is relatively easy.

Back