diy solar

diy solar

Deye Hybrid Split-Phase Inverters - Discontinued in favor of SOL-ARK

lol
Sol-Ark is 1/10th of the company that Deye is.
They can't demand anything. Only ask nicely, and hope that it makes good business sense.

If they do in fact own the IP, they can dictate what happens in the U.S. market. Any patent or copyright they have would apply here. Maybe also in certain other markets.

So what Robby is saying is that SolArk is a product who's hardware and software design originated in the U.S.
Perhaps it is. Clones could of course copy the circuitry, couldn't legally use software or PCB layout where U.S. property rights apply. Letting manufacturer make for Chinese market was of course a standard term of doing business, may not apply for all clients and manufacturers.

lol
Sol-Ark is 1/10th of the company that Deye is.
They can't demand anything. Only ask nicely, and hope that it makes good business sense.
And yet they Demanded that Deye stop making Split Phase units and Deye complied within a week.

Individuals are allowed to bring personal-use quantities of counterfeit items like watches and clothes through US customers. Copyright violations like pirated software, they can't.

I'm not sure about licensed copies meant for other markets, like $30 paperback textbooks vs. $300 hardcover US editions, or a SolArk clone authorized only to be sold in foreign markets.

Individuals are allowed to bring personal-use quantities of counterfeit items like watches and clothes through US customers. Copyright violations like pirated software, they can't.

I'm not sure about licensed copies meant for other markets, like $30 paperback textbooks vs. $300 hardcover US editions, or a SolArk clone authorized only to be sold in foreign markets.
Exactly and that is why people in the US that are trying to get Deye Inverters shipped to them directly from China are being told No by Alibaba sellers and others! Sol-Ark has probably already alerted US customs to the problem and since Solar Bans on China are already a hot topic the CCP has probably told Alibaba and the rest not to even think of violating any US Copyright laws when it comes to Solar products.

When they were using solarman, that dongle is essentially a slave device to the solarman cloud, and they had complete access to do anything they wanted - @robby corrected me in the next comment that they were no longer using Solarman but using Powerview for data logging purposes only (emphasis for drive-by thread glancing like we all do).
Yea power view is Ok is just slow.
I use Solar Assistant now on a PI 4.

I just hook up the dongles and submit the form if I want or need an update.

I see the attempt then make a temporary rule for them.

Yea power view is Ok is just slow.
I use Solar Assistant now on a PI 4.

I just hook up the dongles and submit the form if I want or need an update.

I see the attempt then make a temporary rule for them.
Slow you mean as in the update time for data? Yes the 5 minute updates suck!
They say that when their software hits the market they will be updating in 30 second Intervals. I told them that 30 seconds is still to slow, I need a local IP for real time data updates.

I am not talking about @copec but we have some other users on this Forum who for some reason cannot grasp the concept of an American Company designing building and debugging the technology in America and then contracting the Chinese to build it for them. Even though this is the Normal operational policy of about 90% of American tech companies.?

Maybe Sol-Arks mistake was letting Deye make units for the Chinese market. Most US companies will not openly allow that but I suspect that it probably enabled Sol-Ark to get a better deal on the factory retooling costs and I suspect that cash was probably an issue for them back then.

As for the Firmware, whatever source code Deye was given a year ago, is it!
If they can muddle through and make some rudimentary changes you will be lucky. If you have ever worked with someone else's source code you will know exactly what I mean. Sol-Ark has been super busy updating the Firmware in the USA and they are constantly adding new features and improving existing features.
Unfortunately a lot of startups do this.
We don’t have the infrastructure here to do it ourselves anymore.
Plus if you do manage to design, build, Market anything they just buy one and reverse engineer it and sell clones at a cheap price and put you out of business anyway.

I guess you can guess firmware changes based upon the hardware but that seems inefficient at best.

Slow you mean as in the update time for data? Yes the 5 minute updates suck!
They say that when their software hits the market they will be updating in 30 second Intervals. I told them that 30 seconds is still to slow, I need a local IP for real time data updates.
Yea if they can get near real time then It would be good but I imagine it’s all cloud based. That takes some time to get it from the inverter to the DB then query it back out so 30 seconds seems reasonable and will probably work for most people.
I’ll take a look at it when they implement it..

Yea if they can get near real time then It would be good but I imagine it’s all cloud based. That takes some time to get it from the inverter to the DB then query it back out so 30 seconds seems reasonable and will probably work for most people.
I’ll take a look at it when they implement it..
I agree that 30 seconds probably is the best you can do when your using cloud based backup but for my case usage I really want to see it in real time. In my mind it's not all that complicated. They send out all the data as normal to the cloud every 30 seconds but they also use the local IP to send a limited set of data constantly. Basically all I need to see is what it up on the Home Screen of the LCD. Solar,Grid,Battery and PV production. Everything else can still be delayed for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
I agree that 30 seconds probably is the best you can do when your using cloud based backup but for my case usage I really want to see it in real time. In my mind it's not all that complicated. They send out all the data as normal to the cloud every 30 seconds but they also use a local IP to send a limited set of data constantly. Basically all I need to see is what it up on the Home Screen of the LCD. Solar,Grid,Battery and PV production. Everything else can be delayed for even for 5 minutes.
True.
You can get the IP of the Dongle easy enough. Polling it and pulling it into something useful I’m not sure.

I haven’t polled the open ports on the inverter IP to see what’s established or listening to when they are in.

I assume they are just using CANBUS/Modbus over IP but I don’t know for sure.

You could use Wireshark or something similar to do a packet sniff to see format.

Something to look into I guess when they switch over..

Last edited:
And yet they Demanded that Deye stop making Split Phase units and Deye complied within a week.
They didn't demand anything. They asked, and Deye said ok. Not sure if Sol-Ark made it worth it. Or as you have suggested , the US market isn't big enough to matter. But either way, Sol-Ark was selling most of the Deye inverters in the US market, already. So Deye probably didn't care either way.

They didn't demand anything. They asked, and Deye said ok. Not sure if Sol-Ark made it worth it. Or as you have suggested , the US market isn't big enough to matter. But either way, Sol-Ark was selling most of the Deye inverters in the US market, already. So Deye probably didn't care either way.
Uh no! I got the story before the Split Phase was even stopped was that they were not asking, they were demanding.
I was told it was going to cease being available very shortly or else! And it stopped just like they said it would.

Deye DID care because they had a nice little thing going between South America and the Caribbean with units like SkyTrak, Greensun and possibly Huayu. I was told these would all disappear and they did. Also Deye had a nice little grey market operation going, as these units were making there way into the USA and Canada as both Deye and the other rebranded versions. They probably lost more unit sales then what they supply Sol-Ark.

BTW the Chinese would not give a crap about a "request" from Sol-Ark. Unless you have the IP tied up in a way that could screw Deye out of European market and other Western markets.
If not they would not care.
If Sol-Ark was just another distributor like Sunsync they would just find another US Distributor and kept on doing what they were doing.

Last edited:
But since Sol-Ark was the the most popular rebranded seller, of the split-phase configuration. It just made sense to keep them in place.

But since Sol-Ark was the the most popular rebranded seller, of the split-phase configuration. It just made sense to keep them in place.
Would you have cared if it was sold by Schnieder under a different name?

I wouldn't care who sold it, or under what name.
As long as they didn't lie about it being designed and built by US Veterans. Just to put more money in their pockets.
They did design it and they built the first 30 units in the USA. They should have changed the built in USA part once they contracted to have them mass produced in China.

Yeah, those are just Deye inverters with a Greensun label. I know pretty much all the major (and minor) players in the market. Sadly all resellers are cut off. Many have removed the inverters from their websites/offerings. Even GSL (one of their larger benefactors) is cut off outside of this last batch run being manufactured now.

I'm working on a solution for that now. The single-phase versions of the Deye inverters are not only cheaper but should work with an AT (autotransformer) without issue for a total installed cost that is about the same. I may post further on this, not sure yet. I have to check I believe the software even includes the setting for UL1741SA etc. As many know, most NA PV inverters are 240V native (neutral sense) and the battery backup function from a lot of high-end brands is assisted with an autotransformer. SMA Sunny Boy Storage (Automatic Backup Unit W/Autoformer), SolarEdge, Solis, etc. This is about the same.

They have discontinued all split-phase models sadly. There will simply not produce any further units outside of the SOL-ARK units.

Edit: The above information is now incorrect. Deye is still producing them & we're still sourcing them.
I am a bit late here but trying hard to get a 8kw split phase DEYE how can I go about getting it. I am in the Caribbean???

Build an open source inverter, screw these guys. We're trying to help the planet with renewables. How do we expect mass adoption when it's so prohibitively protectionist and profit before all? Much like a lot of US *industries* eh? Healthcare, education, etc.

Back